What's new

My oil stone experience

Lately i have done some honing on oilstones with oil.
Have had a cretan stone i just used water on so that doesn't count.

So what stones are involved?
Franz swaty.
Cretan hone (Lapped to 400 grit sandpaper) (You could change this to a Coticule BBW side and then the coti side) Did this with another razor to see the difference the end result was the same. Coti was on water though.
Translucent Arkansas rough side (lapped with atoma 140 and 400 grit sand paper glued on a glass plate)
Vermio (lapped up to 1200 grit sand paper glued on glass plate)
Translucent Arkansas (opposite side lapped to 1200 grit sandpaper, glued to glass plate)

A Franz Swaty hone a little synthetic that is the only one i used water on but that was used to correct a mistake i did. It all began with me byuing a cheap nice razor on ebay. It was a Drew and sons that is actually made by Wilkinsson. It had som dragonspit blotches that i wanted to buff out, during the buffing the blade cut in to the fabric and part of the edge chipped. That was on the toe of the edge and ca 5mm in length the edge was ruined.
So this was a perfect situation to try to just use a synthetic as a bevelsetter and the rest of the progression on oilstones. I know i have mentioned the Swaty coming in handy as a bevelsetter before, and i know it is said to be in the 6k grit area, but not mine. It is like a 800 to 1k bevel setter in a small and lovely package. In aprox 15 minutes most of the edge was corrected, the method was quick back and forths, alternating sides after aprox 25 strokes. I cleaned the edge up by finishing with aprox 20 x strokes. checked the edge with a handheld microscope until i was satisfied with the result.
Then came the Cretan hone, i used camelia oil, it is thin, it was nearby and it is in a bottle with spraypump and i was lazy to get the mineral oil i have used earlier. The camelia oil is fantastic to hone on. I used the same kind of strokes as on the swaty but the time was ca 5 minutes. The same with the Arkansas. The razor was sharp already after the rough side of the Arkansas, but i wanted to take it further and i wanted to test the vermio on oil. I must say my impression with the Vermio on oil is really god, have any of you tried it with oil? It increases the cuttingpower, i haven't seen it take of any metal before, but when i wiped the razor i had black residue. I always clean the razor after each stone to be able to check whats happening. The razor was taken to the point where the highly polished side of the translucent arkansas could take it to crazy sharp level. Same procedure with that stone, back and forths 20-25 strokes before changing side for ca 5 min and ending with x strokes. Stropped 25 strokes on leather and then shaved. That was the best shave i have ever had. No razor burn, no discomfort, a edge that wont cut into the skin.

Top Bottom