My Search For Smooth

Shave 59

DSCF2383.JPG

RR Lupo
Polsilver (2)
Semogue 1438
Wickham Classic 24

Cold water, 2 passes

Tonights shave was another direct, simple, non thinking affair.

The lather was maybe a shade dry but effective enough and quick to produce, no more than a couple or three minutes all together and comfortable throughout.

First pass, WTG. Unremarkable until I reached my lower lip where it became very tuggy and continued to be hard work over the rest of my chin. The upper lip was nice smooth but I had to relather my neck where it had started to dissipate. I'm finding this razor to be a slight challenge on my neck, mostly because of the lack of weight I think, so I have to create the pressure and momentum myself. Minimal irritation, upper lip and chin.

Pass 2, XTG. I had to go back to the bowl for more soap, no biggie. There was only a little left so I wanted to use all of it this shave anyway. I should do this more often. The lather was slippery and cushiony. The first long stroke however, right ear to jaw was a bit bitey. I might've got the angle slightly off, it might've been the blade. It happened a couple more time this pass. But I was able to shave my neck much more comfortably this time round, adjusting the angle of the razor on the fly for the long, undulating S-N strokes at the far left and right, from half way up my neck, over the jaw and up towards my ears, the north meets south section above my adams apple a teencey bit grabby.

After a rinse off, the immediate post shave was very nice, once again. No redness, dryness or tightness and no blood loss. Then, just as I was drying off my brush a bit of mild tingling crept up, lasting for 2 or 3 minutes. Almost DFS everywhere and very even.

Shave 60

DSCF2386.JPG

RR Lupo
Dorco Titan
Semogue 1438
Proraso Red

2 passes

It was a bit chilly this evening so I went for a warm water shave for a change. I loaded heavy, then some more, then a bit more. I still had to re-load between passes but no matter. Shaving with Proraso Red was to welcome back an old friend. I'd forgotten how strong the smell is, almost a stink, but I still like it. For now.

First pass, WTG and the first stroke was very smooth. Had the warm water softened my whiskers more? No tugging under my lower lip but a little at the lower left corner of my jaw. I noticed a bit of blood to the right of my mouth. I hadn't felt anything. The rest of the pass went as normal; left side easier, smooth over the upper lip, relathered the neck etc, but all in slightly more comfort overall. Very minimal irritation.

Pass 2, XTG, was done in a flash. The lather was that perfect combination of cushion and slickness, my fingers slipping as I stretched the skin just above the hollow of my throat. A bit of buffing for the direct ATG strokes at the top of my neck, in total comfort and control. Minimal irritation again but I was starting to miss the sensation of a cold water shave by this pass and the cold water splash to finish felt better than usual.

Apart from the weeper which had already closed, no blood or visible redness and just a bit of minimal dryness. My skin felt very good though, no post shave irritation at any point and no tightness. My first very nice shave with this razor.

Trying each type is the only way to understand the differences. My 24mm Yaqi Silvertip "Mysterious Space" brush was ~$42CAD shipped. Not that expensive and nice enough to make me seriously question the need for a brush costing more.
I have a Yaqi Mew brown brush and a WCS synthetic incoming, and after using the really scratchy boar brush of mine for a month, I am really looking forward to these.

Shave 60

View attachment 1077443

RR Lupo
Dorco Titan
Semogue 1438
Proraso Red

2 passes

It was a bit chilly this evening so I went for a warm water shave for a change. I loaded heavy, then some more, then a bit more. I still had to re-load between passes but no matter. Shaving with Proraso Red was to welcome back an old friend. I'd forgotten how strong the smell is, almost a stink, but I still like it. For now.

First pass, WTG and the first stroke was very smooth. Had the warm water softened my whiskers more? No tugging under my lower lip but a little at the lower left corner of my jaw. I noticed a bit of blood to the right of my mouth. I hadn't felt anything. The rest of the pass went as normal; left side easier, smooth over the upper lip, relathered the neck etc, but all in slightly more comfort overall. Very minimal irritation.

Pass 2, XTG, was done in a flash. The lather was that perfect combination of cushion and slickness, my fingers slipping as I stretched the skin just above the hollow of my throat. A bit of buffing for the direct ATG strokes at the top of my neck, in total comfort and control. Minimal irritation again but I was starting to miss the sensation of a cold water shave by this pass and the cold water splash to finish felt better than usual.

