What's new

My amazing new brush from Japan

I'm very grateful to have a place where I can go on about this and people will get it.

My wife is Japanese, from Hiroshima. We visit there often, but I can't always make the trip. On those occasions my mother-in-law often sends me back a beautiful gift. She outdid herself with the one my wife just brought me.

For centuries Japan's most celebrated calligraphic brushes came from Kumano in Hiroshima Prefecture. Since fewer people are practicing calligraphy now, Kumano's master brushmakers are finding new ways to express their artistry. For instance, they're well known to top-level makeup and theater professionals the world over for their coveted makeup brushes. This is my new shaving brush.

I'm amazed because we don't hear a lot about quality brushes from Japan.

Since the company isn't used to the conventions of shaving brushes, they don't provide information we might consider relevant. Here's what I know. The composition is a mix of what is conventionally referred to in Japanese as "water badger" and synthetic. (There are different varieties of badger on every continent, and I think that when they say "water badger" it's the European badger, although that's also the dominant variety in China). I don't know the proportion, but I've now used it a few times, and it's blooming beautifully, so I suspect the ratio of badger is over half. Don't know what quality, but it's as soft as my finest silvertip. I measured the knot (roughly) at 23~ mm.

Handle length is 55 mm and the hair loft is 43 mm. One of these pictures gives the impression that the handle is two-toned, but it is a single, gorgeously grained block of hand-turned ebony. None of my pictures does it full justice. It feels great in the hand. An interesting feature of the brush is the bulb shape. Has anyone here ever seen a "divot" like that in the center? It turns out to have a function, more about that in a moment.

Performance: I was concerned that a company that makes calligraphy and professional makeup brushes would make a sort of perversely misguided interpretation of a shaving brush. But the moment I used it, it was clear that when they committed to making a brush with this function they studied the way others work. This turns out to be a MONSTER face latherer (my preference), possibly the best I've owned. That indent makes the difference. The thing is as dense as can be. So dense that it feels like all backbone. But the raised torus shape at the end of the bulb causes it to splay along that border, whereupon the shorter hairs at the center take over to continue aerating the soap surface. You don't have to apply much pressure to get a ton of substance. Unsurprisingly (to me) it hasn't lost a single hair, as many brushes do at the very beginning.

This is the web page for it, but it doesn't offer much of the sort of information those here would be interested in: http://tinyurl.com/ks4kbx3

Two notes on the page that came with it (Japanese) gave me pause. They essentially tell you to go easy on the soap loading. They're vague about what they mean but imply that you shouldn't whip the knot like an enraged brute. They also suggest that it should give you 1-2 years of good service, which seems like too short a period, but maybe they're just keeping expectations low. I'd love to keep using this brush for years.

Thanks for letting me share. DGI

$IMG_8601.jpg$IMG_8611.jpg$IMG_8607.jpg$IMG_8603.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this post.Interesting brush,I think the center recess is to relieve pressure,as horse hair knots form their own "hole" under pressure.As for the hair itself,it resembles the hair used on early American brushes like Culmak and Ever Ready.

Following. Nice brush!

I was in Japan a few months ago - I loved it. Wonderful people, culture, and food (for the most part - I will continue to pass on raw shrimp and sea urchin!).

Nice brush. I love that handle, and the centre indent on the top actually makes a lot of sense on a brush with a lot of backbone.

Enjoy!

it resembles the hair used on early American brushes like Culmak and Ever Ready.

I've been using brushes for a little over 40 years, and my first ones were my father's. This hair does resemble those. They were Made Rite if I recall, and they were good brushes, but the hair grade wasn't as good as this. This is a bit of a mystery because the knot composition is listed (Japanese) as "water badger, PBT (Polybutylene terephthalate)". The latter is a polymer I know is used in making fine fibers. But an hour after I've used, rinsed, and hung this brush to dry it doesn't feel like it has any synthetic fiber at all. The touch test says it's drying like quality badger. It continues to surprise.

What's the cost? I'm a little rusty on my Japanese. Is there an English version page?

There's no English, unfortunately. The exchange rate favors dollars at the moment, so it's a relative steal at around USD $95. And you can see that my mother in law had my name inscribed, which is about $10 extra.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice brush: may it give you many years of excellent service.

Not sure what "water badger" would be, and only the maker could tell us for certain. But there is a Japanese native badger: Meles anakuma. It looks much like European and Asian badger, which makes sense because they are the same genus. North American badger is a horse of a different color, and does not seem to be used for brushes.

I really like that handle. Kind of a bamboo shape. Being ebony it must have some weight to it. I like a brush with heft. Great brush!

Awesome looking brush, when I first heard make up brush I thought oh no, but sounds like they really did some research and the indent makes sense, the handle is simple but functional, enjoy.

Very nice to see. My wife is from a different part of Japan. I'd love it if my mother-in-law got me something like this! They actually live very close to Seki, the home of Feather.

Top Bottom