What's new

My EJ Barley Chrome is Ruined!

Contact EJ directly and ask for a replacement FOC. Provide pics of handle too. Failing that try a Stainless steel bulldog handle - great weight and grip.

Go vintage. Go vintage. Go vintage. Go vintage. There is a reason that some of these razors have survived more than 100 years.
1. They were constructed out of the right materials.
2. Most were designed to give great shaves.
3. They were designed like a piece of art.
4. Nostalgia

Modern razors
1. Designed to shave well.
2. Designed to look good.
3. Poor construction materials, read about all the problems.
4. Not designed to last a long time, just mass produced, cheaply.
5. Some made of stainless steel, very pricey, buy if you can afford. I hear they shave well, but do not surpass the vintage in shave quality.

Conclusion: What fun is it to collect modern reproductions of antiques? Sure the modern razors look good, but they lack the "nostalgia" of the vintage razors.

That is very disappointing on the EJ. As mentioned above, there are plenty of other solid choices out there. Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses. I did some searching on the Weber last night and it does look like a great razor for the money, at least compared to most other stainless razors. That is a real possibility.

I still think that a good vintage razor would be nice.

One question: would it be a problem putting a stainless Weber handle on a brass vintage head, due to different metals? I really like the Weber Bulldog handle.

Thanks for all the responses. I did some searching on the Weber last night and it does look like a great razor for the money, at least compared to most other stainless razors. That is a real possibility.

I still think that a good vintage razor would be nice.

One question: would it be a problem putting a stainless Weber handle on a brass vintage head, due to different metals? I really like the Weber Bulldog handle.

It depends on the thread size, and base plate design, but in general you can swap handles to different 3 piece heads. There's a thread around here that goes into great depth on which handles fit which heads.

+1. You can buy a new stainless steel Weber for 70 bucks, and it will last forever. Shaves better than an EJ too.

+1.
Couldn't recommend a weber more.
When I started, it didn't take me long to notice their were different "tiers" of razors, like there are different grades of anything. I cut the crap and started searching for reviews on stainless razors. Weber kept popping up as a recommended option, and after reading up on them, I took the bait. Couldn't be more happy, and because it's stainless, will last virtually forever. They don't have that mass-produced feel to them and they are made right. They have heft and are solid. When you pick it up you can tell it's going to be good and reliable

Last edited:
Contact EJ directly and ask for a replacement FOC. Provide pics of handle too. Failing that try a Stainless steel bulldog handle - great weight and grip.

I will give contacting EJ a try. It would not hurt asking.

With the threads going on the head it is only a matter if time before it deteriorates to the point that even a stainless handle will not solve the problem.

Last edited:
I have a few Gillette adjustables, as well as a Futur and a couple of variations on the Merkur Progress. All great razors. Then I started reading about the issues with zamak, and realized there was a good chance that all my Merkurs would eventually fail somewhere down the line. I bit the bullet and got a Weber, which I received last week. I couldn't be happier. It's a great razor that will last a very, very long time.

What is the reasoning behind using this material anyway? I have an EJ and enjoy it. But at its price point why can't it be be brass? My razorock is cheaper and brass. Not as good a chrome job but the prettier one will rot eventually at $35 and the $20 one isn't quite as shiny but may last longer than I do. Guys correct me if I am wrong on razorock materials.

Why Zamak anyway? Lighter weight for better balance? Just curious. I enjoy both razors. And as has been mentioned numerous times buy vintage. You will be hard pressed to find better than a good Tech with a Feather blade shave. And all techs are the 3-piece that you are used to.

Bummer. Sorry for your loss. That's noble to support the current manufactiurers, but pick up 2-3 vintage Gillettes and give them a spin to see how you like them.

Not at all. Here is one of my favorite "frankenrazors," a Gillette NEW LC head with the Weber Bulldog handle:

$new.JPG

--Bob

Wow! That's pretty poor lifespan from a razor (200 shaves). I'm really glad I didn't get an EJ razor for my first one, I almost did before I decided to go vintage

Top Bottom