What's new

My first Schick Injector shave

I recently acquired a Schick Injector type I1, chrome head w/ black handle, which I understand are not that common hence hard(er) to find. I cleaned it and it is very nice and shinny, in excellent condition.

I had my first shave with it this morning using a fresh Personna blade. The shave was very smooth, I didn't feel a thing in terms of pulling, drag, etc. However, I think it is a very mild razor, I feel it's even milder than a Tech. I didn't get that close of a shave. I can't go ATG because my skin can't take it, no matter what cream or razor I use. I usually do a WTG pass followed by another light XTG pass in both directions. I got very good results in the past, very close shave using for example a Slim on 6. I think my skin can take fewer passes with a more aggressive razor much better than multiple passes with a mild razor.

I followed the instructions from the box which said to hold the head almost flat against my face.

Is this a technique issue or is the general consensus that the Injector is a mild (but smooth) razor? And does the aggressiveness vary across the Injector types, e.g. I1 vs N1?

Thank you very much for your help with my very basic questions.

I'm just now starting with a newly acquired J type - I assume the heads are pretty much the same on them, cut wise. Anyway, I'm still working on getting the angle right. Like you, the first try was unimpressive but I know it's b/c of needing to find the right hold on it.

I hadn't gotten any particular advice on using these, but just looking at them, I figured that the way the blade met the face would be similar to SE razors. I held them at a slight angle and was rewarded with very close shaves. I do an ATG pass, but was getting very good results even with the first WTG pass. I could hear the sound of stubble being mowed down, but it was a very comfortable shave.

I was rotating between 3 injectors, a G type, I type, and L type. Although there is visibly more blade exposure on the G than the I, which exposes more than the L, I didn't actually feel much difference.

This was for a total of 14 shaves between the 3 razors. I hope you'll get some advice from someone who's used them for years. I'll definitely return to them, but for now I want to finish trying the other razors which I've bought but haven't used yet.

I have a type "E" which looks like [thread=123190]this.[/thread] It's the only injector I have so I can't say based on my experience how it compares to other injectors, but I have read other members' posts that the older injectors like the "E" shave a bit more aggressively than the newer ones. I like mine a lot and have been able to get DFS with it.

Good luck,

jim

I use a E as well. SE tend to have the same need for technique. Adjust the angle until it is so loud you can hear the whiskers being mowed down. My DE's have been gathering dust since I found SE's they are about as close to a str8 in angle you can come

OK, I'll try going against the advice from the enclosed instructions (to hold the razor almost flat to the face) and add some angle and see how that goes.

But the Personna blades should be OK, right? It's not a matter of blades but rather technique.

Yes. An indication that they weren't o.k. would be pulling or pain. Outside of rusty old blades, I'm not aware of any truly bad injector blades out there.

- Chris

...I have read other members' posts that the older injectors like the "E" shave a bit more aggressively than the newer ones.

I'll second that. Just tested both my old G5 head (on new handle) and the J on almost 3 days worth of growth, both with new CVS blades. Without a doubt the G is considerably more aggressive, doing in 1 pass what it took the J two or three to get.

I settled in long ago with the N-type. It's lightweight and easy to maneuver, well balanced and mild, but like any other shaver can bite if you lose interest. Matched with a good blade -- and there are bad injector blades -- it shaves like a dream.

Ron

Use very light to no pressure and vary the angle until it "feels" right. You'll also get a nice sound as feedback as the razor mows down your stubble at the right angle. Schick injectors are great razors once you get that down.

OK, I'll try going against the advice from the enclosed instructions (to hold the razor almost flat to the face) and add some angle and see how that goes.

Also, I found that the handle of the J needs to be held higher, or more horizontally, than you might be used to with a DE...the "face" of the head, just above the blade, does seem designed to be in contact with the face in order to get the blade to bite. This is not needed with the older one, though, which bit just fine with the handle held lower and (imo) more naturally and comfortably. Trying the J was worth a shot but I'll opt for the antique from now on (what am I saying, both are practically antiques).

Them old Es and Gs are on eeeebay all the time, cheap - it might be worth you trying one out.

Last edited:
Oh, and I'm now quite BBS with no mangling, thank you very much! :) Going just by the feel of the blade, it really strongly reminds me of the bite of a Red Tip, and cuts about as well. Miss that Red Tip grip, though.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
With practice, a Schick injector can shave like nobodys business.
At the correct angle, it'll take off every bit of hair you have, and if your not careful, a fair amount of underlying tissue!
As far as the instructions - meh. Do what works best.
The Schick is probably the easiest razor EVER at getting that pesky hair on the upper lip under the nose due to it's extremely small head profile.

But the Personna blades should be OK, right? It's not a matter of blades but rather technique.
I've had a PM exchange with an injector expert on another shaving site who said that new (Chinese) Schicks, NOS Schicks, or Personna 74's make a significant difference. Even customer ratings on Amazon, where both Schicks and Personnas are available, favor the the Schicks. In a word, the Personnas are OK, but the Schicks are better.

I haven't tried the Schicks or NOS Personna 74's, because they sell for 3-4 times the Meijer/ASR (Personna) blades I've been using. The shaves have gone fairly easily and quickly, but not as close or as smooth as some of my favorite DE blades in a Gillette adjustable, and those DE blades sell for half the price of Meijer/ASR injectors.

As always with blades, YMMV.

Don't know if the sale is still on but Walgreens (I think it was) last week had a buy one, get one 1/2 off sale on all blades.

Also, can anyone here comment on the Pal injector, how it compares cut-wise to a comparable era Schick? Nice looking razor, that.

Congrats on your new Injector! Some time spent carefully experimenting with the angle will net you a closer shave, but I do agree that these "type I" Injectors are on the mild side.

The Schick is probably the easiest razor EVER at getting that pesky hair on the upper lip under the nose due to it's extremely small head profile.

This is the reason I have been a big fan of the Gillette Sensor regular blade, not the Sensor Excel rubber fins blade. However, I noticed that multi-blade positive comments such as mine are not well received around here, so I apologize in advance.

And the same reason why the Injector really appealed to me, the small head profile. I hope I get better results with a different angle, otherwise this will not be the razor for me.

However, I noticed that multi-blade positive comments such as mine are not well received around here, so I apologize in advance.

Pshaw--at worst, you'd get a gentle ribbing from some. B&B is all about what works for you. :wink2:

And the same reason why the Injector really appealed to me, the small head profile. I hope I get better results with a different angle, otherwise this will not be the razor for me.

I suspect you will get better results with a different angle. Should you decide to ditch that beautiful "type I" though, send me a PM. :001_cool:

Top Bottom