What's new

My new TLA

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My penchant for three letter acronyms has produced a new one I like: TSE (Typically Swell Experience).

I believe that if your technique is solid, you have found hard goods and soft goods you really like, and no one else has depleted the hot water, every shave ought to meet your expectations and be a TSE. My expectations are ample hot water for my preshave routine of splashing on hot water, easy loading soap and lovely face lathering with the brush holding ample lather for three passes, three irritation free passes with good efficiency, no tugging, no nicks, no weepers, and a BBS outcome, a quick hot shower, and an aftershave splash that both smells and feels refreshing.

I have found the hardware and software that get me there, and today was just another TSE. Don't worry. I won't try to foist use of the TSE on others, but if you can't honestly say you are getting TSEs you need to figure out why. Life is just better if every shave is what you hoped it would be!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Owen, you don’t normally pepper conversation with colloquialisms such as “swell,” “groovy,” “San-Frantastic,” “supersadomasochisticexpialodocious,” or “neat-o?”

Gee willickers!
I know I certainly do. It is nice to see the worn out checkers and baggers at the H-E-B perk up when I say "groovy" or "spiffy."

Also I find that certain jobs just thrive on acronyms, government, especially the military, and investment banking. Guilty on all counts.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I know I certainly do. It is nice to see the worn out checkers and baggers at the H-E-B perk up when I say "groovy" or "spiffy."

Also I find that certain jobs just thrive on acronyms, government, especially the military, and investment banking. Guilty on all counts.
You're a hep cat!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

The Miltary for sure.
I used to give an example to my Navy peers by saying "The DCA, who was the EOOW told the MPA that the DOC in the DFT put it OOC, the MPA told the CHENG and he told the OOD who passed it on to the CO.".
To my peers, that sentence made perfect sense, but is unintelligible to anyone outside Navy Steam Propulsion.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Being the pedantic git that I am, I hate it when people call abbreviations acronyms. :facep:

All initialisms are acronyms, but not all acronyms are initialisms.
CEO is an initialism because it is said letter by letter, it's also an acronym.
RADAR is an acronym but not an initialism because it's said as one word.
All acronyms are abbreviations, but not all abbreviations are acronyms.
Dr. and Prof. are abbreviations but not acronyms.

Last edited:
All initialisms are acronyms, but not all acronyms are initialisms.
Sorry, can't agree there.

1624652948310.png

All acronyms are abbreviations, but not all abbreviations are acronyms.
Indeed. :001_smile

"Our research shows that acronym is commonly used to refer to both types of abbreviations."

Common usage doesn't mean it's correct.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
"Our research shows that acronym is commonly used to refer to both types of abbreviations."

Common usage doesn't mean it's correct.

:lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My penchant for three letter acronyms has produced a new one I like: TSE (Typically Swell Experience).

I believe that if your technique is solid, you have found hard goods and soft goods you really like, and no one else has depleted the hot water, every shave ought to meet your expectations and be a TSE. My expectations are ample hot water for my preshave routine of splashing on hot water, easy loading soap and lovely face lathering with the brush holding ample lather for three passes, three irritation free passes with good efficiency, no tugging, no nicks, no weepers, and a BBS outcome, a quick hot shower, and an aftershave splash that both smells and feels refreshing.

I have found the hardware and software that get me there, and today was just another TSE. Don't worry. I won't try to foist use of the TSE on others, but if you can't honestly say you are getting TSEs you need to figure out why. Life is just better if every shave is what you hoped it would be!

When I first returned to wet shaving, I was at times so focused on the minutiae that I really didn't enjoy it at all.
I was so focused on what other folks were saying about the best soap, the best blade, the best brush, and the best way to break in, use, clean and store them that it became as unappealing as it was when I was using canned goop and a multi blade cart.
I finally just decided to simplify and do what felt right and comfortable and leave all the restrictions off the table.
I get great shaves and truly enjoy the process.
In other words - TSE

Top Bottom