What's new

My first Straight...

Hello gents,

Today I decided to pull the trigger on my first straight. I have been shaving with a DE 34HD for just about a year now. I am very excited to give straight shaving a go. I bought the razor from www.madaspenhome.com. It is a DUBL DUCK - WONDEREDGE - 39/64 - 1/4 HOLLOW. This was a NOS with custom Abalone LVS scales. I think it is stunning. Here are some pictures I pulled from the site to drool at until it arrives in a week or so...
View attachment 134043

View attachment 134045

View attachment 134044

View attachment 134046

For a strop I bought a Walkin' Horse Bridle Strop: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Walkin-Horse-Bridle-Strop-Chestnut_p_699.html So what do you guys think? Am I off to a good start. I know I could have went with a less expensive straight but I have been looking at this type for awhile and when I saw another one for sale I couldn't hold back anymore.

Please let me know what you think and any little tips you might have for a new straight guy. Thank you.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I hope you like it, it probably cost you a bit for that straight alone... Yes, that sounds right, I would recommend starting with a cheaper option but no, you got the right tools. The only thing, I would recommend buying a cheaper strop to start with as you will nick that strop, guaranteed...

Legion

Staff member
Wow. I love these "first straights" some of you guys are getting. I'm glad this is not a car forum. I'd be seeing "Hi, I just got my licence so I decided to buy my first car. It's called a Ferrari and it is red. Do you guys think I did OK?" :lol:

Very nice razor.

Wow. I love these "first straights" some of you guys are getting. I'm glad this is not a car forum. I'd be seeing "Hi, I just got my licence so I decided to buy my first car. It's called a Ferrari and it is red. Do you guys think I did OK?" :lol:

Very nice razor.
:lol::lol::lol:

Might as well fly First Class!:thumbup:

My thoughts exactly.

Very nice razor.

I found an all to easy way to justify the purchase. "Well this thing is going to last forever" and "If I don't like it I can always sell if for not a lot of loss, right?" This is how I made my wallet open up. :thumbup: I held off for as long as I could.

great set up there, like luc said watch that new strop. Not saying that you will nick it up but probably a good chance. I was able to sand up my first strop and it is still functionally fine but not so pretty anymore.

Ian

Lord almighty that's a nice first razor! :w00t:

I personally would get a cheaper strop at first since most, if not all, of us nick our first strop. Then again, I guess you have the money to spare, so go ahead and get the one you have in the link :tongue_sm

I hope you like it, it probably cost you a bit for that straight alone... Yes, that sounds right, I would recommend starting with a cheaper option but no, you got the right tools. The only thing, I would recommend buying a cheaper strop to start with as you will nick that strop, guaranteed...

Well looks like you guys have a point, I will no doubt mess up my first strop (no clue what I am doing) While I have already ordered the one in this post I am also now going to order a Poor Man Strop Kit from whipped dog. This way if I mess I up at least is only $20. So thank you guys for the suggestion, it did not fall on deaf ears.

I just can't wait until all of this stuff arrives. Now if I can get my AD's under control I will be all set :tongue_sm.

What is your set up with brush and soap / cream?

Well I have a Rooney small silvertip, 2009 B&B LE, 2006 B&B LE, and a Vulfix (first brush I bought).

I use TOBS creams Avocado and Lavender. I also have a few soaps I have not tried yet: Classic Shaving Almond and Bay Rum. A few of Mama Bears, and today I ordered MWF and Tabac. I think in the morning I might try one of the Mama Bears.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well I have a Rooney small silvertip, 2009 B&B LE, 2006 B&B LE, and a Vulfix (first brush I bought).

I use TOBS creams Avocado and Lavender. I also have a few soaps I have not tried yet: Classic Shaving Almond and Bay Rum. A few of Mama Bears, and today I ordered MWF and Tabac. I think in the morning I might try one of the Mama Bears.

The Classic doesn't get a lot of love around here. It can be difficult to get a good lather with. Plenty of other good choices there, and if you are a cream guy, I'm sure you'll get on well with the Tabac.

Top Bottom