What's new

My Guess... 3017

Thanks! And please do weigh it before sending it if you haven't already. I have a scale but it only weighs down to the tenth of an ounce (+/- 2.8g).

I bought this scale on eBay for my coffee, it has an 0.1g resolution and is only $8. Just in case you're thinking about wanting higher resolution for your 3017.

I killed my Razorock sample today.
Razorock XXX: 11/17 - 11/24, 4 shaves
next: TOBS Avocado (already changing things up because I know there is only one shave of that left in the tub).

Thanks for the scale recommendation. I've been thinking about something like that, just hasn't been a "need" sort of thing.

Maybe I can start making soap and justify it that way. :)

Lineup: AoS Ocean Kelp (1);

Have you made a test lather with AoS Ocean Kelp? That was my wife's favorite scent at the AoS store.

Meanwhile, Wow @ Jim ... a woman can go through an entire pregnancy while he 3017's a single AOS or DRH hard puck! That amount of usage means that since I rotate and use DRH about once a week, I will get through it... never. :001_smile

Hilarious!

Last edited:
I've FINALLY finished the half-stick of Speick I started back in Speicktember. Other than a few shaves while in the hospital (birth of daughter, and her admit to the hospital a few days later), I've stayed true to the Speick since I started it back up. Once it got a little too small to use as a stick, I stuck it into an Old Spice mug to facilitate loading. Yet again, I demonstrate my complete dearth of soap-purchasing needs. I just CAN'T use up stuff quickly. I've done a poor job of updating my "Unique Combinations" spreadsheet for the duration of Speick, a trend that started on my daughter's birth, so I don't know exactly how many shaves I had, but we can assume 2-3 a week which would be about 33 give-or-take. Sounds about right.

SoapBegin DateEnd DateNo. of Shaves
Haslinger Schafmilch (60 gm)22 Feb 201410 July 201459
Speick Stick (half)Sometime in September24 November 2014Unknown
QED Special 21825 November 2014

Wow that was fast!

How are you gents accounting for days not shaved and or traveling and using a travel product?

I was simply going to discount the total days by 10% for that. Is that enough do you think?

I typically keep track of each day shaved. I don't think I've ever shaved 7 days straight. It's more like 2-3 shaves a week for me. I don't think days is a very good measure when determining efficacy of soap, unless one shaves everyday.

brucered

System Generated
Here are my costs per shave with my 3017 soaps/creams.

All prices are PRE-shipping, USD, no taxes and based on the going rate for price (WCS, IB, direct etc) and per shave based on my usage.

Obviously shipping plays a big part as does when I buy from Canadian vendors and get charged +12% taxes, but those are not calculated into the numbers below.

Mystic Water - $0.34
QCS Cream - $0.93
GFT Coconut Cream - $0.65
PdP - $0.16
Nancy Boy - $0.48
LaToja Stick - $0.39
PannaCreama - $0.45
Proraso Blue - $0.21
Haslinger - $0.38
RR P.160 - $0.25
Castle Forbes - $0.98
RR Mudder - $0.30 (still in use)

There were a few I couldn't calculate because of the limited use or no longer available. It's funny when I look at it, as the two most enjoyable and some of the best performing soaps on my list are the two cheapest per shave.

Last edited:
Have you made a test lather with AoS Ocean Kelp? That was my wife's favorite scent at the AoS store.

No I haven't tried a test lather yet. I only have enough for one or two lathers so I don't want to 'waste' it, but it smells awesome. But if you are thinking about getting some so the wife is happy, it's $21 and free shipping from Amazon instead of $25 from AoS. I did try the ocean kelp lotion in store and much prefer their balms. I wish it was available as both.

So, I need to know from one of you experienced 3017'ers how much longer do I have with this RR SOZ? My goal is to have it murdered by Wednesday so I can use my new SCS Pumpkin for the holiday on Thursday (thanks egh128!). I find it to be a very fitting soap for our annual turkey day, and want to start using it while in season, if I don't eat it first...

(oops, I forgot to attatch the pic)

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1416879150968.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416879150968.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 143
I think it depends a lot on the user and their water hardness.

