What's new

My First Coffee Roast with a Nesco

After trying half a dozen roasters across the country, and not really enjoying any of their roasts, I decided to dive in and try roasting coffee at home. Living in an apartment, I was worried about the smoke that roasting can generate. I decided against a fancy, expensive roaster, just in case it turned out not to be practical to roast at home. These considerations led me to get the Nesco roaster, with its built-in smoke reducer. For me, the major downside of this roaster, aside from the lack of advanced features, is the small capacity of 5 ounces for lighter roasts and 4 ounces for darker roasts, which means I'll be using it 3 or 4 times a week. To be honest, I'd be ecstatic if I really end up using it 3 times a week, since I'm not really expecting this to be a rousing success. I bought the Nesco from Sweet Maria's along with their 8 pound green coffee sampler. (Along with a few other coffee toys--I just couldn't resist.)

I washed out the removable parts of the machine as directed in the instructions--yes, I read the instruction manual... Well... a couple of pages, anyway. Sweet Maria's always includes helpful tip sheets with their products. For the Nesco roaster, there were tips on how to get the best use of the roaster. Things like fill it right to the line, no more or less, and how to figure the roasting time. The best part of the tip sheet was the section on what to expect. After waiting seemingly forever for the cover to dry (and helping it along by pulling a towel through), I got down to business.

My preference is for light roasts, American coffees, and filtered drip, although I also do other coffees, typically in a press or stove top espresso. For my first roast, I decided to be just a little adventurous--as if a first attempt at roasting at home isn't already cracked up to be an adventure--us newbies hear so much about thick smoke and heavy aromas--so I went with the Rwanda Gkongoro Nyarusiza. As a compromise, I decided to set the roaster two minutes higher than the minimum time, or for 22 minutes.

In my excitement, I forgot to weight the beans, so I can only guess by comparing the weight of the bag against the full bags. It looks like about 140 grams, which is the expected 5 ounce capacity for light roasting. So I reassembled the machine, plugged it in, dumped the beans in up to the fill line, pressed the up arrow twice to get to 22 minutes, and pressed the start button.

After 2 minutes, no visible change
proxy.php

3 minutes in, not much happening, just the turn of the screw
proxy.php

6 minutes in, the beans have become pale and tan, and start to smell like hay
proxy.php

8 minutes in, and the beans are starting to lightly brown
proxy.php

10 minutes -- starting to crack
proxy.php

11 minutes -- watch them expand and fill up the container
proxy.php

12 minutes -- they're still cracking up
proxy.php

13 minutes -- you can see the chaff and how dark they're getting
proxy.php

They cracked a second time and grew even more
proxy.php

The machine goes into a fast spin cooling cycle for the last 5 minutes
proxy.php

20 minutes in, spinning fast and cooling off
proxy.php

done -- note they go way above the fill line
proxy.php

Here they are resting up
proxy.php

Now that the beans were cooling off, I was able to leave the immdiate vicinity and copy the pictures to the computer. The house smelled like something was roasted heavily, but not near to burning. I'm gonna need a window fan or two if I expect to do this three times a week.

Well, I couldn't wait anymore, so 45 minutes after roasting the coffee, I went to brew it. Decided to go with a press pot. Measuring out 1/3 cup, I was happy to find it weighed exactly the expected 1 oz.
proxy.php

1 oz of coffee goes well with about 20 oz of water.
Once I poured the water on, I discovered one reason you want to wait after roasting before you brew the beans. Unlike beer, coffee is not supposed to have a head.
proxy.php

A little stir with a spoon and all is well.
proxy.php

But, the head did come back a couple times, so a little more stirring was in order
proxy.php

4 minutes later...
proxy.php

And not daring to take my first roast black...
proxy.php

Hey! That's not bad. Not very good, but not bad at all. A little weak and dry. It could probably use a little more carmelization--a few more minutes. The final weight of coffee (which I remembered to weight this time) was 112 grams or 4 ounces. Given a starting weight of 140 grams (5 ounces), this is a yield of 80%. Put another way, a pound of green beans should yield 12.8 ounces of roasted coffee. Of course, this probably varies by a lot of things I'm as yet unaware.

