What's new

Honing razors on 200-400 grit stones

I realize that the thread title seems like clickbait. Who would ever hone a razor on a 200-400 grit stone?

My answer: someone who had spent 3000 passes on a Shapton Glass 500 in order to get a ding out of a kamisori.

It's not just that kamisori. I've been buying messed-up Japanese razors on eBay, and trying to reshape them according to my standard, which is: the bevel is entirely flat. If you put the razor on a flattened fine stone, the scratches go all the way to the edge along the entire bevel. This can be a surprisingly hard thing to achieve.

I do know about the tricks, the pressing and the X-strokes and the windshield wiper and the tape and all that. I don't want to use them. I want perfectly flat bevels, and I am willing to pay the price for them.

That price is high, especially for the steels used in Japanese razors. So naturally I started to wonder about coarse stones, and that has opened up a whole new world for me. I'd like to report what I've discovered, and invite the advice of anyone who has swum in these waters.

Discovery 1: Slurry is the enemy

Slurry is a wonderful thing when honing on a fine stone. It speeds things up, and seems to aid in polishing. Yes, you can get some more refinement by doing some final passes with just water, and you should. But there's no harm in riding the slurry train as far as it will take you.

On a coarse stone, that is completely untrue. Kick up any slurry at all, and you are inviting edge dings. Tons of edge dings. It's just awful. You can feel the horrible rocks rolling around under your delicate edge, and the microscope will show just what a mistake you made in persisting at all, once you feel that.

So now I hone on coarse stones under a stream of running water. Exception: vitrified diamond stones. I'm not sure they even know what slurry is.

Discovery 2: Pressure is the enemy

Pressure makes slurry. It also invites unevenness. On coarse diamond stones, it makes scratches so deep that you're not really saving any time, because you're going to do even more work, later, to get rid of those scratches. Every one you don't deal with becomes a ding in the edge at the end of the process.

Discovery 3: Add those two together, and coarse stones aren't that fast.

A 300 grit resin-bonded diamond stone turns out to be a pussycat under light-moderate pressure and running water.

The Shapton Glass 220 turns into a barber hone. Really. The normal word on this stone is that if you don't use it with a lot of pressure, it glazes really fast. True. The interesting thing is that once it glazes, it puts quite fine scratches on the edge. Maybe 800-1000 grit? It's the same principal as a barber hone, and I think it comes from the combination of coarseness and a hard binder. It's a useful quality, because you can judge whether the bevel is truly flat without going up to finer stones, discovering a lack of flatness that was not apparent at the coarser grit, then falling back.

Another observation: running your finger over a stone, and judging its smoothness, is not proportional to grit if you are comparing two different lines of stones. The ones that feel smoother are more likely to make good coarse razor hones. Shapton Glass is tops in this area, above the 220, which is why I have ordered a 320 to complement my 500.

This is all still a work in progress, but it seemed like enough to relate, and to solicit your thoughts.

I haven't tried any kamisoris or Japenese razors more generally, so I can't comment there. What is the grind like? Closer to wedge than a full hollow grind? I would think that something closer to a wedge would do better on a coarser stone than a full hollow grind. I have honed noticeable chips out of a number of Western razors, and a fine DMT with the perforated surface has been my friend there. In my case, I only use up-and-down strokes, as I have found that X-strokes can lead to micro-chipping with it at this stage. I wonder how low one can go, say, with full-hollow or extra full-hollow razors. The fine DMT works well for me. A long time ago I had a telephone call with a seller of Japanese hones and knives, and he told me not to dip lower than a Beston 500 with razors, and I've pretty much followed this advice since. On the other hand, just before that conversation, I had a nice PM exchange with a member on this forum who swore by starting out on a brick-style 150x Naniwa stones. It was that exchange that prompted me to call the seller of Japanese hones and knives, as he had one of the said 150x Naniwa stones for sale. I ended up picking up the Beston 500 and it has also served me well.

