What's new

My First Major Pipe Disaster

I pulled my 2019 B&B BL LE Franc Morta from my pipe cabinet a few minutes ago to fill it with some Persian Slipper. It looked a bit "off". I discovered a crack in the left side of the bowl from top, nearly to the bottom, all the way through the side of the bowl.
It's been a week or so since I last smoked it and I don't remember the crack being there when I cleaned it after that smoke, although I could have missed it. I have to say I'm a bit surprised and disappointed. I've probably smoked it 25 times or less.
Just now, I very slightly pulled at the top of the bowl, and the whole front fell off; it was cracked clear around. I have not dropped or knowingly abused this pipe, but obviously something went terribly wrong!
Have any of you seen this happen in a similar pipe?
proxy.php

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
That cracked with the grain. Unless you dropped it or hammered on it, you had nothing to do with it. That looks like a bad blank to me, or perhaps a tight boring that opened up a weak one. A few thermal cycles is enough to split them wide open, especially on a new one.

Sorry for your loss. Perhaps the pipemaker will make good on it.

Good news! I corresponded with Dustin, sent him pictures, and he agrees with your assessment that it was a bad block with hidden flaws. He is making me a replacement to be stamped as the original. His customer service is impeccable. I'm reserving a spot in the pipe cabinet for #10.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Good news! I corresponded with Dustin, sent him pictures, and he agrees with your assessment that it was a bad block with hidden flaws. He is making me a replacement to be stamped as the original. His customer service is impeccable. I'm reserving a spot in the pipe cabinet for #10.

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Impeccable is the word. I hope that his "stand up attitude" gains him MUCH new business.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is one reason why I wish we would stop making LE pipes out of morta. It is lovely and all, but when they fail they fail big. You don’t see this happen with briar or olive.

This is one reason why I wish we would stop making LE pipes out of morta. It is lovely and all, but when they fail they fail big. You don’t see this happen with briar or olive.
I saw they’ve done morta before too. Have they done a meerschaum? Or is that next year? Hhaha

That’s great news friend! I’m happy for you. Pipe smokers are the best kind of people.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I recently had a Rattray Morta pipe develop a longitudinal crack through the bowl and extending into the stem, but it did not separate into two pieces. I had maybe smoked it a dozen times and had not mistreated it. Smoking Pipes gave me full store credit for it even though I had had it just over a year.

Top Bottom