For me that looks like it would last a week to 10 days. Could I murder it in 2? Probably, but it would be pretty wasteful.

If it's any consolation, you can certainly take a break from your 3017 to use a special soap for whatever occasion you want. I think for most, 3017 is more of a method to get the best out of their shaves and less about rigid monogamy to one product at a time.

I think it depends a lot on the user and their water hardness.

For me that looks like it would last a week to 10 days. Could I murder it in 2? Probably, but it would be pretty wasteful.

If it's any consolation, you can certainly take a break from your 3017 to use a special soap for whatever occasion you want. I think for most, 3017 is more of a method to get the best out of their shaves and less about rigid monogamy to one product at a time.
Thank you. And truth be told, I do plan on using the SCS Pumpkin for thanksgiving because I suspect 10 more shaves with the RR SOZ. My water it's soft and I tend to have very short load times (less than 30 seconds) It is exciting to see the bottom of a soap finally.

Thank you. And truth be told, I do plan on using the SCS Pumpkin for thanksgiving because I suspect 10 more shaves with the RR SOZ. My water it's soft and I tend to have very short load times (less than 30 seconds) It is exciting to see the bottom of a soap finally.
Same here with soft water. I think it's a pretty good problem to have, honestly. Just have to get over the idea of a new soap every month if you want to go the 3017 route.

Seeing the bottom is pretty thrilling for me too. Congrats.

No I haven't tried a test lather yet. I only have enough for one or two lathers so I don't want to 'waste' it, but it smells awesome. But if you are thinking about getting some so the wife is happy, it's $21 and free shipping from Amazon instead of $25 from AoS. I did try the ocean kelp lotion in store and much prefer their balms. I wish it was available as both.

Thanks for the heads up, Gig. Unfortunately/Fortunately I made a few too many purchases since window shopping at AoS . . . and promised said wife that I would hold off on new soap acquisitions for a long time. [emoji57]

Was thinking of picking up a Muhle synthetic for the holidays. For travel, do you think the 21mm would work better than 19?

The brushes seem a bit hit or miss based on the knot splay. Some of them are tighter and others wider. My 19mm had a wider splay and worked great. The 21 and 23 I had were a bit tighter so they were more floppy rather than splaying out. They worked but required a lot of pressure. The 25 I have now is super dense and a tighter knot but it kind of works.

I'm going to be traveling more so I'll probably upgrade to a 23, maybe a 21, and maybe just work the knot out wider over time if it's too tight.

I'll be honest, I'm getting pretty bored with the Maca Root. It shaves well, but I probably have another 6-8 weeks of the same thing over and over again. I might take a break.

I calculate my shaves by start and end dates, which gives me number of days, plus or minus any additional lathers or skipped days.

StartedFinishedDaysPrevShavesBrandPriceGramsG/Shv$/Gr$/Shv
8/12/20139/16/2013361046Van der Hagen Luxury$51002.20.050.11
9/17/201411/5/201450050Palmolive Shave Stick$2501.00.040.04
11/24/201312/23/201330737Van der Hagen Deluxe$3501.40.060.08
7/30/20148/20/2014221436RazoRock XXX$101253.50.080.28
8/22/20149/3/201413821Coates Lime$5502.40.100.24
9/4/20149/12/201491019Cella$3502.60.060.16
9/13/20149/30/201418220Tabac (paused)$4502.50.080.20
10/1/201410/18/201418220SCS Pumpkin$7854.30.080.35
10/19/201410/25/201462531Tabac (finished)$4501.60.080.13

Highest cost per shave were SCS Pumpkin, a soft and crumbly soap, and RazoRock XXX, another soft soap.

Lowest cost per shave were Palmolive shave stick and VDH Deluxe, both really cheap soaps.

One of the hardest soaps I've used, Pre de Provence, will probably last about 90 lathers at 150 grams, which is about 16 cents per shave. Tabac is around 13 cents per shave, but highly estimated.

I am bored with the Palmolive now.

Getting predictable shaves from it. I only needed stypic yesterday due to switching to an Astra SP from my Personna Reds in my slim.

Top Bottom