What's new

My New Kirsten AD

I have recently begun smoking some of my lesser used pipes, and picked up a Falcon the other day and gave it a whirl. Not surprisingly, between the cheap nylon stem and the thin metal shank, it was less than fulfilling. I love the look of metal pipes for whatever reason, so I decided it was time to try a Kirsten. After searching for info and getting the impression that Kirsten was no longer selling pipes, I searched the bay and found a minty Mariner and a parts only Mariner. The minty Mariner is a joy to smoke; cool, dry, flavorful.

I decided that when the parts only pipe comes in that it will be getting a little refurb of it's own. Good polish, some new parts.. but WAIT, new parts! From where? I tried scouring the web looking for parts but they seem to be high and dry. Until I went to my local tobacconist this afternoon. After a lengthy discussion on how he's doing and what's new on his workbench, I began discussing Kirsten with him in hopes that he wouldn't laugh me out of the store. He seemed interested, very much so, but for no particular reason. I told him about my Mariner resto idea and the strangest thing popped out of his mouth. "I have some parts somewhere." Some parts? My next move answered everything. "Did you used to sell them?" To which he replied "Of course. They were somewhat popular for many years. I have a bunch of stuff, I will bring it in."

Not only do I think we can resto the Mariner, but my hope is that he has some complete pipes laying around his workshop somewhere. This could be a great thing after all is said and done. Here's to the local B&M tobacconist. Mine is quite possibly the best in the business.

Great story, I love my B&M, yeah some prices are better online but when it comes to the "weird" stuff, that is always were I go first!

Top Bottom