What's new

Musgo Real/ No Longer Available In the US?

I stopped by my local soap shop today to replenish my supply of Musgo Real aftershave balm. I was told that the brand was no longer being imported into the country. I wound up walking out with a bottle of Proraso balm instead. But boy what a bummer. I've been using Musgo Real for at least five or six years now. Has anyone else heard about this?

I see West Coast Shaving still has it with no reference to it being not available in the U.S., but the price is a lot higher than the last time I bought some.

It would be hard to belive that Musgo would stop to be imported to USA. United States are the main market of that product, and the manufacturer targets that specific market. It is actually sold in Portugal at the same price it is sold in States.

From what we listen in Portugal the Claus Porto intented to open a store in New York but that will take some time yet.
And yes the price in Portugal is the same price it is sold in States.

One report about it
(https://eco.pt/2016/09/30/claus-por...-lisboa-e-no-porto-a-seguir-o-resto-do-mundo/)

" After the shop in Lisbon, it is followed by Oporto, inaugurated in December. This will be a shop-museum, in a larger space. As in the Lisbon store, the architecture is the responsibility of the architect João Mendes Ribeiro, while the museum area and the shop windows had interventions by the architect Joana Astolfi.

With an investment of around 300 thousand euros in both stores, the financial results are not, for the moment, the main concern. "We do not find it very relevant at this stage. The stores are a demonstration of the brand's character. Obviously they are stores and therefore they have to sell, but what concerns us now is telling the history of the brand and the stores are a fundamental vehicle for this, "says Francisco Neto to ECO.

London, New York and all the rest

The investment comes after the acquisition of Ach Brito, which owns Claus Porto, by a group of Portuguese investors last year who want to reposition the brands to achieve greater international expansion in a process that is being closely followed by the fourth generation Of the family Aquiles de Brito.

"We have plans to open stores in new cities, not just in Portugal. But it will be done in due time. This is a job to do with great discretion and respect for history and, therefore, it will take the time it takes to be well done, "says Francisco Neto. In plans, he adds, are New York and London."

I noticed the price increase about a year ago ... and it seemed to be across the board wherever I looked.
Amazon, WCS, everywhere the price approximately doubled, without explanation.

I started a thread to discuss it, but nobody had any real answers to explain the jump in cost.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...sgo-Real-gotten-so-expensive-lately?highlight=

Its a shame, because MR is one of my favorite scents for Springtime rotation,
but the current price-point puts it out of reach for me.

And there's nothing else quite like it on the market that would be an easy replacement.
The scent is unique and the performance is legendary.

Last edited:
The brand undergoes a process of rebranding, which begins with a change in its visual image and image of Musgo Real and for that we have to pay more for the same product

For you in USA the price was already this but in Portugal we paid a little more than half but now by the prices practiced certainly many people will look for other products more in account and for that outside world there is so many good shaving products and Much cheaper, including other products made here in Portugal with a much better price and good quality
Semogue (brushes and soap) Antiga barbearia do bairro (all), Men's Estoril Sports Line, Veleiro, VIP (all shaving creams) 444 (After Shave Alumen stone, Hemostatic Pencil) etc
Now with the Internet and buying from it, is much easier to buy anything for shaving than in the old days and google will be our friend and our wallet friend even more :thumbup:

It's not unusual for imported products to be in-between US distributors for a time. I'd be surprised if it wasn't back in short order.

Musgo balm is easily the best I've ever used. That being said, I'm not so sure I'll lay down the cash for another bottle when others do a good job at a fraction of the price. I'm having trouble believing the difference in performance is worth that much more money.

Yeah once it got up to $40ish I kindof wrote it off, which is kindof too bad because I've never tried the AS and hear only good things, but that's just really pricey juice at over $10/oz when there's so many other producers I want to try at more reasonable price points.

I could get no answers from Musgo Real when I followed them on IG. They have since shut down the MR account and simply post from the Claus Porto. Total repackaging and the addition of the Musgo Classic Eau de Cologne which I am dying to try.

It is easily the best aftershave I have ever used and ration the half bottle I have left as its' price has nearly doubled. I will still restock it but will cease to use it daily as I used to

Top Bottom