What's new

My New GreenCult 2.0

Can anyone compare the Greencult 2.0 to either the Blackbird or the Timeless .95?

I currently daily shave with the Timeless .95 SB but have been thinking I'd like something with more blade exposure since I tend to have to use a lot of buffing for a smooth shave with it. I moved to the .95 timeless from the .68 after 6 months or so and had a big reduction in irritation due to the reduced number of passes.

I had been looking at the Blackbird since I regularly see it compared as more efficient than the .95 Timeless, but then I came across this thread.

Since I shave daily, I'm shaving short stubble. My thinking is that I'm not gaining much of anything by going up in blade gap, but I am gaining a lot from going up in exposure. An increased blade gap just allows longer hair to stand up in front of the blade once it's past the safety bar (or that's my thinking anyway). I've read that the blackbird (unconfirmed from the company, user measurements) has a gap ~0.58 mm but an exposure ~0.1 mm. I'm not shaving long hair, so the blackbird seems like it would be a better fit for me based on my experience with the 2 timeless plates (the timeless .68 has neutral exposure while the .95 has 0.05 mm exposure). Again, I'm assuming my gain from the .95 vs .68 was from the exposure and not the gap.

These Greencult 2.0 plates seem to have a lot of variation that would be more suited to someone daily shaving short stubble (relatively small blade gap with relatively large exposure). The level 2 plate has geometry similar to what the blackbird supposedly has. I'm thinking of ordering the level 2 and level 3 plates.

Would love to hear more in the way of comparisons to the timeless and blackbird.

Not what you are asking about but, a Schick Injector or one of the AC-bladed SE razors is probably what you want for less irritation.

I would post over in the SE sub-forum for comments and experiences. For short stubble and daily shaving, the stiffer SE blades work better for me personally. There is more to it than just blade gap and exposure.

My Schick razors don't cause irritation for me even with multiple buffing passes on my neck to catch stray whiskers. The first couple of shaves were a little rough on my neck until I got used to the razor and 'dialed' it in. I like the AC format razors a little more but, finding the 'sweet spot' with available razors is a little harder than with an Injector Schick.

Can anyone compare the Greencult 2.0 to either the Blackbird or the Timeless .95?

I currently daily shave with the Timeless .95 SB but have been thinking I'd like something with more blade exposure since I tend to have to use a lot of buffing for a smooth shave with it. I moved to the .95 timeless from the .68 after 6 months or so and had a big reduction in irritation due to the reduced number of passes.

I had been looking at the Blackbird since I regularly see it compared as more efficient than the .95 Timeless, but then I came across this thread.

Since I shave daily, I'm shaving short stubble. My thinking is that I'm not gaining much of anything by going up in blade gap, but I am gaining a lot from going up in exposure. An increased blade gap just allows longer hair to stand up in front of the blade once it's past the safety bar (or that's my thinking anyway). I've read that the blackbird (unconfirmed from the company, user measurements) has a gap ~0.58 mm but an exposure ~0.1 mm. I'm not shaving long hair, so the blackbird seems like it would be a better fit for me based on my experience with the 2 timeless plates (the timeless .68 has neutral exposure while the .95 has 0.05 mm exposure). Again, I'm assuming my gain from the .95 vs .68 was from the exposure and not the gap.

These Greencult 2.0 plates seem to have a lot of variation that would be more suited to someone daily shaving short stubble (relatively small blade gap with relatively large exposure). The level 2 plate has geometry similar to what the blackbird supposedly has. I'm thinking of ordering the level 2 and level 3 plates.

Would love to hear more in the way of comparisons to the timeless and blackbird.
It’s the Timeless 95. Not a very efficient razor. The Greencult level 3 is what you are looking for. But, if you really want a great razor then forget the GC and go straight to the Blackbird or Yates 921-H. Two of the best razors I’ve owned and I’ve had a bunch. The Lupo 95 is also a great option for less money. All these will outperform the Timeless 95.

My original GC v1 cost less than my RR Lupo which is another really great razor, the GC v 1 and 2 are better shaving razors for me.

Yup. I don't think folks in the US always appreciate how much more expensive everything is in Europe - especially products being imported from the US. I know that technically we aren't in Europe any more, but if I do a direct conversion to US dollars from UK prices, then right now I can get a GC 2.0 for $102. That's the same price I would pay for Henson, purchased and shipped from the manufacturer, or purchased from a UK distributor.

A Rocca costs $115, whilst a RR Lupo costs $120.

When you bear those comparative costs in mind, the GC 2.0 is priced very competitively for a multi-plate razor, especially as you can actually get the plates! You can't buy individual Razorock plates from the EU distributors (or choose your handle). If you want a different plate, you have to buy another complete $120 razor.

Damn, I was going to get a Lupo 0.95 but I think I have almost talked myself into a GC 2.0!

You can't buy individual Razorock plates from the EU distributors (or choose your handle)
Rasoigoodfellas lets you select plate and handle. Or at least they have them listed separately. I just checked and I think they even lowered their prices.

I am with you on the pricing by the way. RR razors are much more expensive here in Europe. Same goes for anything imported from the US actually. Karve CB goes up too and so does Timeless. I don’t even want to know what happens when I order (not likely) a Wolfman.

Cheers,

Guido

USA made razors are only one of many things that are significantly more expensive in Europe. Pocket knives like Spyderco models are insanely expensive in the EU. Slip joints are pretty expensive as well making the Soligen made options cost competitive. The UK Lambsfoot knives can be a great bargain though if you can source one locally in the UK/Commonwealth areas. Muella knives for me in the USA are super expensive for some reason even though they appear to be a discounted brand in Europe similar to Joker.

It’s the Timeless 95. Not a very efficient razor. The Greencult level 3 is what you are looking for. But, if you really want a great razor then forget the GC and go straight to the Blackbird or Yates 921-H. Two of the best razors I’ve owned and I’ve had a bunch. The Lupo 95 is also a great option for less money. All these will outperform the Timeless 95.
Thanks. Hadn't looked at the Yates yet. Would you say the Blackbird is overall more efficient or in some other way (smoother?) better than the Greencult 2.0 #3 or #4 plate? It is what I was originally leaning toward till I came across all the praise for the Greencult.

Rasoigoodfellas lets you select plate and handle. Or at least they have them listed separately. I just checked and I think they even lowered their prices.

Literally just after I posted I thought, "Mmm...I wonder if RasioGoodfellas stock individual plates!". Apparently it's just the UK distributors with limited options (one of whom has said they are going to stop stocking Razorock as the demand isn't there).

Still, €65 ($71) for a Lupo plate at rasiogoodfellas vs $38 in the USA, they ain't exactly giving them away. Kind of demonstrates what we are saying.

USA made razors are only one of many things that are significantly more expensive in Europe. Pocket knives like Spyderco models are insanely expensive in the EU.

I used to have the beginnings of a Spyderco collection until a couple of years ago. I had a PM3 and a Manix Lightweight sitting in my cart all month just waiting for payday. Got paid, went to check out and the prices had almost doubled overnight. Well, I never bought them or any other Spydercos! Apparently Sal at Spyderco knew they suddenly had a lot of loyal EU customers who weren't very happy at such a huge price hike, but said it was the distributors controlling it and out of his hands. He's a stand up guy so I certainly believe that.

Still, €65 ($71) for a Lupo plate at rasiogoodfellas vs $38 in the USA, they ain't exactly giving them away. Kind of demonstrates what we are saying.
Indeed, but I believe they were €95 first. Still almost double from the US.

Guido

Why don't the EU/UK members buy their Razorocks from the USA? Is the import duty and shipping cost excessive?

I have purchased a lot of stuff from the UK and EU, often with free shipping, for ~60% of what it costs here in the USA.

Right now, I have an order from Finland headed my way with ~6 calendar day shipping that was literally 1/3 the cost of the same stuff in the USA. My razors are mostly 50% of their cost in the USA as well along with lower tier "working class" shave soaps. Heck, my ceramic jar of Woolfat shave soap was less than the cost of a bare puck in the USA! 😲

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was looking at Razorock 24 sale over at Italian barber today and one of the fellows (@Phoenixkh I'm thinking on another thread?) mentioned that IB was selling Green cult brand on their site now. Might be a good savings for shipping and exchange rate attraction if a person is interested in Green cult razors. They are made in Austria and must to a good product from my limited research from others who own them and used them. I was looking at Green cult razors months ago when they where very popular but lost interest along the way for some reason.

Why don't the EU/UK members buy their Razorocks from the USA? Is the import duty and shipping cost excessive?

Those costs certainly are a factor if you get caught by them. You will pay VAT of 20% on the total cost of the package (including shipping charges) and you may also have to pay duties (2.5% of goods value) that are added on first, before the VAT calculation. In the case of RR/IB, they refused to ship to UK customers after Brexit. They claimed our customs regime was too complicated...although that was based on a complete misunderstanding. Even after someone explained it to them (it’s basically no different than shipping anywhere else) they refused to change their policy.

