What's new

My first Simpson - the Commodore X3

After a couple of months with my Tweezerman, I wanted to upgrade my brush. I went through lots of threads and reviews, got confused even more and eventually decided to start with a Simpsons. Specifically narrowed down to either a Duke or the Commodore. A search again and I find this wonderful thread to make my life a bit easier. Ordered the X3 in best badger from WCS as soon as it was back in stock and I was in business.

Here are some pics...

New :

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
There was no serious badger funk at all. I got some after I rinsed the brush for the first time, so gave the method described here a shot.

Rinse with Dawn. Let it sit for an hour or so.
full

Lathered with my most cologne like smelling cream - Dettol cool. I added some extra cream - mistake. This brush lathers way way more than the Tweezerman. You can't see it here, but the bowl is 3/4th's full.
full

6 hours later, all badger funk gone. Post bloom pics. The brush is still wet.
full

full

Comparision with the Tweezerman for those wanting to make the switch :biggrin1:

full

full

It's a beauty, Pradeep! The Commodore is a great brush. Please follow up on how the first lathers go.
Thanks. Will follow up.

I would have lathered up right now (though I don't need a shave) but for the SWMBO who is cross as I spent most of the Sunday de-funking and ogling at the Commodore.

I think that's a wise choice. :thumbup1:
:biggrin1:
Excellent brush indeed! :thumbup1: And thanks for all those great photos, mate! :001_smile
A fine brush! Congrats on the major upgrade.
Thanks both.
The X-3 is a superb brush. You will love it!
Thanks for the face off between the Duke and X3 you and zumpkof did.

Just had my first lathering/shave. Wonderful experience. I will draw and post my conclusions after a few shaves.

My 3-band X3 is my favorite brush. My vintage X3 with 2-band super is up there and I also own the 2-band Duke 3 in that review and it is in regular rotation in my den. Great choice!!!

My 3-band X3 is my favorite brush. My vintage X3 with 2-band super is up there and I also own the 2-band Duke 3 in that review and it is in regular rotation in my den. Great choice!!!

I know that the Commodore is produced only in Best not Super. On the other hand Commodore is a good brush for bowl. Too bad that they changed its Somerset era shape.

I know that the Commodore is produced only in Best not Super. On the other hand Commodore is a good brush for bowl. Too bad that they changed its Somerset era shape.

You're correct unless you take your vintage Commodore X3 that had a tired knot that really didn't do much any more and had it rebristled with a 2-band super knot. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The first photo is the vintage X3 with the new knot and the bottom photo has me X3 with the 3-band knot next to the vintage X3 with the original knot.

Interesting Bob, how was the performance on the old brush before you had it re-knotted? Was it originally yours, and do you have an idea how much it had been used?

Cheers

Nice brush, sir. I always think white handle and two band hair are great couple.:thumbup1:

Me too! Thanks! :thumbup:

Interesting Bob, how was the performance on the old brush before you had it re-knotted? Was it originally yours, and do you have an idea how much it had been used?

Cheers

The performance was not what I'm used to with a Simpson brush. It didn't lather well and didn't hold the lather either. I tried the cleaning methods on here multiple times to no effect. I had a similar experience with a butterscotch AS2M and a new knot breathed new life into it.

It wasn't originally mine and when Gary Young saw the pictures of it he guessed it was manufactured in the 1960s.

Top Bottom