What's new

My first straight razor

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I just got my first straight razor and I have some questions about it. I came across this one while looking around the bay for something to start with. (obviously) I was looking for something cheap and decent looking, and bought this one for 18$. The seller said that he doesn't know anything about straight razors and he thinks that the razor is vintage and made in Germany, but the writings doesn't look like german to me.

So my question is. what can you tell me about this razor from the pictures? Does the spine, edge and the other things in ''good'' shape or not? Or what can you tell me about the brand. All in all I what to know if it's a score or junk.

View attachment 920577 View attachment 920578 View attachment 920579 View attachment 920580 View attachment 920581

I have had a couple of those. Maybe Russian, not sure. They hone up fine and are decent shavers. You got a decent razor, yeah. Get it honed, use it, don't let it rust. Get a proper strop. A leather hanging strop that is actually made by someone who shaves with a straight razor, not something just made to be sold by uncaring and unknowing "craftsmen". In other words, a "real" strop. But don't spend the money for a premium strop since the chances that you will damage it while learning are quite high. Upgrade later.

I always recommend wannabe straight shavers to start with a shave ready razor, then learn to shave with it, and only THEN try to learn to hone. The reasons should be obvious. Some guys do it backwards and some succeed, typically after a frustrating and confusing beginning. Some don't. See The Newbie Honing Compendium, AKA "The Method". The main thing to read at this stage is how to maintain the shave ready edge (when you get it back from the honemeister of your choice) in shave ready condition using lapped and pasted balsa. And how to recognize a shave ready edge when you see one, or at least determine whether or not it is sharp enough to do the job. No, don't shave your forearm. That is how you test a pocketknife, and proves little with a razor.

A second and a third or whatever razor is a fine idea. Good to have something to reach for when your main razor gets dull. (Doesn't have to ever get dull, read the balsa thread.) You can send one out for honing and still have a shaver. And it is just nice to have a rotation, though certainly not necessary. Certainly there are more frivolous things to spend your money on than a few inexpensive vintage razors.

In addition to a hanging strop you will of course need a decent shaving brush, and a mug or bowl which can be repurposed from the kitchen. Most newbies start with a boar brush simply because it is cheaper. I suggest spending a bit more for a medium to large size silverttip badger brush, which CAN be expensive but doesn't have to be. Virginia Sheng is one Chinese maker or decent brushes, with an extensive representation on fleabay. Some, or I should say many, cheap brushes are crap. VS are okay and a good value for the coin. Larry at www.whippeddog.com is another good source for decent and inexpensive badgers. I prefer a 30mm brush but anything 26mm or bigger is fine.

Then you will need a decent soap or cream. Don't use canned goo. Use proper cream or shave soap. If there is an Indian or Middle Eastern shop around, look for Godrej Rich Lather, in the red tube. GREAT cream, and cheap. Other formulas from Godrej are okay too, but the red tube is best.

Do your homework before you try to shave with your new toy. You got a lot of reading and a lot of youtube watching to do. Meanwhile work on your lathermaking skills. Get your prep down pat and even your current shave method will be better. Good prep is extremely important for a successful straight shave.

The blade is made in Russia in 1962. The quality of the steel up until the ‘60 was very good according to my research. It is called Stolichnaya and made in a factory named after Stalin. Their celluloid scales are of high quality and are a bit harder. This info about the scales is from bobsrazors.com. It is a great razor to start with. Happy shaves.

Top Bottom