What's new

My first Japanese stone

HAD has hit me. I have a nice new set of Naniwas on their way to me and I just pushed the button on this:

Special natural Tomae very hard stone from Kyoto Hon Yama, hand-selected by Murray Carter. Best for razor sharpening.
GRIT: Approx. 30,000~ 40,000
DIMENSIONS: 5.4 X 3.2 X 0.8 inches
WEIGHT: 1.25 lbs.

I bought it as Murray seems to know a thing or two about sharpness and because it was inexpensive. So how did I do? Any opinions/experiences relating to Murray Carter's stones? What sort of finish should I expect in comparison to my coticule?

Honyama Awase To are supposed excellent hones. Having never used one, I can't comment from personal experience. You'll have to tell us about it as you get to know it and learn how to get the most out of it.

And so it begins... :thumbup: Enjoy the J-HAD.

Last edited:
I did not even know Carter sells nat stones.
You can be sure if the stone is listed as good for razor then it is.

Yeah, I have seen Carters vids and subscribed on his site for some free spam and was surprised when I saw the email come through about his new stones for sale. The thing that surprised me the most and I guess also worried me was how cheap they were.

It's certainly a lot cheaper option of getting a very fine finishing stone as opposed to a Shapton 30k

But the ratings would be different between these wouldn't they? Guess I have something new to start researching now...

Yeah, I have seen Carters vids and subscribed on his site for some free spam and was surprised when I saw the email come through about his new stones for sale. The thing that surprised me the most and I guess also worried me was how cheap they were.

But the ratings would be different between these wouldn't they? Guess I have something new to start researching now...

The rating might be different but regardless, both will be very fine (grit) finishing stones. I think that the Shapton ends up being around $500 posted to Oz.

you do not have to pay a ton to get a good stone.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'd be curious to hear your impressions on the stone!

Okay so I got my stone today in the mail and a couple of Nagura's from a different source. DO I need to lacquer this stone before use? I have tried searching on here but couldn't find anything. Any help appreciated.

From what I understand in Japan the stones are left outside and if they are not lacquered , they can split along hairline cracks in the stones due to temperature variations. I like to be on the safe side so I lacquer all my stones, I use shelac and it works fine, but really any lacquer will do.

Thanks mainaman, I will stop by the hardware store soon.
Last night I took the Dovo 5/8 that I had recently finished on my coticule (great finish btw) and ran it over this jnat. It feels smoother to touch than my coticule and gives less feedback than it too - its almost like honing on glass when using just water. I shaved with it this morning and found that the edge was smoother but not as sharp in comparison. No nicks whatsoever but the shave was not as close - pretty sure dulled the edge rather than improving it.
I think I am going to put this jnat aside until I can find a good source of info on how to get the most out of it and the two naguras.

Could you explain?
when you use a fast stone this way you are going to ruin your edge, as in overhone it. For fast stone you go light slurry with dilution and finish on water. Very very fast stones only a few passes on water.
All that assuming your edge is very very close to its maximum.

Very fast stones are rare so for majority of stones, Jim's method works just fine.

Would these replace the honzan slurry stone? Why not just use a diamond plate to raise a slurry on your finisher instead if honzan?

Though it may be fun to play with various naguras on one stone to take a razor from bevel setting to finishing, I can't imagine it being faster than a dilucot with a coti (though I say this with no basis as having not used naguras - just seems with all the rinsing and changing nagura that it would take more time).

May have to give it a try sometime in the future, but first want to see how good my JNat is at just finishing first. Was just planning on using a diamond plate to raise a slurry though and hope this works.

Top Bottom