Apart from the weeper which had already closed, no blood or visible redness and just a bit of minimal dryness. My skin felt very good though, no post shave irritation at any point and no tightness. My first very nice shave with this razor.
I read some of the earlier posts and like Al, I too have trouble with menthol stuff. I don't know why I could eat menthol sweet alright, but the Proraso green just burn my skin for no reason. And as much as I like to give the Proraso red a try, I am reluctant to test it until much later on.

I have a Yaqi Mew brown brush and a WCS synthetic incoming, and after using the really scratchy boar brush of mine for a month, I am really looking forward to these.

Enjoy! :biggrin1:

I read some of the earlier posts and like Al, I too have trouble with menthol stuff. I don't know why I could eat menthol sweet alright, but the Proraso green just burn my skin for no reason. And as much as I like to give the Proraso red a try, I am reluctant to test it until much later on.

For some reason menthol is one thing that doesn't seem to bother my skin. I haven't tried any of the mega cold ones yet, though. Proraso Red has no menthol but the sandalwood scent is very strong.

Shave 61

fatip meme.png

Fatip Gentile
Dorco Titan (3)
Semogue 1438
Proraso White

2 passes

After assembling the razor I checked the blade alignment and it looked as though there was a little more daylight visible between the blade edge and the guard on one side than the other. A bit of fiddling didn't seem to make much difference and in the end I put it down to the uniqueness of this particluar Fatip and forgot about it.

I used warm water again tonight, having really enjoyed last shave and lathered up without any difficulty.

I was a little nervous. Partly because I knew I was dealing with more blade exposure, partly because I've convinced myself that I prefer rigid razors. What if I didn't like this one?

First pass, WTG. I did like this one. And from the very first stroke. I began at my right ear, aiming for a shallow angle but by the time I'd passed my earlobe it didn't seem to matter anymore. It was as smooth as I'd hoped for and easy with it. No tugging at all under my lower lip or around the front of my jaw, the front edge simply done. Over to the left side for a repeat of the right, then the upper lip. Comfortable throughout. The neck was slightly more awkward initially as I adjusted to the change of grip for the S-N strokes but I got the hang of it in a jiffy. Very nice.

Pass 2, XTG. The lather was thinnish but I might as well put the smoothnes of the Fatip to the test. It was all very straight forward. Not one uncomfortable stroke for the enitre pass, even on my sensitive lower lip where I steepened the angle and used a bit more pressure. The handle felt a bit slippery as I finished my neck but I'm sure I'll become accustomed to that over the next few shaves. The direct ATG area at the top of my neck was done with complete confidence. This razor is very sure of itself.

A rinse off and a check in the mirror showed no redness and no nicks, a little bit of dryness beneath my cheekbones but no irritation. DFS or close to it, the area below my nostrils as good as with the Lupo, better around my adams apple, with no stray hairs. The Dorco Titan has performed in each razor and has moved into the first rank. As for the razor...

...there's a new boss in town.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Shave 61

View attachment 1078141

Fatip Gentile
Dorco Titan (3)
Semogue 1438
Proraso White

2 passes

After assembling the razor I checked the blade alignment and it looked as though there was a little more daylight visible between the blade edge and the guard on one side than the other. A bit of fiddling didn't seem to make much difference and in the end I put it down to the uniqueness of this particluar Fatip and forgot about it.

I used warm water again tonight, having really enjoyed last shave and lathered up without any difficulty.

I was a little nervous. Partly because I knew I was dealing with more blade exposure, partly because I've convinced myself that I prefer rigid razors. What if I didn't like this one?

First pass, WTG. I did like this one. And from the very first stroke. I began at my right ear, aiming for a shallow angle but by the time I'd passed my earlobe it didn't seem to matter anymore. It was as smooth as I'd hoped for and easy with it. No tugging at all under my lower lip or around the front of my jaw, the front edge simply done. Over to the left side for a repeat of the right, then the upper lip. Comfortable throughout. The neck was slightly more awkward initially as I adjusted to the change of grip for the S-N strokes but I got the hang of it in a jiffy. Very nice.

