What's new

My new aftershave blend - out for testing.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
4-14-2017
My allergies are acting up as is normal this time of year, but this morning my sniffer was working pretty good. I choose Proraso Red cream because it's scent is very mild and is gone by the time I get to aftershave application.

Pre Shave: Everyman Jack Face Scrub (in shower)
Hot Towel
Razor: RazoRock Protege
Blade: Feather
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm Synthetic Marble
Cream: Proraso Red
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers Unscented
After Shave: KJ's Blend "A"
Non Shave Areas: LAB Series Pro LS All-In-One Face Treatment

Setup-4-14-2017.jpg

2 different mixtures. A and B. There is a slight but distinct difference in the smell of the two blends. Both smell really nice. Today I used A. It has some florals, citrus, spice, musk, and a little clubman like powder scent. Just guessing I think it has some Brut in it and maybe some Barbasol Brisk. There is something else there that is familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. I splashed on a good amount and there was just a slight burn, then a slight cooling effect. Nice dry down and face feel! This juice has some longevity I could still smell the spot I put on my forearm a good 6 hours later.

I took the 2 samples with me tonight and let some friends smell them. No one really choose one over the other. Everyone agreed that they were slightly different and liked both of them. A couple of them thought that the scent I can't identify could be AV Musk. I don't have any of that so I'll have to get some to compare.

I'll use B next and post my observations on it then.

Blend A - Day 2

Warm shower face wash with Shea Butter soap
Black Badger Brush - made by a friend
GFT Coconut Oil Shaving Cream (face lathered)
Dubl Duck Satin Wedge
Blend A Aftershave

This was a great shave from beginning to end, and it concluded with a kiss and a "you smell really nice." On my first round, I decided that I liked B scent the best, but now I'm not so sure. They are both nice, but the less pungent, slightly more powdery (to me) Blend A seems perfect today. The "Brut-like" notes are still there, but something else comes through much more in A. Like Jaidmaster, I like a little menthol and I don't get it in A like I did in B. The post shave face feel, I'm thinking, is a little better in A too. Then again, that could be from the Coconut Oil Cream.

I'm looking forward to trying B again.

P.S. Edit - I just got another, "I really like this one" from the LOTH.

I would suggest one thing. When comparing A to B, you should probably keep everything else the same for those two shaves, so one particular item, like soap scent, doesn't influence one over the other. Make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest one thing. When comparing A to B, you should probably keep everything else the same for those two shaves, so one particular item, like soap scent, doesn't influence one over the other. Make sense?

Absolutely. I did use Baume.be for both shaves on the first go round. I plan to use the GFT again when I try Blend B next.

My review of sample B

My shave:
Razor - 1932 Canadian pre war Tech
Blade - Derby Premium
Brush - Omega 40033
Soap - Stirling Island Man
Showered between shave and aftershave application. Didn't want shaving soap to affect review of aftershave.
Aftershave - Sample B

Initial contact - Slight pleasurable burn with a menthol undertone (suspect Mennen's Brisk)
Initial sent - I don't notice the powdery scent of Clubman, but the Brute is still there. The presence of more of an oriental scent is quite noticeable (hard to describe).
Dry down - Brute sent continued, but oriental scent faded slightly quicker.
Longevity - Two to three hours and the sect was negligible.
Feel on skin - Non drying of my skin and no irritation. Felt good; left my face feeling healthy.
First thoughts - I didn't find the sent oriental in respect as nice, but as I said before, I'm not fond of Brute (bad history with it). That said the mix of Sample B was not as well receive as Sample A.

SWMBO didn't enjoyed the smell of it. :confused::frown2:

I have been using them the next morning as well, to get a cleaner scent experience (night shaver).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Agreed. I am also of the opinion, that if someone was to prefer "A" over "B" but wanted a bit of menthol? If they added a bit of menthol to "A" they would probably get the exact same scent and concoction as "B". In other words, the menthol in "B" is the only difference from "A". And that is enough to change their already very similar scent profile.

I am also of the opinion, that if someone was to prefer "A" over "B" but wanted a bit of menthol? If they added a bit of menthol to "A" they would probably get the exact same scent and concoction as "B". In other words, the menthol in "B" is the only difference from "A". And that is enough to change their already very similar scent profile.

I disagree, but I'm not commenting on the formula until all reviews are in.

Whoops, my mistake. I have a second mail slot on the front of my garage that I rarely check. The post man will drop some things in there on a whim very rarely, I think this is only the 3rd time since I've lived here that I've found mail in this box.
Anyways I found my samples in there, thanks a bunch KJ! I'll use them and post some thoughts before I leave for vacation next weekend.
In the bottle they're fairly similar, A is a bit more vibrant and maybe powdery. B is a little more subdued but has a spicier note. Can't wait to try them out.

Also I was just outside cutting grass so I'm sure my sinuses are stuffed with pollen... I'll make sure to sample them on my skin when I come home from the gym and spent some time in the steam room getting cleaned out.

Top Bottom