What's new

My fathers pipes

I was at my parents today and as we sat there having coffee I pulled out the pipe I had brought along and started to fill it. My dad said "Oh, you are converting over to pipes now?". They both are cig smokers, and my dad used to dabble in pipe smoking on and off from his college days up till say... 25-30 years ago or so. I told him yeah, he was like "Well, heck... hold on... I don't need this taking up space anymore...". He goes into a drawer on the desk, starts digging way into the back of it, and starts pulling out his old pipes and putting them on the table for me.

The most interesting ones are 2 Dr Grabow Vikings, with several different bowls, all of which are in very usable condition with minimal cleaning and such, and a French made pipe with a meer lining. I can see the meer has a crack in it, but it's not actually missing pieces out of the lining, so not sure if that is salvageable or not. Then there is a vintage Medico briar, and an Italian made most likely basket pipe. Those two are also still in working order with minimal cleaning needed.

I already cleaned up the inside of the Vikings with some everclear and pipe cleaners and paper towels... then cleaned up the two bowls on the stems in the pic with some light reaming (not anywhere near down to wood, just enough to smooth out the bore), then some everclear on pipe cleaners and paper towels in the bowls. I was careful to not get the everclear on the rims, and cleaned those up best I could with saliva.

Over all, I'm pretty pumped to have those in my collection at this point, even if I never actually smoke them much (or at all).

$ok.jpeg

Last edited:
Those Vikings are sweet, especially with all the extra bowls! I bet those will smoke really well. Nice haul, and extra sweet that they came from your father!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Congrats! I started out with my father's old pipes. Great nostalgia value. I recognized some of them as gifts I had given him as a kid.

Those are some really nice looking pipes your Dad gave you. I remember how it felt when my Dad gave me my Grandfather's pipes he had been hoarding. Have fun and enjoy them.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My dad handed me down his pipes... only to take it back up with me and reclaim about half of them. :lol:
That is great- you and your father going down the path together. Don't sweat it- you will get the pipes back eventually and have good memories

I started with my Grandfather's pipes, and still from time to time pull one out of the rack and smoke it, when I think of him. Nice score, you'll cherish them for years to come.

I have definitely lucked out in the heirloom department,both with pipes and razors. I'm hoping this weekend to get some more time to work on cleaning up more of the Viking bowls.

That is great- you and your father going down the path together. Don't sweat it- you will get the pipes back eventually and have good memories

It's fine, I tend to like my own pipes better. It's just nice to have someone to actually smoke with on occasion. No one I know smokes a pipe except for me. I tried to get my future brother in law into it, but my sister vetoed that since she's going to force him to quit smoking altogether after they get married and have a kid.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's fine, I tend to like my own pipes better. It's just nice to have someone to actually smoke with on occasion. No one I know smokes a pipe except for me. I tried to get my future brother in law into it, but my sister vetoed that since she's going to force him to quit smoking altogether after they get married and have a kid.
I never understood people thinking they could change their spouse while married. Like I told my wife, I am what I am.

I never understood people thinking they could change their spouse while married. Like I told my wife, I am what I am.

Her excuse is that it's for their future baby's sake. My dad and I killed her for it... repeatedly. I have a feeling that he'll smoke his cigs right up to the day that the kid is born. The guy is beyond addicted to his cigs and works a very stressful job, so I don't see how he can quit easily.

He's also one of those people who are embarrassed and feels guilty about smoking. He even tries to hide it from his parents despite the fact that he's in his 30's. He used to sneak out to smoke a cig around my parents, but once he found out that I smoked pipes he's been more open about it with us. I think he's one of those people that would love to quit, but is already a slave to it. I guess he sees my sister making him quit once they have a kid as a good excuse to finally quit for good.

Top Bottom