What's new

My Rubberset 400 Restorations

Here are my 400 and 400-3 after undergoing progressive sanding from 320 to 3000 grit followed by Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and then Meguiar's Wax. They do not appear to be a high gloss as others seen here but they are nice.

I filled in the #3 with Testor's Gloss Black which was difficult since the number is unevenly punched into the aluminum and not very deep at that.

The gaskets are a #81: 1-1/8"OD x 1"ID x 1/16". They fit nicely and do not stick out too far and allow sufficient threading of the two pieces. I may try one that's 1/8" thick just for comparison.

Thinking of knotting with a TGN 2 Band Finest and above. Just haven't decided one which two.
Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Mike

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Thanks guys. I purchased the gaskets at my local Ace Hardware store they're individually packaged and $.59 each.

Mike

Unless you find one on the wild, there's no such thing. Just sayin'

All that's left is a #4.

Mike

Found a #4. Sanded to a medium luster. I haven't decided if I'm going high gloss yet. May need to hit it again with some lower grit paper to get some of the imperfections out of the handle. Then I'll decide. The original knot is still there. It's in good shape. I kinda like it. It's a little long but effective. In retrospect, I should have left the knot on the #3, it was a little shorter and easier to control. Anyway, here are photos:

Mike

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 120
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
One of the very few I've seen posted with a medium luster and I really like it. I'll try that with mine when it arrives.:a36:

Thanks, I like the medium luster so I'm leaving it that way. Even the other two are not a high gloss as posted by other members but they have more luster then this one.

Mike

They look great! I left the scars on my 4, partly to add character, partly due to a lack of confidence in my ability to not ruin the handle.

Top Bottom