What's new

My Search For Smooth

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The knurling on the handle’s end and the concavity of the baseplate between the three posts offers enough security most of the time even when slick. And, sometimes, it still feels like it’s going to fly away.

And, sometimes, it still feels like it’s going to fly away.

But seriously, as Mike implied, this sucker should be tough enough to survive a slip. Also, the thing shaves so well I hardly care about a slightly slippy handle. At this stage, I even kinda like it that way. I got it bad!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

But seriously, as Mike implied, this sucker should be tough enough to survive a slip. Also, the thing shaves so well I hardly care about a slightly slippy handle. At this stage, I even kinda like it that way. I got it bad!

The weak points would be the threaded boss and the alignment pins. Either of those could most likely be repaired in a pinch, if need be.

My gold handle is actually pretty gripy when wet, but soap makes it very slippery. Thats why I really like the slant handle. That fluting will help the grip quite a bit I think.

Shave 67

DSCF2492.JPG

Fatip Gentile
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (2)
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green Preshave
Proraso Red

It took me a little longer to get the lather bang on tonight. In fact, I had to load more soap at the face lathering stage. Luckily, as I was using my beloved Green Preshave I could take as long as I wanted with no risk of irritating my skin. The sandalwood and eucalyptus were a nice combination.

First pass, WTG. I was more than happy to relegate the 7 O'Clock Green if it didn't match up to my other top blades but I didn't need to even consider it. I wondered if my lather was maybe a bit too thick as I tried to add cushion to compensate for the slight lack of slickness from Proraso. It was thick, but rinsed cleanly after shaving the entire right side of my face with the same side of the razor. There was enough protection on my chin to render a too steep, stabby stroke there nothing more than amusing. No tugging anywhere. I had a small, dry patch of raised skin below my right sideburn, no bigger than a millimetre in diameter. I'd forgotten all about it till I saw it bleeding, the Fatip having neatly sliced it off. I didn't feel a thing. The rest of the pass was unremarkable, the grip posing no problem whatsoever. I must be adapting! No irritation.

Pass 2, XTG. I love this brush but it hogs lather. It doesn't really matter. I still had just enough without going back to the tub and the pass went without a hitch. At one point, as I was ruminating on the possibility of Proraso being not quite a slick as it could be I made an accidental backward stroke on the front left edge of my jaw. It doubt it would have been possible if my skin wasn't slippery. I squeezed the last from the brush to shave my neck, touched up my lower lip and rinsed off.

A look in the mirror after a cold water splash and no redness, irritation or dryness. The small cut had closed and was barely visible. Another wonderful post shave, my skin feeling like it's just been dipped in a bucket of ice water. Three fantastic shaves, one after another.

Shave 68

DSCF2496.JPG

Fatip Gentile
Ladas (2)
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green Preshave
Cella

I loaded for a lot longer tonight, maybe a mintue or more. The lather went onto my face pasty, I dipped the brush once, twice, then BAM...

pie-in-face_240.jpg

...a thick, slick, cushiony lather. Possibly too thick?

First pass, WTG. I followed the grain as closely as possible everywhere, I had closeness on my mind. No clogging, the lather was nigh on perfect, the Ladas blade.....less so. A little scratchy, especially noticeable on the left side of my face. It's a good blade but I'm getting into the nitty gritty now. I already have a top 5 beginning to emerge and any blade has to be very, very good to even be considered from here on in. Still a nice pass though, the table tennis bat style pen grip for my right jawline, chin to ear, now feeling completely natural. A little bit less than smooth under my lower lip, not tuggy but nearly. I rinsed off with no irritation.

Pass 2, XTG. The lather in the brush was of a stiffer consistency than I'm used to. I made do with the water on my face, pulled the knot and got to it. From the first stroke the slight scratchiness remained, I shaved XTG under my lower lip as well (now, post shave, if I stroke my skin there with a finger I can't tell the difference) which added to the slight discomfort and kind of threw me off my stride momentarily. Over to the left side, upper lip, then onto my neck and a glance in the mirror. The small blemish underneath my right sideburn was bleeding again and there was a weeper by the left corner of my mouth. As I was finishing the shave and enjoying the residual slickness while I buffed the top of my neck I made a few longer exploratory strokes towards my chin, directly ATG. It was glassy smooth and just as I was thinking that this ATG shaving was going to be a piece of cake a painful stroke told me, loud and clear - put down the razor! As I rinsed off I detected a bit of slight burn underneath my chin.

It didn't last beyond the final cold water rinse. Post shave, my skin didn't feel quite as amazing as it did for the last 3 outings, a little bit tight but no redness or irritation, the 2 small cuts closed. DFS apart from a small area on my chin, left side and to the left of my adams apple.

Shave 69

DSCF2507.JPG

Fatip Gentile
Super-max Super Stainless (3)
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green Preshave
Rasozero

2 passes, face lather

What used to be a soap I didn't really like much, in scent or performance, is rapidly becoming a pleasure to use. A straight up face lather tonight and I would've been done without any dips but I dipped once anyway, just to ensure adequate hydration.

First pass, WTG. Not super smooth but nice. Very nice. The super-max is hanging on to a top tier position for now. Although I aimed for a shallow angle it was really one of those thinking without thinking shaves. The zen like state, when I can get it, normally gives me my best shaves. Everything happened without any real effort, no tugging, no distracting minor irritation, just me and the razor, doing its thing.

