What's new

My Great Grandfather's Blade

L

Lord Henry

Afternoon Guys,

Mom just presented me with a wonderful surprise... My Great Grandfather's Striaght Razor. But I'm a little lost. I'v used a double edge for a couple of years now but this will be a new experience. First of all it needs some work.

Here's what it is...

Handle - semi transparent red handle with rivets.

Blade is marked Goedecke Solingen on one side with a man standing over an anvil.

The other side of the blade has the following Hochwertiger Edelstahl U.SCAL/FF Solingen

The blade is has a diamond shaped patern along the spine and the work Prima in bold at the back end.

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

LH

What an amazing gift! I would be so thrilled to receive something so cool... Well, first off I'm really new to straight razors so take this with a grain of salt. The big guns will be along shortly to help ya out.

First off, how about some pictures of that bad boy? It would help diagnose the condition of that treasure, but as a group we are suckers for pictures of cool straight razors. I don't have knowledge of the manufacturer, but in general anything stamped solingen is of very good quality. AFAIK, most issues can be rectified on old blades, with the exception of too much rust or pitting on the cutting edge of the blade.

At the top of this forum is a sticky called The interactive guide to straight razor shaving that guide will give you a solid primer of what to expect if you choose to delve into the marvelous rabbit hole that is straight razor shaving... More knowledgeable folks who can help more with info on your razor should be along shortly!

L

Lord Henry

proxy.php

proxy.php

Better quality pics in a couple of days when I get home.

Obviously, the rust has to go. It is a beautiful razor. Let's hear from from those with experience restoring razors like this one.

L

Lord Henry

Thanks guys I was really touched when mom presented it along with a photo of Great Grandpa and my Grandma Doris as a baby on his lap.

I can't seem to find anything on the company or razor on the infoweb. A couple of other forums with no real info.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I hope that edge can be saved with all the rust! Those are the best scores!

That certainly looks savable. Although it looks rusty...it looks like surface rust... better pics will tell the story. There is nothing greater than shaving with History. I have 4 straights from my grandfathers. 1 of them is with ray who is doing a partial restore and hone. Congrats .....

Nice razor.

If it was me, I'd send it off to a professional to get cleaned up.

+1
Here's some listings in case you haven't seen it yet. There are many talented people in restoring on these boards. I just got a razor back from Max (third link on the list) and couldn't be happier with the work. Money well spent.

Good luck

Top Bottom