What's new

My new aftershave blend - out for testing.

Over the years, I've mixed up a few aftershave blends. Some I have posted in the Badger Blends thread, and others not. Most of the blends I have made are just kinda meh. The only one I've ever made that I continue to use is my Musk blend (Clubman Musk, AV Musk, & Jovan Musk).

Now, I have created a new blend that I think is really special. It has a vintage oriental vibe to it. I shared the recipe with OkieStubble, and we realized that there are two different ways to make it. They are very similar, but with a couple differences. The things was, I preferred one formula, and he preferred the other.

So I sent out some samples of both formulas to a few members for testing. I'm curious if folks like the scent in general, if they detect the differences between them, and which one they prefer.

Thanks in advance for all my testers out there. Can't wait to hear your reviews.

Sample A
50% Skin Bracer
50% Brut Aftershave

Sample B
50% Skin Bracer
50% Brut Splash-On

Last edited by a moderator:
Anxious to get the details! I enjoy mixing aftershaves to get different scents and/or characteristics.

Anxious to get the details! I enjoy mixing aftershaves to get different scents and/or characteristics.
I too would love to know more, especially what was blended and how much. Blending aftershave is a great way to make new and interesting scents.

I'll fill everyone in on the details of the recipes after all the reviews are in. I don't want to bias the reviews based on what's in them. Some folks may be able to tell what is in it by the scent, but the ingredients do blend well, and it really smells like something new..... all while being reminiscent of something old. All ingredients are cheap and easy to find.

On deck for tonight! There was some leakage but was contained inside the plastic bag.
The bag did make the trashcan smell pretty good though! :tongue_sm

Just got it in; will try it first thing in the morning. I couldn't wait to smell each. To my nose; definitely day and night difference. But I'll give full review of "A" after my shave.

Thank you for the opportunity; this will be fun. :001_cool:

Blend A

I decided to jump right in and use this last night.
Ikon Tech
Derby Premium (1)
Shave Rev EVO 24mm Synth
B&M First Snow
Vez Blend A

Splashing this on after my shave I was not sure what to expect. There was not much burn at all, very soothing. I could not detect any menthol, but First Snow does have a small amount, so could be masking a small amount.
The top notes were very nice and clean smelling. Maybe slightly powdery, but not a lot. As it dried down some, I was presented with a familiar scent. Having a hard time pinpointing it, but has a bit of a Brut type vibe. It's something I have not smelled in a long time, but is familiar.
Face feel was very neutral - not very moisturizing, not what I'd call drying.
After a few minutes, I splashed on some more. Like the top notes quite a bit, but are gone pretty quickly.
Out of the bathroom and to my wife. She buried her face in my neck and said "Oooh, you smell good enough to eat!"
:001_smile
The First Snow leather was coming through a bit still, which was skewing the scent.

This morning, I could not really pick up any residual scent, so splashed on some more. It's 2 hours later now and can just pick up whiffs of the base notes.

After first use, I can say that it's enjoyable. I'd probably add a bit of glycerin and menthol if I were making this myself.
Top notes are fresh, spicy and clean. Drydown is still spicy and maybe a bit woody? A familiar scent that is going to have me thinking about where I've smelled it before! :001_cool: Longevity is just ok, but I'm glad the base notes are not stronger, as it would be a bit much for my nose.
SOTD_041117.JPG

Blend A

Here's this morning's shave:
Rogers XY, 9/16"
Frank Shaving 2-band
Baume.be Shaving Cream
Mystery Blend A

IMG_1024.jpg

I plan to use the baume.be each day that I try this out, both because I love it, and because I want to minimize the differences that using different soaps and creams could cause to what I detect in the scent of the blend.

Like Jaidmaster, I wasn't sure what to expect. The first splash was very comfortable with a nice, somewhat herbal/spice scent. I get the sense that Brut is one of the components too, though now about three hours later, that is much less apparent. Now I'm getting a lot more powder with still a bit of oriental spice. I almost get a Skin Bracer scent now. I'm liking it but it seems to be fading pretty fast. On first application, it seemed to dry fairly quickly, but didn't dry out my face. Now, my face feels really nice. I'm looking forward to trying out Blend B tomorrow, then I'll go through another round after that. This one is definitely on the right track. I look forward to using it again on Friday.

Nice reviews of the blends guys. I'm guessing I didn't respond correctly to KJs conversation.
Haven't used the site much since the layout change.

My review of sample A

My shave:
Razor - 1932 Canadian pre war Tech
Blade - Derby Premium
Brush - Omega 40033
Soap - Stirling Island Man
Showered between shave and aftershave application. Didn't want shaving soap to affect review of aftershave.
Aftershave - Sample A

Initial contact - Slight pleasurable burn with a menthol undertone (suspect Mennen's Brisk)
Initial sent - Powdery sent with a back drop of Brute. I'm not big on Brute, but the Clubman sent balanced it off.
Dry down - powdery sent continued, but Brute faded slightly quicker.
Longevity - Two to three hours and the sect was negligible.
Feel on skin - Non drying of my skin and no irritation. Felt good; left my face feeling healthy.
First thoughts - I didn't find the sent oriental in respect, but as I said before, I'm not fond of Brute. That said the mixture of Clubman and Brute was pleasant.

SWMBO enjoyed the smell of it.

Each of my subsequent shaves will be using a scentless to nearly scentless shaving soap as to not interfere with results of aftershave.

Blend B

Gem Junior
Gem SS (6)
Whipped Dog High Mountain
Baume.be
The Blend

This one was really nice this morning. I got more of the Brut top - anise, etc., and a little more menthol feel. That powder is still there though. I'll be interested to see if this one dries down to just the powder or if some of the other notes stay around a bit. The LOTH had already left for work when I put on Blend A yesterday, but this morning she said she really liked B. I'll catch her with A tomorrow. The face feel of this blend seems very much the same as Blend A.

First impression: I'm liking this one a bit more in terms of scent.

Vez Blend B

I seemed to get a bit more burn with B, but could be due to the menthol soap I used with A, so not conclusive.
Top notes are quite different than A. Seems more Clubman like with Brut undertones.
B is more synergistic to my nose.
A quickly changes from top to base without much in between. I think the proportions could be played with to give more of that opening, or something added for the middle to make the transition smoother?
A is more like 2 different AS.
B has a more finished scent. The longevity of the scents are more in line with one another so makes it more of a new scent experience.

Overall I will say that I think B is a better blend, but A intrigues me more and makes me want to experiment with that blend a bit.
Wife liked both and told me I like to tease her (blend B).
Both are quite soothing.

SOTD_041317.JPG

Top Bottom