What's new

My only child was getting lonely, so...

Not including my cobs (which I'm becoming more and more dissatisfied with the more I smoke my briar), I have one single, lonely pipe. It's a decent middle of the road Lorenzetti briar that smokes so much better than my cobs that I'm smoking it almost exclusively now. A single briar was fine when I was rotating it with a few cobs, but lately it's been taking some heavy usage as I've largely shelved the cobs and diligently work my way through a bunch of new blends. Two bowls a day, every day, one pipe... could lead to problems. Enter Mr. Jake Hackert to save the day. Instead of the five to ten months I expected to be waiting for the pipe I ordered from him, I had to sit patiently for only five weeks. He emailed these pics of the finished pipe earlier this week...

$j_adamcewicz_2.jpg$j_adamcewicz_3.jpg

When I first discovered Hackert pipes, I thought they were pretty fancy looking. But that was in my pipe smoking infancy (got a whole two months behind me now!) when I hadn't been exposed yet to what was available out there. Today, I still think they're great looking pipes, but I've come to recognize that these rusticated stubby pokers are more workin' man pipes than anything else. Blue collar rather than white collar. And I like that. I'm having Jake make me another, just the same, but smaller dimensions -- smaller bowl, smaller bit, smaller shank diameter (but not smaller shank length, there's no room to play with there). Anyway, I had to send a money order for it, so I might be waiting another five weeks before this little beast makes it way to me and can join his quickly tiring briar brother.

I am currently at 5 briar pipes; mostly attracted to longer length, full bent styles (still hunting a big ball, apple or egg) - but that beauty you have posted is giving me pause.

After my ball/apple/egg and churchwarden acquisitions - I am afraid that I will follow you down that dark road of AD

I can't see myself getting PAD. I"m a couple months into smoking pipes and I'm completely fascinated with the tobacco part of the equation. I know I want a churchwarden of some kind, another Hackert or two, a full bent of some sort, a Peterson Barrel and a Tankard, a couple Boswell pipes, a Moretti, a David Jones poker, two Mark Balkovec pokers, a couple Joe Case pokers, a FatBastard poker, a PSP poker, a Mastro De Paja poker, anything from Giacomo Mora, a Rock Cob by Rekamepip, a Riccardo Santia Ultimate Corn Cob, and a vintage Dunhill Shell Cherrywood. See, if I know what I want, then it's not an AD. Right?

I can't see myself getting PAD. I"m a couple months into smoking pipes and I'm completely fascinated with the tobacco part of the equation. I know I want a churchwarden of some kind, another Hackert or two, a full bent of some sort, a Peterson Barrel and a Tankard, a couple Boswell pipes, a Moretti, a David Jones poker, two Mark Balkovec pokers, a couple Joe Case pokers, a FatBastard poker, a PSP poker, a Mastro De Paja poker, anything from Giacomo Mora, a Rock Cob by Rekamepip, a Riccardo Santia Ultimate Corn Cob, and a vintage Dunhill Shell Cherrywood. See, if I know what I want, then it's not an AD. Right?

Nope, doesnt qualify as an AD because the list actually ends.

I am just a sucker for a visually interesting pipe, so the "want" never goes away

p.s - thanks for the shopping list :thumbup:

It's a awfully nice looking pipe, what there is of it. I've thought about getting a few small pipes for use at the office, but I don't know how I'd like something like that poker right up close to my face. I guess the only way to find out is to get one and try it.

Top Bottom