What's new

My new blade tracking device

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Hello gentlemen

Not long ago, when I participated in the B&B discussion, I proposed that "Abacus" is suitable as a computing device, and I quickly found this little thing- full copper manufacturing abacus.
Abacus is an ancient device that is widely used in various cultures. This abacus belongs to the Asian format, especially the Chinese people region.
算盤01.jpg

Its size is smaller than the abacus actually used in traditional stores, but it is still enough to smoothly fiddling with fingers; although it is not suitable for fast business calculations, it is enough to track the number of blades and does not occupy too much in shave den.
算盤02.jpg

There are a total of nine rows, and each row can be calculated to 15 respectively, so it can track multiple blades at the same time, and two rows can also be used together to display a larger number (such as 99 or 9999).

The following is a digital demonstration:
1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9
算盤03.jpg

The following is a digital demonstration:
10/11/12/13/14/15/0/0/0
算盤04.jpg

I believe this is a good addition to my shave den.
Thanks for reading :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They have been around for a very long time. We played around with them at school. I still don’t get them. I hate mathematics though.

ERS4

They have been around for a very long time. We played around with them at school. I still don’t get them. I hate mathematics though.

Mathematics is also a course that I was very afraid of when I was a student ha ha ha ha~~~~
When I was young, I would even run away from the abacus course, but I didn't expect that today I was so happy that he appeared in my shaving hobby.

Looks nice. I just toss all of them when confused.....irrespective of number of uses.....
Some may be passed to the "shavette" lineup, for one last use.....(must be sharp and low number blade).

I never get more than 3-4 shaves from a blade, maybe 5 on occasions, so the fingers on one hand work just fine for counting.

ERS4

Looks nice. I just toss all of them when confused.....irrespective of number of uses.....
Some may be passed to the "shavette" lineup, for one last use.....(must be sharp and low number blade).

I originally used a similar method, which is really simple and effective.
Later, I added tracking to help me grasp the quality of the blade and the cost I spent every year.

I never get more than 3-4 shaves from a blade, maybe 5 on occasions, so the fingers on one hand work just fine for counting.

I used the red and blue packaging Gillette and got 30 shaves on each blade; it's difficult to count such times by fingers or rotating the mouthwash cup, and occasionally use shavette alternately.
The shaving range included all my head and face.

However, consistent quality cannot be obtained on Dorco ST300, and sometimes it feels uncomfortable even once or twice.

Since shaving is fun, I don’t mind adding a little more historical and interesting gadgets, especially it does not take up much area.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I like that! Abaci and similar calculating tools are fascinating to me. I have a couple of abacuses (dang what IS the plural?), a couple of sliderules, a working Texas Instruments calculator from the early '70s, and a Curta.

There are some excellent abacus resources online, as well as some good fairly recent books.

O.H.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very cool
I change my 3 razors just about once a week. I would probably drop that thing and mix up the count. lol

ERS4

I like that! Abaci and similar calculating tools are fascinating to me. I have a couple of abacuses (dang what IS the plural?), a couple of sliderules, a working Texas Instruments calculator from the early '70s, and a Curta.
There are some excellent abacus resources online, as well as some good fairly recent books.
O.H.

The plural "abacuses" should be correct.

I also think that this kind of tool with a long history and does not rely on electricity is very fun. I can spend a lot of time just by practicing addition.
Even if the beads are flicked or shaken to make a sound, they can also play the function of "fidget toy".

Very cool
I change my 3 razors just about once a week. I would probably drop that thing and mix up the count. lol

These three razors must be very happy that you can get along with them often.
My harem takes turns after 30 uses, and I can feel them pouting.

Great idea, I haven't used an Abacus in years.

When I got this abacus, I couldn't help but practice calculations, and even played multiplication all afternoon.
Now I want to go back to my hometown to find out the standard size abacus that used in business calculations during my student days.

Top Bottom