Pass 2, XTG. I lathered up and it was thin but not unshaveable. In short, it'd do. But then I thought, why settle? Back to the tub and in under 10 seconds I had a brush full of lather that felt great going on. If anything it was thicker than the first pass. I expect I've just removed a miniscule layer of skin along with the stubble so I guess it makes sense to have more protection for each consecutive pass, not less. Under normal circumstances this amount of messing around with soap between passes would be a recipe for irritation but not with my magical preshave.The first stroke was very good but not what I'm used to. Usually I can feel everything and have to be very, very careful. At first everything felt sort of masked but before long I was shaving with abandon, buoyed by a sense of security. Nothing was difficult. Not one stroke. Not even the very awkward right corner jaw, two inches below the ear, or the north meets south wave at the top of my neck. I rinsed off and patted dry.

No blood (the little blemish must be healing), no irritation, no redness, no dryness or tightness. Another great post shave, cooling and moisturising. DFS and the left side of my neck has never been closer, genuine DFS and on the way to BBS from the outside edge to the adams apple. Marvellous.

Much face stroking a few hours after yesterdays shave told me it was my closest yet. And, it was comfortable from start to finish. The Super-Max is absolutely being considered as a top tier blade.

I've also been speculating on my angle of attack throughout the shave. I was largely on auto-pilot and whilst I think I was slightly shallow it's highly likely that the shave was at its very best when I was using the design angle (neutral). Just an observation and not something I'll be thinking about too much. The 'just let it happen' approach is working too well to interfere with at the moment.

thombrogan

My gold handle is actually pretty gripy when wet, but soap makes it very slippery. Thats why I really like the slant handle. That fluting will help the grip quite a bit I think.

Just noticed the handle of the SchÖne is fluted. It’s nickel-plated for extra awesomeness.

The handle on my Gentile is really not bothering anymore. I'm finding it such an easy razor to shave with that I can hold it any way I like. A few times I've ended up with my thumb, index and forefinger right under the head with the end of the handle sitting in my palm. I haven't been caught out. Yet.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The handle on my Gentile is really not bothering anymore. I'm finding it such an easy razor to shave with that I can hold it any way I like. A few times I've ended up with my thumb, index and forefinger right under the head with the end of the handle sitting in my palm. I haven't been caught out. Yet.

I balance the end of the handle on the side of my little finger. It sits in the hollow of the handle perfectly.

I balance the end of the handle on the side of my little finger. It sits in the hollow of the handle perfectly.

I'll give that a try. It should be better that using my 2 index fingers, lol. (I just noticed the anatomical error in my last post.)

Shave 70

DSCF2534.JPG

Fatip Gentile
Gillette Platinum (2)
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green Preshave
Proraso White

2 passes, face lather

I'm not sure what it is about Proraso White but the lather for tonights shave was perfection.

First pass, WTG. The smoothness of the Gillette Platinum was apparent from the first stroke at my right ear. After shaving the entire right side of my face on one side of the blade I rinsed and went straight to the problem area lower lip. A quick stroke, stroke, stroke in a chopping motion, left to right. If I get tugging at all, it's usually here. Not tonight Josephine. The left side and moustache were done without incident, onto my neck (no re-lather) and done. I rinsed off. No irritation but a slight sting, left and right cheek. Hmmm.

Pass 2, XTG. What is it about Proraso White? No need to go back to the tub and the lather was both thick and cushiony and very slick. Confident in the protection, first stroke, from my right ear all the way to the right corner of my mouth, another one lower, then I steepened the angle for the right ear to left hip strokes on my right jawline, tipping my head back as far as possible. My neck mobility is still not completely back to normal after a shoulder injury from last year but has improved enough for me to start moderately working out again. A repeat for the left side, my neck working better in that direction. Moustache and then lower lip, a slightly sore stroke telling me to calm down. I'm chasing closeness. :nono: I shaved my neck with ease, the north meets south wave included, and rinsed. More slight stinging left and right side.

After a cold water splash, with no stinging, I had a check. No irritation (yet), redness or blood. My skin wasn't dry or tight in the slightest, just that great post shave from the preshave that I can't quite put into words. Think skin being continually hydrated by a cooling gel/water kinda feeling. It's very nice. I pulled the remaining lather from the knot before emptying the sink. There would've easily been enough for another pass. What is it with Proraso White?

Now, posting this, and noticeable from about 10 minutes after shaving, is a slight warmth to my face and mild irritation. It's not bad, just a very slightly scraped feel. It's not the not shaved post shave of my past few shaves. :sad: I recall a similar thing after using an Astra SP. Very smooth during the shave, less than stellar comfort post shave. Shame.

thombrogan

That’s a puzzler because it seems like platinum’s the problem, but other platinum blades find their way into your tales without the irritation. Maybe it’s just how Gillette does things with platinum in St. Petersburg that attacks your skin?

That’s a puzzler because it seems like platinum’s the problem, but other platinum blades find their way into your tales without the irritation. Maybe it’s just how Gillette does things with platinum in St. Petersburg that attacks your skin?

I was mulling this over last night. It is puzzling. I checked the razor this morning and there was significantly more blade sticking out of the top cap on one side. That, combined with a bit too much pressure could be a cause.

A platinum coating is still potenitally an issue though, considering my sensitive skin. Having just re-read my last shave with the Rapira Platinum-lux, I complained of scratchiness and mild irritation. That has been the only platinum blade I've ranked as top tier so far, I think. The Gillette Wilkinson Sword, which I love, comes in many forms. Some, from India, are platinum. Mine says stainless on the blade. I'll have to be careful when I bulk buy. But blades are highly personal and it wouldn't surprise me to find a Platinum blade that I really like.

thombrogan

Some day you’ll find that platinum coated blade that’s your be-all/end-all. Other than it being a Feather Hi-Stainless, I wonder what it’ll be

After a little bit of research it appears that the GWS I'm using is (probably) platinum coated. It's a strong candidate for my number 1 blade.

Top Bottom