What's new

My Fourth (and FINAL!) Matching Seven-Day Set (M7DS)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I did no work on this set yesterday. Jellyanne, my girlfriend from Olango Island came to visit me Saturday afternoon so I had to devote my attention to her. Jellyanne also likes to watch me SR shave. Must be a "wanting blood" thing. I disappointed her. She took the early banka back to Olango this morning.

I will try and finish off the edges in this set today (Monday).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yesterday (Monday) I finished off refining this M7DS. I had previously set the beveles using 400, 1k and 6k synthetics so yesterday all 7 got refined on 5um, 3um and 1um films. From there they went through a diamond pasted balsa strop progression of 0.5um, 0.25um and finished with 0.1um (about 200k grit). All edges looked perfect and tree-topped at over 20mm (3/4").

I will not be including this set in my rotation until after the case has been made and the spines engraved. The engraving will be in Gothic English, hopefully with some scrollwork. I think I will refer to this M7DS as my Gothic set. The other three sets will be my Latin, Japanese and English sets.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I pick up the timber case for this set from my cabinetmaker last Friday. Very similar to the case for my Japanese M7DS, just the dimensions changed to suit the SR's. Also made of a fine-grained Rosewood. Not bad for USD 52.
Case Open 01.JPG

Case Open 02.JPG
Here is the case with the Titan 1918 ACRO T.H.64 SR's.
Full Case Open.JPG
I will fit the leather liners at the wedge end supports this week and deliver the set to my engraver on Wednesday. This set will be engraved on the spines in Gothic English with some scroll work at either end of the day name.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I eventually got this set to the engraver last Monday. Received a message from him today that they are going to take longer due to the intricacy of the gothic font and scrollwork. I will be picking them up sometime next week.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Picked up from my engraver yesterday. He said that it was his most difficult set to engrave and he had to do a lot of practice runs to get his hand in. That's why it took him a whole week to complete.

IMG_20201107_113231.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This set was very appealing to my eye but was not one of my favourite M7DS's.

I was going to give this set to my sister in Israel to pass on to her future grandson. She declined my offer so I sold the set (together with a reasonable Chinese leather/denim strop and tnat whetstone) to a gentleman in Cebu.

The gentleman was a cart shaver but wanted to try out SR shaving. I gave him some written instructions but also suggested that he join B&B to get the best advice.

After previously giving my Japanese M7DS to my brother in Japan, that now leaves me with only three M7DS's; Latin, Chinese and English.

This set was very appealing to my eye but was not one of my favourite M7DS's.

I was going to give this set to my sister in Israel to pass on to her future grandson. She declined my offer so I sold the set (together with a reasonable Chinese leather/denim strop and tnat whetstone) to a gentleman in Cebu.

The gentleman was a cart shaver but wanted to try out SR shaving. I gave him some written instructions but also suggested that he join B&B to get the best advice.

After previously giving my Japanese M7DS to my brother in Japan, that now leaves me with only three M7DS's; Latin, Chinese and English.
Sounds like it’s time for another set! 😜

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Sounds like it’s time for another set! 😜
You're not wrong there. I will probably pass on my Chinese M7DS and then start looking at a M7DS of European SR's.

I am starting to feel that three M7DS's is about the right number for a true gentleman of (even modest) means to have. This allows three weeks in a month using M7DS's and the rest of the month using his odds and sods razors.

You're not wrong there. I will probably pass on my Chinese M7DS and then start looking at a M7DS of European SR's.

I am starting to feel that three M7DS's is about the right number for a true gentleman of (even modest) means to have. This allows three weeks in a month using M7DS's and the rest of the month using his odds and sods razors.
That’s awesome!! I’m sure you have a picture posted here somewhere already, but I for one sure would love to see them all together!

I’m hoping to head down the SR path once I finish the year long sabbatical (hopefully I don’t fall down the rabbit hole too hard).

Top Bottom