I haven't tried any kamisoris or Japenese razors more generally, so I can't comment there. What is the grind like? Closer to wedge than a full hollow grind? I would think that something closer to a wedge would do better on a coarser stone than a full hollow grind. I have honed noticeable chips out of a number of Western razors, and a fine DMT with the perforated surface has been my friend there. In my case, I only use up-and-down strokes, as I have found that X-strokes can lead to micro-chipping with it at this stage. I wonder how low one can go, say, with full-hollow or extra full-hollow razors. The fine DMT works well for me. A long time ago I had a telephone call with a seller of Japanese hones and knives, and he told me not to dip lower than a Beston 500 with razors, and I've pretty much followed this advice since. On the other hand, many years ago I had a nice PM exchange with a member on this forum who swore by starting out on a brick-style 150x Naniwa stones. It was that exchange that prompted me to call the seller of Japanese hones and knives, as he had one of the said 150x Naniwa stones for sale. I ended up picking up the Beston 500 and it also has served me well.

Yeah, it's kind of an unexplored area, as far as I can tell. Fun to experiment with, though, if you have the stones and some cheap rehab razors.

Kamisoris are asymmetrical, and maybe a bit hard to characterize by Western hollow standards for that reason. But they are solidly shaped enough that the edge isn't going to be bouncing around, like a full hollow. I too would fear to put a full hollow on a coarse stone. I do think that the harder steel of Japanese razors changes the game considerably, purely because the number of strokes to get anything done increases by a very very large amount. I've worked with Western razors, and they are a piece of cake by comparison.

Excuse me for taking things in another direction, as I know kamisoris have been discussed on other threads, but with the kamisoris being asymmetrical, are you obliged to keep the same side of the razor towards the face at all time when shaving? If so, I would imagine that honing could be a case of mostly seeking to sharpen on one side, then knocking off the burr on the backside.

Excuse me for taking things in another direction, as I know kamisoris have been discussed on other threads, but with the kamisoris being asymmetrical, are you obliged to keep the same side of the razor towards the face at all time when shaving? If so, I would imagine that honing could be a case of mostly seeking to sharpen on one side, then knocking off the burr on the backside.

No, I shave with kamisoris most days, and I use both sides. I may be making some adjustment for the difference in sides, but if so it is automatic and minute.

Normally kamisoris are honed with 10 strokes on the face side to for each ~2-3 strokes on the side with the logo, but I routinely violate that rule on my finest stones, and even on coarser stones if I have an issue to correct on the logo side.

Taking out a ding or chip is not honing, it is repair. Don't forget that as the razor was being made abrasives in the 60 grit range were likely used at quite close to the finished shape. So coarse grits are useful for material removal, you just move to finer grits while there is still some material to remove to get rid of any underlying damage caused by the coarse grits.

Taking out a ding or chip is not honing, it is repair. Don't forget that as the razor was being made abrasives in the 60 grit range were likely used at quite close to the finished shape. So coarse grits are useful for material removal, you just move to finer grits while there is still some material to remove to get rid of any underlying damage caused by the coarse grits.

That's fair, but based on what I see in the microscope, I'd wager that those 60 grit abrasives were used in the edge-trailing direction. The effect of edge-leading strokes on coarse abrasives is profound enough that it is challenging to correct at finer grits. I know I could do everything edge-trailing on coarse stones, and I've tried that approach. But it's really, really slow. I wanted another way, and I think I'm finding one.

DMT 600 works just about as fast as anything coarser when removing dings... Even 600 vs 1200 is arguable over which is faster.

Sure 60-100grit oilstones can cut a little faster with pressure, but as you noted, they chew up an edge enough you're going to have to do work to fix what they do... so unless you're really looking to remove just crazy depth on the blade, they're not very useful on razors.

Fast stock removal on razors? DMT 600-1200 and wash it off every minute or two.

I agree with the medium grit diamond plate. Especially if you keep one nice and fresh and only use it for razors, it will do the job pretty quickly and leave you with a nice straight edge. Use it edge trailing to avoid edge damage if you like and take care of the burr later on a 1k.

I am with Vic on making the switch to a finer hone a little earlier to leave some extra room for the deeper scratch removal too, that's good advice.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Agree with Victor, Ian, and Eric. Any significant chip removal to me means a diamond plate, not hones. There’s no point in wasting time with stones, not to mention wearing the stones and your patience.

I have frequently used slurry from the Naniwa brown biscuit and a piece of King 1k on both Shapton 320 Pro and 600 Chosera, no problems. Your other two points I pretty much agree with.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m curious though, I’ve re-ground one or two myself. When you regrind a kamisori, how are you maintaining the bevel angle to the original or a desired angle?