In my recent attempts to find a consistent roaster that I really like, I've had beans that were over-roasted, under-roasted, old & dried out, oily, or just not to my liking. This first attempt was definitely under-roasted, and the beans would not be my first choice. In comparison, I'd say my first roast was below average at best. To be fair, I'm rather particular. But aren't we all? I mean all of us that would consider roasting at home? I like lighter roasts than is typical, and prefer a limited and perhaps odd selection of beans. Heck, some of the best coffee I've had in the past has been from the much maligned Brazil. The roasts I've been trying recently have been from the most frequently recommended roasters on B&B. To produce a half decent cup at that level on a first attempt is quite encouraging.

In case anyone's curious about the Nesco, there was no smoke whatsoever, and the roasting aroma was mild, not overpowering. But that's what I was warned to expect at the lighter roasts. This was a 17 minute roast, followed by a 5 minute cool down. The Nexco is known for not being able to do really dark roasts, at least not consistently.

Last edited:
Congratulations Steve, give it a day or two rest for optimum results.

You may also want to try a few roasts before the second crack.

Congrats on your first roast! I've been using a Nesco for about 18 months now. I tend to go for a slightly darker roast (full line at 25min). I've been really looking at the Behmor 1600 as my next roaster.

Yes, and yes!

Depending on the bean, you may just want to try a lighter roast a few times. SMs has great recommendations for each bean they sell and you should try them.

Roaster looks great Steve.

I would not want to use my Behmor in the house. If I take a roast 10 seconds into 2nd crack the garage stinks for a day and Her Majesty would have me neutered for getting that smell in the house. If you can hardly smell that one after taking the beans that dark, you have a winner for sure.

I actually see a few advantages to a roaster with a small charge capability like that one. Apartment sized for starters, sometimes small batches are advantageous for "blending roasts" as opposed to "roasting blends" as most of us do, the price was probably right, etc.

As for the weights pre & post roast, I do anywhere from 290 - 325 gm batches, depending on what my target roast is and the ambient temps and I will generally end up with 240 - 260 gms of roasted beans. Darker the roast, the more weight you will lose so you are right around where mine ends up, considering the roast level.

Nice review, and great series of pictures to capture the roasting process from start to finish. :thumbup: I noticed the beans seemed to be higher and higher in the cylinder the longer the roast progressed, I guess this is because the beans are progressively drying out and are lighter and therefore rising higher in the airflow? Your roast looks pretty good and even, so the agitation must work well.

SNIP<<<< I noticed the beans seemed to be higher and higher in the cylinder the longer the roast progressed, I guess this is because the beans are progressively drying out and are lighter and therefore rising higher in the airflow? >>>>SNIP

Actually, the volume increases quite a bit during the roasting process, probably more than double. Check the first picture and then the last in the roaster where the beans are at rest.

You hear mention of the cracks (1st & 2nd), this is actually the bean opening.

Nice review, and great series of pictures to capture the roasting process from start to finish. :thumbup: I noticed the beans seemed to be higher and higher in the cylinder the longer the roast progressed, I guess this is because the beans are progressively drying out and are lighter and therefore rising higher in the airflow? Your roast looks pretty good and even, so the agitation must work well.
That's the beans actually growing in volume. In the first few pictures you can see the beans go up to the fill line. Now check the time on the LCD screen in the last picture of the beans still in the roaster. The machine's off by then.

It's hard to capture the size on camera because the 3D perspective doesn't come off quite right. Also, from a look at the beans it's hard to imagine how they really take up that much volume in the cylinder, but there it is. Mathematically, it only takes a 27% increase in length (and width and height) to double the volume. Here's the more direct evidence for what it's worth. I'd say that's at least 27% larger.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks. I'm willing to try and give it a rest, but both the flesh AND the spirit are weak in this case. Will definitely be playing with roasts, and your suggestions.

