What's new

my superb B&B brush stinks!! help ...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Okay, I got my B&B brush yesterday (horn silvertip). I love it.

But ... there's a definite odour that comes from it, especially when wet ... ugh!! So, I know this is 'normal' and not a problem, but what's the best way to get rid of this odour ASAP?

I tried a borax solution soak, shampoo, coconut hair conditioner, and a few weeks of daily use; then another borax solution soak, vinegar & water soak, & some more daily uses. It now smells pretty reasonable.
That finest grade of badger hair must be from some awful strong smelling species of mountain badgers! :w00t:

Doc - I got the same brush and followed all the steps to rid the brush of its animal scent. However, its taken about 3 Borax soaks and regular use for nearly 2 weeks to eliminate the scent.:cursing:

Ebony Finest...

mine has a smell/odor, but it reminds me more of a new vacuum smell versus an animal odor. Definitely more intense when wet.

I've lathered some test lathers and I'm hoping that will do it...

I've tried all the usual destenchifying remedies (borax, mild vinegar solution, regular shampoo/conditioner etc.) and in my experience the quickest and most effective way of knocking out the niff is to lather up with some deodorizing pet shampoo. Now, you may have to rinse and repeat several times depending on the stenchitude of your brush, but the deodorizing pet shampoo will absolutely get the job done (and since it's intended for animals, it shouldn't be too harsh on your brush, either).

I just used mine for a week, using smelly soaps like Sandlewood, and now it smells yummy. I didn't do the borax thing, cause I don't really trust chemicals on my expensive brush.

Doc - I got the same brush and followed all the steps to rid the brush of its animal scent. However, its taken about 3 Borax soaks and regular use for nearly 2 weeks to eliminate the scent.:cursing:

That sounds about like mine, but it's still got a hint of reek to it. It's nothing bad now, and I have to stick my nose right in the brush to smell it, but it's there.

No complaints, though, but it is interesting to see that I'm not the only one.

Mike

Is it possible that the common bleaching process destenchifies a normal badger brush, and that the odor is worse when this isn't done?

In any case, it will go away with use, regardless of what you do to it. I had a destenchifying thread on SMF about how Febreze worked pretty well on an omega boar, if you want a go at speeding things up

I used the classicshaving brush cleaner on mine. It reduced the smell by about 75%. A week of use and the smell will be gone. I had the same issue with a Simpson's chubby.

Mine only smelled strongly of a disinfectant (Jeyes Fluid perhaps, or mothballs) Definitley no smell of badger.

Is that what you are all smelling and confusing it with essence of badger?

After using it for about a week it only smells of Taylor's whatever I used last!

Gareth

The Badger is a member of the Weasel family including the Mink, Wolverine, Otter, Sable and all have a (distinktive) odor but their pelts are decadently luxurious; think Ermine (Varying Weasel). I have trapped and skinned some of these species and they fear nothing on this planet or elsewhere. Ya may not like their smell but ya should respect 'em.

The Badger is a member of the Weasel family including the Mink, Wolverine, Otter, Sable and all have a (distinktive) odor but their pelts are decadently luxurious; think Ermine (Varying Weasel). I have trapped and skinned some of these species and they fear nothing on this planet or elsewhere. Ya may not like their smell but ya should respect 'em.

I've seen a few Badgers while deer hunting in Michigan and agree they are mean and surly if molested. I respect them; but I have even more respect for Dachshunds that were bred to go down into their burrows and kill them or drag them out alive if necessary. Of all the jobs dogs have been bred to do over the centuries, that's got to be one of the worst. I just imagine the little Wiener-Dog thinking "Boy, it sucks to be me!" as they enter the burrow. I picked my username to honor these brave little dogs.

Seeker is right about the musky smell associated with the Weasel family.
If the smell is really bad I believe I'll wash the brush in a mild Borax solution and then I'll let it soak for a few hours in a lather with a strong fragrance like Mama Bear Bay Rum soap. The smell will get weaker and weaker for a few days until it's a distant memory. A small price to pay for a great brush. Remember, the little annoyance caused by the odor is small compared to the price the Badger paid. It's all about perspective.

Anybody ever hear of a shaving brush made of Wolverine? The Wolverine is really just a souped-up Badger. Making one might be a a fun retirement project. Talk about an exclusive brush! Hmmm...

Tom

Top Bottom