What's new

Musgo Real Classic shave cream

I have the same issue if I run all Musgo, all the time. No problems with the a/s splash but I can't run the Classic cream very often. I must have an issue with lanolin

Some people do have a sensitivity issue with lanolin, and you could be one of them. But on balance, far more people have issues with scent. All the EU regulations on scent, which result in reformulation of popular colognes and such, are due to the fact that scent sensitivities are fairly common. Just based on the numbers, I'd say it's more likely you and Mormon Bridge are reacting to the fragrance in the Musgo cream, rather than the lanolin. FWIW, I also have a comfort issue with Musgo Classic (it tends to sting a bit on the second pass), and yet I have not had any issues with any other products containing lanolin. I presume it's the strong scent that my skin doesn't like. (Too bad, since my nose loves it.)

Side note: The Paula's Choice website gives lanolin a "good" rating, and notes a study published in the British Journal of Dermatology that says the overall percentage of test subjects who demonstrated a lanolin sensitivity was quite low (1.7%), and was lower still for products that have a lanolin concentration of 50%. Conversely, the folks at Paula's Choice are always advocating against using skin care products that contain scent, due to their likelihood to cause sensitivity issues.

Well, I am several shaves into my tube of Musgo Real Classic, and unfortunately, even though I like the way it lathers, and the great scent, my face is becoming sore, dry, and small red spots are showing up. I assume I am allergic to something in it. Too bad too, because I really liked this cream. The scent is great too. I guess that is the way of it sometimes.

I have the same issue if I run all Musgo, all the time. No problems with the a/s splash but I can't run the Classic cream very often. I must have an issue with lanolin

Some people do have a sensitivity issue with lanolin, and you could be one of them. But on balance, far more people have issues with scent. All the EU regulations on scent, which result in reformulation of popular colognes and such, are due to the fact that scent sensitivities are fairly common. Just based on the numbers, I'd say it's more likely you and Mormon Bridge are reacting to the fragrance in the Musgo cream, rather than the lanolin. FWIW, I also have a comfort issue with Musgo Classic (it tends to sting a bit on the second pass), and yet I have not had any issues with any other products containing lanolin. I presume it's the strong scent that my skin doesn't like. (Too bad, since my nose loves it.)

Side note: The Paula's Choice website gives lanolin a "good" rating, and notes a study published in the British Journal of Dermatology that says the overall percentage of test subjects who demonstrated a lanolin sensitivity was quite low (1.7%), and was lower still for products that have a lanolin concentration of 50%. Conversely, the folks at Paula's Choice are always advocating against using skin care products that contain scent, due to their likelihood to cause sensitivity issues.

Interesting... I picked up a tube of the classic the other day and have had 2 days of less than pleasurable shaves, too.

I thought it might be that I was trying new blades in the razor. I had great shaves with the same blade (7OC Blacks) in a different razor, but with different soap/cream, so I was going to try same blade, different razor with the Musgo tomorrow just to be sure. I hope it's not the Musgo because I really like the scent (which reminds me of Irisch Moos).

I can add a pea sized amount of Musgo Classic cream in my Arko bowl and don't have an issue. My face just does better with tallow. I really want to try everything Irisch Moos! It sounds right up my alley

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Wow! Tossed this in my last order from Italian Barber just to get to free shipping range, so it was nearly free. I have used it twice, and what a great shave! I'm not crazy about the scent, but it does not bother me at all and I suspect it will grow on my over time. Fantastic after shave face feel with this stuff. Wonderful!

After letting it "air out" (read "open the tube and let it sit with the cap on"), it was fine for the smell the first time I shaved with it, almost made me gag. Any ideas?:blink:

After letting it "air out" (read "open the tube and let it sit with the cap on"), it was fine for the smell the first time I shaved with it, almost made me gag. Any ideas?:blink:

I'm not sure I understand what you're telling/asking us. First, you say you aired out the tube by letting it sit with the cap on. Presumably you mean with the cap off? Airing out the tube with the cap on makes about as much sense as attempting to pass gas while having a cork inserted up your backside. That said, I'm not sure why you wanted to air out the tube in the first place, but whatever. Then, you say the cream was fine and almost made you gag. Being fine and making a person gag strike me as mutually exclusive properties in a shaving cream, but maybe that's just me.

So, presuming you're asking what our ideas are on helping you not gag when using a cream that does make you gag, I have two:

- Try using a different cream. There are certainly enough out there that you don't need to force yourself to use one that induces esophageal spasms.

- Stop breathing. I can't guarantee the efficacy of this approach, but it should be interesting nevertheless.

- Stop breathing. I can't guarantee the efficacy of this approach, but it should be interesting nevertheless.

I think the efficacy of your solution is unquestionable. :laugh:

I find MR to be very fine cream indeed, nice shave and nice post-shave feel. I'm not sure I see what others do in the scent--it's nice, but nothing special--but it definitely doesn't make me gag! Good stuff.

I used this for the first time time today, I was very pleasantly surprised, slick, protective, lathered up very easily and provided a very nice, close shave. The Oak Moss scent is a winner as well.

I'm not sure I understand what you're telling/asking us. First, you say you aired out the tube by letting it sit with the cap on. Presumably you mean with the cap off? Airing out the tube with the cap on makes about as much sense as attempting to pass gas while having a cork inserted up your backside. That said, I'm not sure why you wanted to air out the tube in the first place, but whatever. Then, you say the cream was fine and almost made you gag. Being fine and making a person gag strike me as mutually exclusive properties in a shaving cream, but maybe that's just me.

So, presuming you're asking what our ideas are on helping you not gag when using a cream that does make you gag, I have two:

- Try using a different cream. There are certainly enough out there that you don't need to force yourself to use one that induces esophageal spasms.

i just us tread my post and even I couldn't understand it. :blink:

What at I meant to say was the first time I tried to shave with MR, I almost gagged the first time I shaved with it. I shaved with other stuff in the mean time and after a few months of the MR sitting in the drawer with the cap on (was going to PIF it), I went "I'll try it again since it gave me good protection". After a few months, the smell was "ok" (neither good nor bad, just neutral).

A couple things I learned. Give things another shot smell wise.
Make sure I have enough glucose in my brain when I post.
Re-read said post to see if it makes sense to me before posting. :001_rolle

I have used this cream about 12 times; I love the aroma and performance but it smokes my face. I don't have a sensitivity to lanolin, so it must be something else. I didn't read the entire thread, my 2 cents. I am going to give it another try.

I have a tube of the Classic scent and love it. I especially like the addition of lanolin which makes my freshly shaven face feel so smooth.

You guys should try the Musgo pre-shave oil, it's fantastic! I use it religiously and it prevents razor burn and enhances the shave. Musgo is a quality brand!

I'm using Musgo Real while on vacation (from the 3017 soap!), and I forgot how good it is! Love the scent. The density and cushion are great. Glide is great. Post-shave feel is great. If it doesn't irritate your skin and you dig the scent, it is a winner and possibly the best cream out there.

it is a winner and possibly the best cream out there.

I have a bunch of creams (including Musgo Real) that are the best cream out there. For today, at least! Tomorrow it will be another one! :tongue_sm

It's amazing how many great products are out there for our little niche. Good times!

And it's not my favorite! I'll take O Melhor from Portugal ahead of it. Erasmic has a so-so scent, but it's performance is great, even if you don't consider it is dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom