What's new

My new Alpha T-400 Brush! (A Rubberset 400 tribute)

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I received my Alpha T-400 brush today and took it for a spin. I really like it. It is a tribute made from the Rubberset 400 brush design and it is very faithful to the original. I have bought a some Rubberset 400s and shined a few of them up and that is a fun project. I also have replaced the knots out of a couple of RR 400s, and have purchased a PAA Switchback 400. Here is a pic of the Alpha handle and ferrules:
IMG_1717.JPG

(24 Badger, 26 badger just-bloomed, boar, and horse, both test lathered)

Other than the originals, I think the T-400 is the best. It has just hit the market, and is available with extra ferrules and choice of knots. I bought a handle and 4 ferrules and knots - a 24 badger, 26 badger, a boar, and a horse. I have not used a horse knot up to this point and was surprised at its softness.

The knots are very nice, and it is nice to be able to switch them out. The badgers are very soft, without a ton backbone- kind of like most of the badger brushes I have used (TGN, Maggards, Sheng). Obviously they are not as dense as my Simpson Chubby, but then again, what else is? The badger had no stink at all, and only shed 1 hair in the first lathering. The boar will take some time to break in and is stiff and scratchy, like boars are at first. The horse is very soft. The boar and horse both had a little animal odor, but very little. I bet it will be gone in two or three more uses.

My collection:
fullsizeoutput_3d5.jpeg

(Left to Right: Black RR badger, T-400 ferrule w/24 badger, NOS Rubberset 400 with tag, PAA ferrule w/TGN badger, Silver RR400 w/Maggards mixed badger, Rubberset w/original boar, PAA switchback w/Maggards mixed badger, T-400 ferrule in boar, Rubberset 400 w/TGN badger, T-400 ferrule in horse, Rubberset 400 w/TGN boar, and the T-400 with 26 badger in front.)

The CNC machining, polishing, and anodizing is well done. The handle and ferrule screw together really smoothly, taking a few complete turns. The ferrules are not interchangeable with a Rubberset 400 or the PAA. There is plenty of thread to add a gasket, which was supplied. (Original Rubbersets do not have many threads on the handle and it can be hard to add a gasket.) The handle is solid rather than hollow like the original, and this adds weight and heft. An original Rubberset is noticeably lighter. I think the added weight in the handle might make it less tippy when the brush is loaded.

I think the price is very reasonable and the additional ferrules were a bargain. The brush maker was prompt in emails and easy to work with. It came in a nice box, well packaged, and shipped quickly from Hong Kong. I'm very satisfied!

Excellent review!!! I was part of his prototype group and feel like this is even better than the original Rubberset 400 in both weight and finish. Congratulations on he new pickup, mine is on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Thanks Luecke2326, your photo of the prototype is what fueled my interest in the T-400! You might be right about the weight and finish. It is not possible to beat the feel of a vintage 400 for nostalgia and vintage vibe, but the T-400 is a very solid and well made pice of aluminum.

Thanks Luecke2326, your photo of the prototype is what fueled my interest in the T-400! You might be right about the weight and finish. It is not possible to beat the feel of a vintage 400 for nostalgia and vintage vibe, but the T-400 is a very solid and well made pice of aluminum.

I agree with you about the vintage vibe of an original 400! There is still something really cool about owning one or two of them.
I’m happy to help enable your brush acquisition disorder, just wait the maker of this brush has some awesome new razors which will come to the market shortly!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hi gents! Mine is on the way and hopefully waiting for me when i return .There may be a packaging error but i hope not
@Luecke2326 also inspired me on this too
Thanks!

Hi gents! Mine is on the way and hopefully waiting for me when i return .There may be a packaging error but i hope not
@Luecke2326 also inspired me on this too
Thanks!

I may need to join enablers anonymous.... how many lives have I corrupted lol. Congratulations! You’ll love it!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I may need to join enablers anonymous.... how many lives have I corrupted lol. Congratulations! You’ll love it!