Thanks. Hadn't looked at the Yates yet. Would you say the Blackbird is overall more efficient or in some other way (smoother?) better than the Greencult 2.0 #3 or #4 plate? It is what I was originally leaning toward till I came across all the praise for the Greencult.
I have the GC plate 2 and 3. I get some irritation when using them. I think it’s due to the hefty weight of the razor. The Blackbird and Yates shave as close or closer with no irritation. The Blackbird has the most blade feel yet never irritates my skin.

I have the GC plate 2 and 3. I get some irritation when using them. I think it’s due to the hefty weight of the razor. The Blackbird and Yates shave as close or closer with no irritation. The Blackbird has the most blade feel yet never irritates my skin.
Appreciate this feedback. I'm interested in getting a razor with more blade exposure than my Rockwell 6s. These all seem like good options.

For the price the Lupo 95 seems like great value, but I have the GameChanger 84p and I don't like it at all. For me it's less efficient, while also being more irritating. So I'm concerned that the Razorock geometry just doesn't get along with me. Also Razorock doesn't accept returns (which is fair considering their price point).

So I'm cosidering:

1. Lupo 72/95
    1. Best "Value"
    2. Don't like GameChanger, so worried about geometry
  2. Green Cult 2.0
    1. Medium cost
    2. Seems like a great option
  3. Yates 921-H
    1. Medium high cost
    2. Not sure I'll like the wider gap
  4. Blackbird
    1. Highest cost
    2. Seems like best performance, comfortable yet efficient.
So, I guess I'm mostly interested in if option 4 is worth 2x the cost of option 2...

So I'm cosidering:

1. Lupo 72/95
    1. Best "Value"
  2. the Green Cult 2.0
    1. Medium cost
  3. Yates 921-H
    1. Medium high cost
  4. Blackbird
    1. Highest cost
So, I guess I'm mostly interested in if option 4 is worth 2x the cost of option 2...
The Muhle Rocca and Edwin Jagger 3one6 are both really nice for me and out of the EU run $60~$80 depending the time of year, exchange rates, etc.

I should note I also get free shipping typically but, sometimes I need a tuck of blades or some soap to get there.

Just what I need, more options! :laugh:

Looks like if I order from www.themodernman.co.uk I can get a pretty good deal on the Rocca, but ordering from USA it's priced between the Green Cult 2.0 and the Yates.

Also it seems to have less blade exposure than the ones on my list, but I'll need to look into that more to confirm.

Thanks for the suggestion @sidpost !

Blade exposure and blade gaps don't always translate to be equivalent between DE razors.

That's why it is a whole easier with the Razorock variants versus different razor brands in comparisons of dissimilar options.

For a moderate price all stainless razor, the Muhle and EJ are reliable options for most people IMHO. I would read a lot of reviews and look for users that have similar facial features to guide me to a choice that is likely to meet my needs or desires. BST is always there if a razor doesn't work out for you as well.

Blade exposure and blade gaps don't always translate to be equivalent between DE razors.
I have experienced this with the Gamchanger and Rockwell 6s -- almost same exposure and gaps, but totally different feel and result.
That's why it is a whole easier with the Razorock variants versus different razor brands in comparisons of dissimilar options.

For a moderate price all stainless razor, the Muhle and EJ are reliable options for most people IMHO. I would read a lot of reviews and look for users that have similar facial features to guide me to a choice that is likely to meet my needs or desires. BST is always there if a razor doesn't work out for you as well.
I will, thanks. And in the end you never know till you try it ... I'll have to start taking advantage of BST!

Appreciate this feedback. I'm interested in getting a razor with more blade exposure than my Rockwell 6s. These all seem like good options.

For the price the Lupo 95 seems like great value, but I have the GameChanger 84p and I don't like it at all. For me it's less efficient, while also being more irritating. So I'm concerned that the Razorock geometry just doesn't get along with me. Also Razorock doesn't accept returns (which is fair considering their price point).

So I'm cosidering:

1. Lupo 72/95
    1. Best "Value"
  2. Green Cult 2.0
    1. Medium cost
  3. Yates 921-H
    1. Medium high cost
  4. Blackbird
    1. Highest cost
GC 84p and Lupo 95 are two different things both in terms of efficiency and sensation of the blade on the face
I can use GC 84p every day, I don't think Lupo 95

Reactions: cf1
Lupo and GC to me are totally different. I think the Lupo sweet spot is the .72SB but .95 has a little bit more efficiency for more blade feel. Not sure how long you’ve tried the GC or how many blades you’ve tried.

Yates H is very good and also the blackbird. I’d say the Yates is closer to the 6s with shave angle and feel than blackbird but in the end you gotta try for yourself. Yates was less learning curve and is smoother to me.

Top Bottom