What's new

My renewed love for Fatip: random thoughts

Fatip has always been quite a controversial razor: some people love it some others hate it.
Too intriguing not to give it a try given the price point.
Well, I ended up with a Piccolo OC and SB and a Storto. Despite I loved the maneuverability, my shaves were kinda random, with a touch of blood with the gentile. How can I possibly get such sting from the alum block if it's supposed to be "gentile", i.e. gentle?
I picked up the challenge and tried different blades and soaps till the epiphany...while I normally ride the cap, I tried a shallow angle (handle close to the cheek for me) and boom: heaven.
The gentile was indeed super smooth and the rounded OC teeth made them discretely glide through the lather while literally obliterating the whiskers in a beautiful BBS.
Well, to cut the story short they have all moved towards to front of my rotation...surprised again by the amazing bang for the buck they deliver.
Once again, it's always about technique
Just wanted to share :)

PS: please have mercy with my first thread :p

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Excellent first thread!

Of course, that's not sayin' much, since everyone is still waiting on me to have even acceptable thread!

One of these days I'll get a Fatip. I miss my Fatboy, because I always got the giggles when I typed "Fatboy!"

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I picked up the challenge and tried different blades and soaps till the epiphany...while I normally ride the cap, I tried a shallow angle (handle close to the cheek for me) and boom: heaven.
Welcome to B&B. Excellent first thread! :)

Please join us on the Fatip Friday thread:

Quick clarification regarding definitions:
  • 'Shallow' angle = riding the cap, handle more perpendicular to your face.
  • 'Steep' angle = riding the guard or OC, handle more parallel to your face.
I use a steep angle and certainly enjoy my Fatip shaves:
20220204_091221~2.jpg
20211217_212554~2.jpg

FarmerTan

Excellent first thread!

Of course, that's not sayin' much, since everyone is still waiting on me to have even acceptable thread!

One of these days I'll get a Fatip. I miss my Fatboy, because I always got the giggles when I typed "Fatboy!"
How many of you guys would have a heart attack if I were to ever grow up?

FarmerTan

None of us. If it ain't happened by now, the odds are with us Dave :p
My son was on speaker phone with his mom tonight. Can you believe he laughed at me?!? His Dad? Kinda hurt my feelin's fer a quick second.

It's also funny to me that he's so serious. I never had that problem. I let people like he and my lovely bride get the ulcers! Life is too dang long to be serious minded.

My Grande came today a week early from Amazon. Finish is fine no defects. Blade aligns nicely so I guess I got lucky. But I see there no blade gap like the Yaqi DOC. So how can this razor even be moderately aggressive?? I'll shave day after tomorrow.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've got the Piccolo and the DOC the Piccolo is far more aggressive/efficient when shaving using a steep angle as said above. With the DOC loaded with a Nacet I need a 3 pass shave with some pick ups. With the Piccolo it's a 2 pass shave with very few pick ups. You'll be surprised at what a good shaver the Fatip is IMHO.

My Grande came today a week early from Amazon. Finish is fine no defects. Blade aligns nicely so I guess I got lucky. But I see there no blade gap like the Yaqi DOC. So how can this razor even be moderately aggressive?? I'll shave day after tomorrow.
The geometry is more like the Gillette Old Type, which also has minimal gap. It works great, though. Try a steeper blade angle, not quite to the point of scraping the skin, and a moderately sharp blade such as Astra SS, 7 O'clock Yellow, etc.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Fatips are hard to beat. My favorites are the FOCS and the Mk1 Grande.

$Shallow Angle.jpg

$Steep Angle.jpg

Fatips in my experience work best with a steep angle. Pictures are visual reminders (which help me remember).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom