What's new

My continuing Straight Shaving Journey.

Didn't shave yesterday, worked from home and ran errands. Was kind of a bum and felt like it by this morning.

Fili 13 JMP, 20 passes suede, 60 Cordovan, K3
MWF - mug lathered
Whipped Dog Silvertip
CWS
Floid Blue AS.

N-S, S-N, nose->Ear and N-S neck.. Just your regular, boring, absolutely fantastic 3 pass BBS shave that I come to expect from this razor. 2 days growth blasted away and that wonderful clean feeling again... Was going to only do 2 passes but did the third as cleanup because it just was soooooo nice...

Last edited:
I do a third pass with mostly water and a couple of fingers full of lather. I stretch for this S/N pass from the top, shaving towards my stretching hand. Seems to get that last bit of whisker, but carefully. lol

All you need is a dmt, some film, and a fistfull of (gold) dollars.. :)

I have a bunch of razors that could use the fresh edge, a JNAT setup, and a norton 220/1k, plus a lapping stone. I'm just lacking the comfy space to work in, and the experience/practice at being successful honing. heh I have a bunch of GD's as well, but they are fresh from the factory and haven't had any fixing done to the shoulders and such. That work is I think over my current pay grade to try to do.

I would concur with the not trying a virgin gd first. You could probably try a refresh just on the jnat first.

Either that or get a couple pieces of film to finish on.. Lots of guys bevel set on stones/DMT and then finish/refresh on film

Your basic workday 2pass DFS

Jr Torrey 5/8 20 suede 60 cordovan K3
MWF mug/face lathered
Whipped dog silvertip
CWS
Floid blue AS

NS then SN. Comfortable and quick DFS with a nice Floid splash

My new aftershaves should get here. I'm really becoming a Floid princess...

So I managed to let the AD's go a bit to get some soap and aftershave.

One of those things I got was Queen Charlotte Vostok soap.

I do like Proraso green rather a lot, and I like a face freeze, so I thought I'd try this out.

Silver King 13/16 - 20 laps suede, 60 Cordovan, Kanayama #3
$tmp_20291-IMG_20150328_160104-550431419.jpg
Queen Charlotte "Vostok" soap. Bowl Lathered
Whipped Dog Silvertip
CVS
Alum
Captain's Choice Bay rum AS

A later afternoon shave before the theatre. N-S, S-N, Mouth-Ear and S-N and cleanup. BBS Throughout, although I got a bit aggressive on the right hand side and got a couple weepers, I did the alum block over whole face and this seemed ok

Soap was really good. This queen charlotte soap (a tallow base) loaded up almost sticky, but very easy, and lathered to a very nice smooth and slick lather like I'm used to from the Stroppe Shoppe SE or Tabac tallow based soaps.. It has a nice
zing to it and a heavily menthol smell.. Be a good one for when you have a cold. It had a good amount of face freeze to it
as well. A bit more than Proraso green but not as much as I had been led to expect from the reviews - although I certainly did notice it.. I liked it, but I do like the mentholated soaps.

Captains choice bay rum after. A nice lingering smell but probably not what I would normally pair with this soap.

W & B "Fine India Steel" 7/8 wedge. 25 suede, 60 cordovan, Kanayama #3
Arko - Mug and Face Lathered.
Whipped Dog Silvertip
CWS
RazoRock Baby Blue AS.

2 Passes, N-S, S-N with cleanup. Close, comfortable, nice.. I don't know why on earth I picked Arko, but I did. Very pleasant mug of later staying warm in my sink of hot water, and brushes up very smooth and slick on the face, with that little bit of cappadocia junk shop aroma to it.. It's sat in the mug long enough it no longer smells of a urinal.

My splash was RazoRock Baby Blue - Reccomended by Rat and a few others. I must admit I found it somewhat overpoweringly baby-powdery on what I thought was my first smell of it opening the bottle and having a sniff or two. Then I went to splash it on - nothing comes out? oh - there's a little plug in the bottle, so I have only been sniffing the aftermath, not the AS itself, get the plug out, put a nice amount on and splash.. My thoughts are it is pleasant, more than I initially thought it would be.. Lots of Citrusy smell in the splash! then fading to a gentle baby powdery smell after.. I don't think it'll replace Floid as my favorite (I'm still a serious Floid princess) but I'll see what I think after a few more goes with it.

Fili 13 JMP - 20 suede, 65 cordovan, Kanayama #3
Queen Charlotte Soaps Vostok - bowl lathered
Whipped dog silvertip
CVS
Captain's Choice Lime AS

2 passes, quick N-S, S-N with the Fili - as usual the Fili performs amazing for whatever I ask it to do.

While this Vostok is a face freezer, I'm actually really impressed with the quality of the soap! this lathers very well!

Gold Dollar 100 - bevel by McVeyMac, refinished by me, 5 um-> 3um -> 1um/paper film -> CROX -> FEOX, 30 suede 80 cordovan.
ARKO - mug/face lathered
CWS
Captain's Choice Bay Rum AS

A nice 2 pass workday shave. N-S, S-N very smooth on the newly re-finished GD - Comparable shave to yesterday's 2 passer on the Fili - so I'll call that shave ready :)

I then quickly this morning put up the PIF for this razor, which will go to a non-conusa newbie.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ave-Ready-for-a-new-straight-shaver-NON-CONUS

Hopefully McVeyMac can put his PIF up soon too! :)

So had to go to the dentist today and get knocked out. Bleah I hate recovering from that. and by mouth hurts.

Anyway, shave beforehand was a leisurely 3 passes with my J.R. Torrey, the first razor I ever put an edge on.

J.R. Torrey 5/8 20 suede, 60 cordovan, Kanayama #3
Tabac, Bowl Lathered
Whipped Dog Silvertip
CWS
Floid Blue

Nice 3 pass shave. N-S Nose-Ear N-S, then S-N. BBS. no irritation

I'm not a can of dentists, for sure. I don't blame them for the job they have to do, but that doesn't mean I can't hate it. lol

Shave #151 On the road on Friday...

Le Grelot Royal Canada - the Cupertino office razor... towel stropping in hotel
Proraso Green
Whipped dog silvertip
Not very CWS
Floid Blue
Nivea ASB

A very serviceable 2 pass shave in the hotel with this sometimes cantankerous to me razor.. No problems, felt good all day

I made a Filarmonica Shorty - it's going to be a gift for my daughter's boyfriend, but I had to check the edge I put on it.

Filarmonica 12 JMP - shorty recently done by me. DMT1200->5um->3um->1um/paper film, CROX, FEOX, 30 suede, 70 cordovan, K3
Stroppe Shoppe SE Rosemary Mint (OMG, I love this stuff!)
Whipped Dog Silvertip
CWS
RazoRock Baby Blue AS
Nivea ASB

N-S, S-N, then nose-ear and N-S neck, 3 passer.. Holy wow did I get this edge smooth. I had left a point on the fili
that's sharp, as the intended recipient likes a straight for beard sculpting.. I had intended to just dull the point slightly
and didn't.. I actually got my earlobe slightly when I started and didn't even feel it! only when I looked and noticed blood! I then stopped and stypticed it (not bad) and dulled the point slightly on the mirror.. better that way..
Other than that, amazingly good bbs shave, although this little blade takes longer and I have to rinse more often.

I kinda don't wanna give it away.. it's Cute! and it shaves like mad!

$IMG_20150503_141841.jpg
View attachment 568961

Awesome job on the shorty! It is sort of cute. I like the looks on it, all scaled back like that.

What's kinda neat is originally, as a 12, it looked like the 5/8 razor it is, but when I shorted it and the scales, unless you have something for perspective in the picture it almost looks like s 14...

Top Bottom