I've used a chef knives to go 140 grit lapping plate for heavy removal. But I always stopped before the edge and switched to something kinder and more gentle to creep up on the edge which also gave me an opportunity to clean up the metal. If you look at the scratches from a really low grit with a loop it looks like it went thru a wood chipper. I don't think it saves time going any more if you figure the time to remove deep scratches.

I’m curious though, I’ve re-ground one or two myself. When you regrind a kamisori, how are you maintaining the bevel angle to the original or a desired angle?

I haven't had to worry about that. Partly because kamisoris with a lot of history tend to have an oversized flat honing guide that works really well to guide the process. Partly because I'm flat on the stone the whole time and that seems to give me enough control. It just hasn't been an issue, yet. I can see how it could be, in theory, but it hasn't been. The closest I have come to intentionally trying to mess with the angle was on an obtuse new razor, and all I did there was bear down heavily on the honing guide for a while.

This works. I'm trying an Atoma 400, and it's taking metal off about twice as fast as the other stones I mentioned, and doing no worse violence to the edge than they did. And I don't even need to use running water. Nice. This plate is near-new, and I'm going to take eKretz's advice and reserve it for razors (along with a 600 I decided to order after I saw how well this was working).

I somehow had the idea that a diamond plate would do especially bad edge damage, but that does not seem to be true at all.

I use 120x, 220x, 320x, 500x Shaptons to remove chips regularly. Generally speaking, I dislike raising slurry on any synthetic but I will use it on an 800x or 1k to bump speed. No problems with edge damage there, and the next stone will remove those striations easily enough.

The thing is, coarse stones, like say - 400x and coarser, will leave an extremely scary ugly pattern on the bevel/apex. That's their job, that's normal. The idea is to work that to a point where you know the next stone will 'take over' and reduce what might seem to be damage ( it isn't) and covert it a 'less damaged' state - and so on. Yes, I am talking edge leading work here.

I remember the first time I scoped a 400x Chosera edge. I thought the blade was irreparable. Nah, it's just that big abrasive particles leave heavy trails. It's just part of the game. Work the rest of the progression responsibly and there's no issue.

Typically, I've found force-raised slurry on synth finishers is edge-defeating. On coarser stones, depending on brand, it is possible to create issues, depending also on how the slurry was raised. So theres that.
As mentioned, I use Shaptons for this often and the 'naturally occuring' swarf raised during honing has never been an issue. Same for Chosera. Someone using a Bearmoo or other similar type might not have the same experience though.
Pressure is needed to work on a coarse stone. Not excessive pressure though. But pressure is needed to cut. No pressure, no cutting. But we can't be digging into the stone either. Pressure is our friend when honing, but skill in using pressure is tantamount to all concerns.

Clad steel Kamisori don't usually enjoy being honed on synths under 5k...the soft iron strips too easily. Pressure has to be torqued to the edge but even with that technique nailed Omote assasination becomes a possibility. Personally, I wouldn't put a Kami on a low grit synth without trying to jockey the Jigane off the stone for the duration.

Clad steel Kamisori don't usually enjoy being honed on synths under 5k...the soft iron strips too easily. Pressure has to be torqued to the edge but even with that technique nailed Omote assasination becomes a possibility. Personally, I wouldn't put a Kami on a low grit synth without trying to jockey the Jigane off the stone for the duration.

This is a remarkably information-rich post. Bursting with questions though I may be, I will restrict myself to one: what makers of Kamisori are/were putting them in soft iron cladding?

the large majority of vintage/traditional Kamisori were forged in that fashion.
My personal experience covers a lot of ground but to name a few: Inoue Tosuke, Yamamasa, Henkotsu, Kenwa, Iwasaki, Azuma. I have a no name Kami in that style also, supposedly blue steel but I am not certain of that.

the large majority of vintage/traditional Kamisori were forged in that fashion.
My personal experience covers a lot of ground but to name a few: Inoue Tosuke, Yamamasa, Henkotsu, Kenwa, Iwasaki, Azuma. I have a no name Kami in that style also, supposedly blue steel but I am not certain of that.

Interesting. I have a pile of Iwasakis, but I had not suspected that, no matter how much time I spent on stones with them. How would you spot that on a razor?

Top Bottom