Yes! For sure
I m undertaking to set the knot myself so i wont be able to use it right away
I received my Alpha T-400 brush today and took it for a spin. I really like it. It is a tribute made from the Rubberset 400 brush design and it is very faithful to the original. I have bought a some Rubberset 400s and shined a few of them up and that is a fun project. I also have replaced the knots out of a couple of RR 400s, and have purchased a PAA Switchback 400. Here is a pic of the Alpha handle and ferrules:
View attachment 906709
(24 Badger, 26 badger just-bloomed, boar, and horse, both test lathered)

Other than the originals, I think the T-400 is the best. It has just hit the market, and is available with extra ferrules and choice of knots. I bought a handle and 4 ferrules and knots - a 24 badger, 26 badger, a boar, and a horse. I have not used a horse knot up to this point and was surprised at its softness.

The knots are very nice, and it is nice to be able to switch them out. The badgers are very soft, without a ton backbone- kind of like most of the badger brushes I have used (TGN, Maggards, Sheng). Obviously they are not as dense as my Simpson Chubby, but then again, what else is? The badger had no stink at all, and only shed 1 hair in the first lathering. The boar will take some time to break in and is stiff and scratchy, like boars are at first. The horse is very soft. The boar and horse both had a little animal odor, but very little. I bet it will be gone in two or three more uses.

My collection:
View attachment 906710
(Left to Right: Black RR badger, T-400 ferrule w/24 badger, NOS Rubberset 400 with tag, PAA ferrule w/TGN badger, Silver RR400 w/Maggards mixed badger, Rubberset w/original boar, PAA switchback w/Maggards mixed badger, T-400 ferrule in boar, Rubberset 400 w/TGN badger, T-400 ferrule in horse, Rubberset 400 w/TGN boar, and the T-400 with 26 badger in front.)

The CNC machining, polishing, and anodizing is well done. The handle and ferrule screw together really smoothly, taking a few complete turns. The ferrules are not interchangeable with a Rubberset 400 or the PAA. There is plenty of thread to add a gasket, which was supplied. (Original Rubbersets do not have many threads on the handle and it can be hard to add a gasket.) The handle is solid rather than hollow like the original, and this adds weight and heft. An original Rubberset is noticeably lighter. I think the added weight in the handle might make it less tippy when the brush is loaded.

I think the price is very reasonable and the additional ferrules were a bargain. The brush maker was prompt in emails and easy to work with. It came in a nice box, well packaged, and shipped quickly from Hong Kong. I'm very satisfied!

Question. Does the t400 ferruel fit the paa handle?
Nice collection btw. Very nice!

That Alpha is a beauty, EB! The last thing I need is another brush--do you know if he's willing to sell the handle (with two ferrules) without a knot? I'd gladly stick this in a drawer until I decide I need another knot someday...

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
No, Rhody, the T-400 does not fit the PAA. pbrmhl, I don't know if he sells them w/o a knot, but the seller is a member here and is easy to deal with.
I'm still really enjoying mine!

No, Rhody, the T-400 does not fit the PAA. pbrmhl, I don't know if he sells them w/o a knot, but the seller is a member here and is easy to deal with.
I'm still really enjoying mine!

EB, I’ve been in touch with Steve, and bought the handle and two ferrules without a knot. He’s very responsive and helpful. It’s your fault I’m now the proud owner of a brush handle I don’t really need...

P.S. Are you still enjoying the King of Oud balm?

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Scott,
Hey- that's right! I had forgotten it was you who PIFed that to me and started me on my KOO obsession. Love it, in fact it is my top scent of any that I own. Nice to know I got even with you by tempting you to get a T-400! I am sure you will like it!

That Alpha is a beauty, EB! The last thing I need is another brush--do you know if he's willing to sell the handle (with two ferrules) without a knot? I'd gladly stick this in a drawer until I decide I need another knot someday...

Yes, he will sell it knotless.
Matt

Top Bottom