What's new

Muhle Rocca

Caveat emptor.

This how mine arrived (22 Nov). Purchase was through MuhleUSA.

Opened the package, unscrewed the handle from the base plate and cap. . . . .a blade guide / post fell out.

It appears the blade guides / posts are glued in place. Had I known, a purchase would not have taken place!

After contacting them, they felt the need to tell me, "Quality control is done in Germany, we receive the items and store them in a temperature control warehouse until time for shipping." I guess I should have asked them to ship the package in a "temp controlled" container!
proxy.php
lol

Refund? Only after the razor is returned to them. Comical!

Again, caveat emptor.

Muhle Rocca Broken Razor 1.jpg

Muhle Rocca Broken Razor 3.jpg

I am extremely happy the Birch Rocca was so expensive when I added it to my shopping cart because I almost bought one. I would NEVER buy one knowing this is how they make them.

Caveat emptor.

This how mine arrived (22 Nov). Purchase was through MuhleUSA.

Opened the package, unscrewed the handle from the base plate and cap. . . . .a blade guide / post fell out.

It appears the blade guides / posts are glued in place. Had I known, a purchase would not have taken place!

After contacting them, they felt the need to tell me, "Quality control is done in Germany, we receive the items and store them in a temperature control warehouse until time for shipping." I guess I should have asked them to ship the package in a "temp controlled" container!
proxy.php
lol

Refund? Only after the razor is returned to them. Comical!

Again, caveat emptor.

View attachment 839956

View attachment 839957

I'm curious... I don't know much about these Rocca razors, I assumed they were billet machined but after taking a look at the photos, they seem to be cast? Is that correct? I know they mentioned stainless steel, do they publish what grade of stainless?

The type of stainless steel is not published.

I read an article stating the heads are produced through a process similar to injection molding. The article made a point of telling how the heads aren't cast.

Most, if not all of Muhle's other razors, are cast in brass or steel and then chrome plated. I think the article was trying to make a definitive separation (as a means to elevate the new Rocca line from Muhle's run-of-the-mill lines. lol).

After a half year wait when they went back to the drawing board on their production technique, it appears they still got QC issues. I attempted to cancel my order just now. If it already shipped, I am crossing my fingers that I will get a good one, although how good can it be if they are gluing parts on.

@RazoRock, they should take lessons from you about building good razors.

This is really a big disappointment, i expected a better product from Mühle. A few month back when they were first announced and i was still using DEs, i wanted to buy one badly but they were always out of stock and there was a long waiting list at the vendor i usually buy from. It seems that was a good thing.

I bought the razor in belief that it will last like a good stainless steel razor. It is a disappointment that they clued parts in the head. Maybe it will last but still I probably would not bought it if I knew how they they are clued.

@ RazoRock. . .

To correct my previous statement about "injected molding" and "casting." I was able to find some additional information.

Evidently, the Version 1 heads were manufactured using a "metal injection moulding (MIM) process." There are indentations on the base and cap that are indicative of this process.

It seems the new, Version 2 heads are cast. There are no manufacturing marks on the base and cap.

@ RazoRock. . .

To correct my previous statement about "injected molding" and "casting." I was able to find some additional information.

Evidently, the Version 1 heads were manufactured using a "metal injection moulding (MIM) process." There are indentations on the base and cap that are indicative of this process.

It seems the new, Version 2 heads are cast. There are no manufacturing marks on the base and cap.
That's disappointing for what they are charging.

Thank you for clarifying.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I just came across this thread a moment ago and I was very interested in the razor until I kept reading and saw how poorly it is made. That's good, it saved me money since I won't be buying one now.
Once the word gets around I don't think they will be selling very many.

That's disappointing for what they are charging.

Thank you for clarifying.

No problem.

I agree. When you look at the Version 1 vs the Version 2 construction, the Version 2 shoddy at best.

Muhle needs to develop the "RazoRock" mentality. lol I say that jokingly, but it's true.

I picked up one of your SS Mamba's recently. Comparing the SS Mamba to the SS Muhle Rocca. . . .at best, the Rocca is scrap metal at twice the price.

From Muhle site

"
The ROCCA series
Beautifully simple, yet particularly masculine: This is the new ROCCA range of products. A little more modern, and more distinctive than much of what is known from MÜHLE, they are made from the finest and most durable stainless steel. But it has been worth the effort: These products are particularly durable and robust."

No problem.

I agree. When you look at the Version 1 vs the Version 2 construction, the Version 2 shoddy at best.

Muhle needs to develop the "RazoRock" mentality. lol I say that jokingly, but it's true.

I picked up one of your SS Mamba's recently. Comparing the SS Mamba to the SS Muhle Rocca. . . .at best, the Rocca is scrap metal at twice the price.
Thank you for the compliment.

I'm a big believer in billet machining. No other process is as exact and you truly get a razor built for a lifetime.

Top Bottom