What's new

My Collection is complete!

TSS has a sale going, and I bought an Erbe Solingen 4/10 razor, since I didn't have one in that size. There were a couple Merkur slant safety razors on closeout, and I picked those up as well.

The Erbe Solingen razor turned out to be a nice shaving razor. It responds well to the convex Arkansas stones and I have it honed now to the point that it gives a nice smooth shave. It's surprisingly quiet. I'm not sure if that is a function of a heavier grind or the stainless steel, but it sharpens well and I've enjoyed using it. Jerrod writes that it is a razor that rewards skill, but I haven't found it to be more difficult to use than any other blade. The scales on the Erbe Solingen have a really interesting closed end, and are handsome to my eye.

I tried the Merkur slant razor, and I find it to be aggressive as hell. I don't get so much irritated by it, but I did get a couple of nicks and the alum stone reveals I was well exfoliated from the razor. I prefer Gillette Tech and Lady Gillette safety razors, but having a couple slant razors adds to the completeness of my collection. I have several Gillette Techs, and draw from this pool when I give someone a razor to get them started wet shaving.

I have a couple vintage razors that go back two generations in my family. My Grandfather passed down a cheap 4/10 razor that is fair, and I have his excellent diamond cut razor strop that was used against my father's generation. I don't strop with it, I have a nice modern strop for that. I got my hands on my great grandfather's razors, and most of those have chips in the blades, but there are some very nice 5/8 razors. My Grandfather was cheap, my great grandfather not so much.

I have some nice 5/8 razors, a vintage Boker Edelweiss and a Dovo Sunday Shaver that I like a lot. I have too many 6/8 razors of the Gold Dollar/XY variety. Most of the Chinese examples are not great, but I have some excellent shavers out of the bunch. I have a Dovo Best Quality with broken celluloid scales, which I feel is a common component of a complete collection, such as I have.

I have a few coticule stones, and a couple good convex arks so I feel pretty good there. I have enough honing stones.

In my brushes I have a Simpsons CL1 shaving brush that shed like crazy for a long time, but has settled down and is enjoyable to use now. Mostly I use a TSS house brush with synthetic bristles which has been great and 'just works.' I also sometimes use Razorocks plissoft brushes, and give those away if I have anybody that is interested in wet shaving. So, I have enough brushes, really for a lifetime.

My collection is complete, I have enough razors to keep me keen for the rest of my life. There is no reason for me to shop for more razors.

Jerrod has a lot of stuff on sale, and that guy speaks to me like Ambrose Bierce was calling out for me to buy shaving supplies. There are so many vendors right now selling really cool shaving goods. But for me, I have enough. My collection is really comprehensive and complete.

I don't have a horse or kangaroo strop. I don't have a really high quality 6/8 razor. I have never looked down the JNAT rabbit hole. Why would I, since I have enough?

I have enough. I have enough.

Right?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I do hope that your collection is complete. I have thought that my collection was complete several times.

Good luck!! It takes a tough guy to ’complete’ a collection.:ouch1::ouch1:

(My ‘collection’ has been completed multiple times!)

I tried the slant Merkur again today. Using no pressure at all, just the weight of the razor I had an excellent shave. I think I judged it too harshly, not the harshness of the shave.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wow, your collection is complete, an amazing feat. Congratulations sir! And for how long, may I ask, will your collection be complete?

Wow, your collection is complete, an amazing feat. Congratulations sir! And for how long, may I ask, will your collection be complete?
Not for long. It could be complete, but the interaction between what I need and what I want is skewed toward want.

For now I'm good. I'm good. I'm good.

(Seriously, just tonight I saw shaving oil on clearance at Meijer and bought all of it. Bull Dog brand and I haven't used up all the Somerset's shaving oil I bought on clearance a couple years ago.)

Truth is, no collection is ever complete. I tell myself it is in remorse for buying more.

I hear Kangaroo leather makes a very fine strop. Anybody tried it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom