What's new

My new TLA

Among the many annoying things about initialisms, acronyms, and other industry jargon is the fact that they are often used in a way that is intended to make the audience feel ignorant, thereby making them an easier target for inappropriate sales, uninformed consent, and so on.

Since joining B&B I have had to resort to the abbreviations and acronyms page quite a few times. I wish it were a sticky or a separate link at the top of every page. Although I sometimes use it to telegraph information such as what I used today, I feel very self conscious doing it. Imagine a newbie reading that I used an ATT CM1, BK4, MdC, GSB, and 4711. If I really want to convey to that newbie the ingredients of my terrific shaves doesn't it work a lot better to spell it out? Yikes. Now I am in a tizzy. What a PITA!

Actually, there is a link on the bottom of every page to "How to Get Started Wet Shaving" and that has an easy-to-find link right to the abbreviations page.

Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Actually, there is a link on the bottom of every page to "How to Get Started Wet Shaving" and that has an easy-to-find link right to the abbreviations page.

Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?
Why is the acronym www at 9 syllables longer than what it stands for, world wide web at 3 syllables?

BB
Blushing Bride

LotH
Lady of the House

LotM
Lady of the Manor

MIBH
My Inifinitely Better Half

SWMBO
She Whom Must Be Obeyed

WD
War Department

Ok, I missed the WD one lol. I'm surprised that SO (Significant Other) hasn't shown up. In the communications trade in Canada, we used to call our wives Home 9er, because on radio networks call signs, 9er was the Commander.

Top Bottom