What's new

My 1918 Gillette travel brush. Should I restore?

I've been looking at my newly acquired brush and if the hair is original, it's in really good shape. It's flexible and only a couple hairs have come loose. I was thinking of replacing the hair but should I? Other than it smelling like a 93 year old wet dog (or wet horse, I think it is horse hair), it might be a fully functional brush. I haven't tried making lather with it yet but I'll give it a go.

Take a look at these closeups and let me know what you think. The base has a couple cracks which concerns me if I start trying to take the knot out. I have also never restored a brush before so this might not be the best one to start on. I do have a couple more brushes I also picked up which might make for good practice.

Attachments

• $DSC01375 (Custom).JPG
    $DSC01375 (Custom).JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 180
  • $DSC01376 (Custom).JPG
    $DSC01376 (Custom).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 181
  • $DSC01377 (Custom).JPG
    $DSC01377 (Custom).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 181
  • $DSC01378 (Custom).JPG
    $DSC01378 (Custom).JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 183
  • $DSC01379 (Custom).JPG
    $DSC01379 (Custom).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 181
I'm beginning to save original knots if I can, but I have a good number of brushes and don't need to use them all. You might get away with using that one, but it is one that I would keep for display. There looks like small cracks around the base of the knot which might be a problem area. Nice brush.

I agree with Trenton...those cracks look problematical. Pick up an inexpensive Rubberset or Ever-Ready handle and get some experience on those. You can always come back to this one later.

Looking closer at the pictures, I'm doubting if that brush was ever used...I'm pretty sure those are boar bristles, but I can't spot any split ends. To me that means that the brush is new or at least minimally used. And the fact that it still stinks contributes to that conclusion.

Here's a link to a Wiki article that will help you get rid of that funky pig smell and make the brush much more pleasurable to use:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/How_to_Break_in_a_Shaving_Brush

Looking closer at the pictures, I'm doubting if that brush was ever used...I'm pretty sure those are boar bristles, but I can't spot any split ends. To me that means that the brush is new or at least minimally used. And the fact that it still stinks contributes to that conclusion.

Here's a link to a Wiki article that will help you get rid of that funky pig smell and make the brush much more pleasurable to use:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/How_to_Break_in_a_Shaving_Brush

So are you saying that it's a new brush as in recently replaced or 1918 'new'?

So are you saying that it's a new brush as in recently replaced or 1918 'new'?
I'd say 1918 new...that doesn't look like a replacement knot. I don't find that unusual for shaving equipment designed and sold for travel. A lot of travel kits get purchased as gifts and end up stashed away in a closet or drawer for a few decades!

I used the brush for the first time yesterday. Other than the smell, it worked beautifully! It's stiff but I think it should be. (I'm used to my badger brush.) I left all the lather in the brush and let it dry to help with the smell. After it was dry I rinsed it and it smelled a little more like my soap. Tabac, of course. Smelling it today there was very little of the original musty animal smell. Overall it's a great little travel brush. I'm not going to do anything with it except use it!

Assuming it's boar, it should soften some over time as the tips of the bristles split (split ends can be a good thing!). And a couple more latherings with Tabac should take care of any residual pig funk. Congratulations on a nice vintage brush...may it give you many happy shaves!

Top Bottom