Pass 2, XTG. The lather was thinnish but I might as well put the smoothnes of the Fatip to the test. It was all very straight forward. Not one uncomfortable stroke for the enitre pass, even on my sensitive lower lip where I steepened the angle and used a bit more pressure. The handle felt a bit slippery as I finished my neck but I'm sure I'll become accustomed to that over the next few shaves. The direct ATG area at the top of my neck was done with complete confidence. This razor is very sure of itself.

A rinse off and a check in the mirror showed no redness and no nicks, a little bit of dryness beneath my cheekbones but no irritation. DFS or close to it, the area below my nostrils as good as with the Lupo, better around my adams apple, with no stray hairs. The Dorco Titan has performed in each razor and has moved into the first rank. As for the razor...

...there's a new boss in town.
:crying: Beautiful man! :thumbup1:

I had another little fiddle with the blade alignment earlier. Looked at in profile (the blade sandwich view) the top cap was sitting more over to one side of the base plate than the other, by quite a bit. A quick loosen and a nudge fixed it. The funny thing is, being slightly out of line didn't have any negative effect on the shave at all, at least none that I could notice. I guess that's what you get with good razor design.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The funny thing is, being slightly out of line didn't have any negative effect on the shave at all, at least none that I could notice. I guess that's what you get with good razor design.

It really doesnt affect the shave that much. I've shaved with mine misaligned and I can feel more blade on one side than the other but it has little effect outside of that.

It really doesnt affect the shave that much. I've shaved with mine misaligned and I can feel more blade on one side than the other but it has little effect outside of that.

I'm happy that mine's the way it is. It gives it character.

Shave 62

DSCF2446.JPG

Fatip Gentile
Polsilver (3)
Semogue 1438
Cella

2 passes

A straight up face lather tonight and I probably spent a bit too long at it. After painting it on I dipped the tips and got the lather going but it took a few minutes and towards the end I started to get some irritation.

Pass 1, WTG. The 2 previous shaves with the Polsilver had me thinking it was a so-so blade but not in the Fatip. From the off it was very, very smooth, the long, deliberate strokes completely comfortable. No tugging under my lower lip or anywhere else for that matter. I found the razor much easier to grip as I shaved my neck S-N this time, the handle feeling really good in the hand. I rinsed off with quite a bit of irritation but it calmed down quickly.

Second pass, XTG and I reloaded from the tub and started the lather in my bowl, 20 or 30 seconds all togther, then finished on my face in another 20. No irritation, the lather slicker and a better consistency this time round too. It made for a very straight foward pass, quick and comfortable with a bit of irritation creeping up as I relathered my neck before finishing. As I was shaving my neck, I got to thinking about there perhaps being an affinity between Fatips and Polsilvers but then Connaught gives away Gillette Silver Blues with Fatips so maybe that's the match although some say the Polislver and GSB's are almost the same blade....I was woken from my reverie as I nearly came a cropper with a careless stroke to the right of my adams apple. I payed attention until I was done, then rinsed.

The cold water splash felt good, my skin quite warm and tight post shave with a bit of redness. No dryness and no blood, DFS to CCS and my face has calmed nicely as I'm finishing this post. One thing I'm sure of; if a completely comfortable shave means unscented or very mildly scented soaps I'm happy with that. Cella has one of my favourite scents but I could easily live without it. I'll avoid the direct face lather next time I use it and see what occurs.

And the Fatip Gentile. Is it too early to make it official?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
And the Fatip Gentile. Is it too early to make it official?

Almost perfect timing, actually. Fanboi regulators suggest you also sample an open comb variant as well such as a Grande, Piccolo, or SchÖne, but don’t require it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Fatip and Polsilver were made for each other. The blade which tugged horribly in my other razors, cancelled out the face chomping tendencies of the Fatip Grande perfectly :p Not quite as good as any of my favourite blades in my Jagger DE3D14 or Merkur 985, but a well matched pair all the same. I just couldn't use any other blade in that razor, or that blade in any of my other razors :lol1:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The 2 previous shaves with the Polsilver had me thinking it was a so-so blade but not in the Fatip.

My Grande has elevated the performance of every blade I've put in it with the exception of Blue Diamond Titanium. In my NEW SC that blade is equal to Polsilver. It just needs that little bit of mechanical advantage from the gap to make it work at par.

although some say the Polislver and GSB's are almost the same blade

blasphemy.jpg

Top Bottom