What's new

My first month with a Feather AS-D2

You say the razor is mild.

Do you mean mild like the EJ DE89 or the Merkur 34c? both of which i love.

Or mild like the Feather Popular that i found boringly mild and gave away after a few lousy shaves?
I'm going to assume EJ 89 smooth from what I've gathered.

Finally pulled the trigger and got one after obsessing and "stalking" this razor on the net. After using it for a little over a month, I am very happy with the purchase. Some observations:

Using a Feather blade with this razor one quickly sees how this is a natural pairing. However, I had to adjust to the blade angle required with this razor, so I actually did get a few weepers despite this being a mild razor. The Feather blade even in this razor has to be respected.

I've tried Personna Super Blues (Labs) and they perform incredibly in this razor. Perhaps the best I've used so far. As mentioned, I went through a learning curve with the Feather blade so I'll have to go back and give them a try now that I've dialed in the proper blade angle.

Gillette Silver Blues are almost as good as the Personna's in this razor and will definitely be in the rotation. One blade which was especially good in this razor was Kai. They are exceptionally sharp and I find them a bit smoother than Feather's not as much harshness on my skin.

Up this week, I'm trying a vintage Gillette Platinum Plus blade. These have always worked well in my Super Speeds and my Tech. Looking forward to a good couple of weeks of shaving because these blades usually last me two weeks at least.

Overall, the AS-D2 is a great razor for me, it performs a bit better than my former favorite, the '51 Tech. My thanks to all the new niche makers of stainless steel razors who have created competition with the AS-D2 and thereby lowered the price enough for me to pull the trigger.;) I may show my appreciation some day by buying one of theirs.

I now have 18 DE razors and I have to say the ASD2 is still my go-to favorite.

The Feather has never failed me. I have used only Feather blades with it and have found it to be a sure thing, regardless of the amount of stubble.

However, I do love my vintage razors (with the exception of the adjustables, with which I am still learning). I could NEVER go back to the carts - they just do not leave my face feeling as refreshed after the shave.

I can feel a difference (in some instances a very sligh difference) with all of the razors. The ASD2 definitely provides a different shave. It is so smooth - a great piece of design and quality.

I continue to search for other vintage razors but have no desire to pick up another modern ss razor. I love the Feather but I also love using something that is my age and in some instances a few decades older.

Glad I have both...

I thought you might have an interest in my experiment this morning. I used my AS-D2,a new, but corked Feather blade for the right side and a Mach 3 with a several times used cartridge for the left. CF pre-shave lotion, and CF lime cream. The right shaved smoother with less tugging so I thought I had found the solution.
30 minuets later I am getting a burn on my right, lower, cheek(my usual trouble spot). I think I am going to have to throw in the towel with de razors and blades. I must be one of the odd people who gets more comfortable shaves from cartridges.
Best luck,
Ron

Hang in there. If all else fails, try a Gillette Tech. It's been my go-to razor whenever I've had a rough week of shaving with my other razors. If I anticipate a week where I need to shave quick and can't be bothered with burn or weepers, I load the Tech with a Personna Lab or Gillette Silver Blue and rock all week. It is nearly impossible to get a bad shave with a Tech, and my technique is far from perfect.

Good Luck!

You say the razor is mild.
Do you mean mild like the EJ DE89 or the Merkur 34c? both of which i love...
Not even close. In my opinion, EJ DE89 and Merkur 34c are medium aggressive, with 34C being more aggressive than EJ DE89, and EJ DE89 being on the mild side.

..Or mild like the Feather Popular that i found boringly mild and gave away after a few lousy shaves?
This. Close enough to a Popular.

I've been trying to relearn DE shaving for about 5 years now. Seems like long enough to work the bugs out, huh ?

Out of curiosity, what DE's are you using? Do you have one that seems to be better than the others? The only reason I ask is, I own several razors that people swear are the best razors ever made and they simply don't work for me. For example, I have tried my Fatboy many times over the years. I hate it an it hates me. But the Slim works great for me. You'd think the Fatboy and Slim would be about the same but they aren't. Not even close. The Fatboy irritates my skin where the Slim doesn't.

-Mc

Not even close. In my opinion, EJ DE89 and Merkur 34c are medium aggressive, with 34C being more aggressive than EJ DE89, and EJ DE89 being on the mild side.

This. Close enough to a Popular.

The 34c is clearly milder than the DE89 in my estimation. I think it may be impossible to draw blood with the 34c. Not so the DE89. Anyway i love both razors but not the Feather Popular which leaves me feeling like i need a proper shave. If the stainless Feather is similar, it is not for me. Shame, it is an attractive piece and i love Japanese products and have long since wanted a stainless razor.

The 34c is clearly milder than the DE89 in my estimation. I think it may be impossible to draw blood with the 34c. Not so the DE89. Anyway i love both razors but not the Feather Popular which leaves me feeling like i need a proper shave. If the stainless Feather is similar, it is not for me. Shame, it is an attractive piece and i love Japanese products and have long since wanted a stainless razor.
I agree!! The Merkur 34C is milder than the EJ 89.

Top Bottom