This congratulations is especially meaningful here because Jim's the one that tipped me over towards getting a roaster. He explained how much smoke and aroma I could expect with the lighter roasts I prefer and we talked about different roasters. That conversation's what made me think it might be practical in an apartment, albeit with certain limitations. Becoming steward of The Cafe' (and also going back to work after a long vacation) just gave the occasion for me to pick one up. Jim already sold me on the idea at the [thread=142648]May 1st-Straight Razor Honing With Robert Wiliams[/thread]. So a big thanks to Jim for enabling me... to... uhm... save money on coffee... Yeah! That's it!

And thanks for the other comments. I didn't realize S.M. has roasting comments on each blend. The bag just says City+ to Full City.

And, yes, that's a caffeine molecule. C8 (black) H10 (white) N4 (orange) O2 (red). Only wish it wasn't so wiggly.

Last edited:
Actually the head on the coffee as you brew it is a very good sign. Kind of like coffee gold. But yes you should let the beans degass for 24hrs or so before using. I have a Cafe gene and one of the things I like about it is the chaff collector allows me to attach a dryer vent which then goes right out the window even if the neighbors stare at the smoke. One day I expect the Fire dept to come rolling up.

It came into its own this morning after 1.5 days of rest. Unfortunately, it's the last pot worth. There was a metallic taste before this. Guess I'm going to be using this thing quite often. :001_smile

6 months and 25 pounds later, which is close to 100 batches...

So this thing's pretty small. 4 oz of coffee at a time, and I run out all the time. Ran it 3 times today. Will need to run it 4 more times to get through the weekend. And, yup! I'm drinking way too much fresh coffee without letting it rest for long. Sometimes it goes straight from the roaster into the grinder while still quite hot.

There's one small problem. There's a mechanism that prevents it from turning on when the cover's not closed tightly. Unfortunately, the plastic top is machined with less than precision, so it stopped turning on at all after a short few weeks. I solve this by putting a couple of heavy cookbooks on the top. The tighter fit reduced the small amount of chaff that would blow out of it when loose. There's still some that comes out, but it's not even the size of a coffee bean.

Otherwise, it seems to be functioning fine. It cleans up well in the dishwasher. The default timing's pretty much to my liking. It's 20 minutes, 15 hot plus 5 for cooling off. A typical bean might get through the second crack in the 13th minute, so it starts cooling off about an extra minute or two after that. Other beans get there sooner. I haven't paid too much attention to which is which.

I've gone as far as 23 minutes with a bean that hits the 2nd crack at 13 minutes, so that's a full 5 minutes beyond. It wasn't quite espresso at that point, but it tasted more roast than coffee. I've never seen even a whiff of smoke from the thing. The coffee isn't exactly gourmet, but it's better than average of what I was getting from a variety of roasters. Not bad for a small contraption in an apartment.

Last edited:
I think the mechanical agitation makes more sense. I have an Iroast II and that sucker is LOUD, sounds like a leaf blower. It's hard to hear the cracks.

Wow, with how much coffee you drink you will want to invest in something with a larger batch size. I do one 6oz batch and that lasts me a week.

It broke!

Seven months and 125 batches in, one of the fan blades broke off. It must have been hit by a bean.

The bad news is that Nesco / The Metal Ware Corporation said they'd honor the warranty. So much for the excuse to upgrade. I'll post again when it arrives to cover how they handled this.

That whole class of machines is not known for longevity. I have a Gene Cafe which I've had for several years now and I'm starting to have some issues with it too.

I read somewhere the expected life of a home roaster is about 18 months. I'm not sure where though. My Behmor is coming up on 2 years with no problems.

It came back today. Mailed Feb 11 for a 19 day turnaround including two way shipping. Too late to try it. I paid to ship it there, they paid to ship it back. No questions, RMA, or other hassle.

It came back today. Mailed Feb 11 for a 19 day turnaround including two way shipping. Too late to try it. I paid to ship it there, they paid to ship it back. No questions, RMA, or other hassle.

Glad to hear they support their product!

Top Bottom