What's new

My intro to cold water shaving.

I realized that I seriously hijacked the Hot or Cold water thread (poll) so I decided to start another thread.

Cold water day 2.

Razor: '59 Red Tip
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Black Badger
Soap: Captains Choice 45th. Parallel, bowl lather
Pre: cold water face wash

Seemed like the lather took longer still this morning but the brush is still new and I was using a smaller bowl. I took a little longer washing my face this morning and got a little better soak I think. Same 2 pass shave with touch up, this morning the shave was a DFS. I still don't care much for the shock of the cold water, I should add that our tap water is very cool, actually cold would describe it better. The blade I used this morning only had a couple of shaves on it while the Feather I used yesterday had at least five and probably 6 or 7 so it was probably a little dull, still comfortable though. I feel like I'm getting the cold water dialed in but I'll give it tomorrow and Saturday to make up my mind.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been cold water rinsing after each pass for last 4 years and enjoy it. As for lather making I use a mister a lot that is at room temperature, I will heat my ceramic bowl under the tap in winter months for about 20 seconds and my brush is warmed up also before the lather making is started. But after that it is cold water rinses after each pass and I find it calms the skin also, my brain or body is telling me it enjoys it a lot.
I use to take the time with the hot towel pre-shave routine but it is not as effective for my routine and cold water rinsing is #1 method for my routine.
(old archived photo of warming up my ceramic bowl for 20 seconds in those cold winter months!)
Shaving bowl Septemper 11, 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I've only done one cold water shave so far but it was definitely superior to the usual hot water shaves in terms of closeness and comfort. The only drawback was the first cold splash prior to shaving after getting out of a hot shower 🙀. Very bracing. The real challenge will be if I can keep up with the cold water once winter comes.

Cold water day 3.

Blade: Voskhod Teflon coated

This morning my shave was the same as yesterday with 2 exceptions, I loaded a new Voskhod Teflon coated blade in the Red Tip and I made my lather in my Timeless bowl. The lather came much quicker this morning with the Timeless bowl. I got another DFS today, I must admit that the cold water is working much better that I thought it would but the shock is still there.

We don't have hot water, except in the shower and then it is not really hot, just warm. All of my shaves are in cold tap water. When using cold water, taking the time to moisten the beard really well is vital to having a comfortable shave. Cold water does have advantages. For one, it won't thin and wash away natural oils on your beard and skin. It also keeps the skin tight.

Cold water day 4

Blade: Voskhod Teflon coated

This morning I shaved with the same set up I used yesterday morning. There was a little less trauma this morning, I'm not sure if the water may have been a few degrees warmer than normal or if I'm just getting used to the shock. I have not noticed a smoother shave but the cold water produced a shave that was every bit as nice as a warm water shave. The last 4 mornings have been an eye opener for me, I would never have thought the cold water would have worked as well as it did. My thanks to all of you who responded to the original thread and to this one as well, it has been an interesting experience for me! While I doubt I'll ever forego the warm water, I'll have another option if the mood strikes.

I think I'll celebrate Sunday with a three pass shave :biggrin1:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just am too big of a sissified girly-man to do the cool water shave.

My incredibly handsome face likes a warm soak before shaving, and....

It just strikes me as heretical using cool or cold water for shaving.

BUT: I have been known to do a final rinse once or twice a year using cool or tepid water. But then again, I'm a self confessed sissy.

On the hot days, I really enjoy a cold water shave. I didn't think it would be as comfortable or as irritation free as it is. Granted, we don't have many hot days here in Canada so I get a lot of cold shaves regardless.

Well gents, I'm back on the hot/warm water! The shave isn't any closer or smoother but I just enjoy it more. I have been using a cool water rinse though so call me a partial convert. I'm sure that now that I know about cold water I'll use it on occasion just for a change up if nothing else.
Thank you all for sharing your insight and experiences with me!

I tried the cold water shave for about 2 days after reading about it on another thread last year. And I guess it was with water as cold as we can get it here in Florida which isn't very cold. Cold tap water here comes out lukewarm!
Anyways, it was uncomfortable for me and felt that they were rough shaves. Apparently from what I read, the goal isn't to moisten the whiskers since that's difficult to do with cold water. You keep them rigid and shave through them while they're in that state. In the end all I got was 2 rough shaves that were irritating and uncomfortable because of the cold water feel during the shave. I've never seen a professional barber anywhere that cold shaves anyone!
That kind of tells me that it's not the best way to shave (at least not for me).
Warm or hot water moistens the whiskers and skin where the blade will take the hair off like butter. Feels good and zero irritation!
Maybe one day I'll give the cold shave another try but I doubt I will!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I tried the cold water shave for about 2 days after reading about it on another thread last year. And I guess it was with water as cold as we can get it here in Florida which isn't very cold. Cold tap water here comes out lukewarm!
Anyways, it was uncomfortable for me and felt that they were rough shaves. Apparently from what I read, the goal isn't to moisten the whiskers since that's difficult to do with cold water. You keep them rigid and shave through them while they're in that state. In the end all I got was 2 rough shaves that were irritating and uncomfortable because of the cold water feel during the shave. I've never seen a professional barber anywhere that cold shaves anyone!
That kind of tells me that it's not the best way to shave (at least not for me).
Warm or hot water moistens the whiskers and skin where the blade will take the hair off like butter. Feels good and zero irritation!
Maybe one day I'll give the cold shave another try but I doubt I will!
After seeing the cold water shaving threads pop up a while back, I tried it... I wasn't thrilled. Then we had to trips to Bali in the past several months and hot water is barely available for a shower.. Warm water is even a challenge there. So I shaved for a total of 10 weeks with cold water.

As soon as we got home... the first thing we did was take a hot shower..... and I never tried cold water shaves since at home. I like having hot water and no longer take it for granted. <eg>

Cold water shaves are fantastic during these dog days of summer. I still use warm water first to wet and load the brush, just seems to get more soap loaded quickly. But then it's all cold water for the lather and rinses. the weirdest part to get used to for me is the cold razor plate against your skin, but it's refreshing.

Top Bottom