What's new

Muhle R41 My Thoughts

I tried the R41, bought it twice but it always felt like it was pulling my whiskers out instead of cutting them. A lot of tugging. It was not smooth at all for me. I found the Fatip to be much smoother and just as efficient.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For chattter to commonly occur in a razor I think several factors are required.

1. A blade thin enough to flex with pressure that doesn't come straight at it's cutting edge. Most if not all DE blades? Check.

2. A razor design wherein the blade is not clamped tightly from top and bottom, or not clamped closely enough to the cutting edge.

I don't doubt that some experience chatter with the R41 given it's design. The Fatip as @shave/brush brings up is a very tightly clamped razor that never chatters. I can go ATG on my upper lip with the Fatip with no issue and it shave smoother than the R41 for me. BUT... the reason I'd pick the R41 over it is that it shaves closer and leaves my face feeling better with than the Fatip.

I used my Schone (same as Fatip) for the March Fixed four - stopped with a week and half left to try some new base plates for a manufacturer. But in two and 1/2 weeks of daily use with the Schone, it never felt as nice as what I got out of the R41 on day 1.

Generally I love rigidly blade clamping razors, or SE for that matter. Had no reason to think I'd like the R41, but gave it a try and loved it. Yup, not smooth compared to several other razors I have. You KNOW it's cutting hairs and which ones, but man, the end result, super close shave and zero irritation like no other razor I've used.

I've thought about getting a Muhle R-41 for my tough old whiskers, but not seriously.

I reason that if I would relate well to an R-41, then I also would enjoy my Fat Boy and Slim set at 9. But I don't.

this isnt the case, well for me anyway.. i have a slim 68', black beauty 73' and R41

i find the R41 smooth (when i ride the cap) but with plenty of blade feel, if i go steep it scrapes

Have tried the slim and black beauty at setting 9 and cant stand either, way to rough. my settings on these razors are around 6

I think the R41 is one of a kind. The design in unlike any other razor.

People mention chatter, and that there's play in the blade. Personally I can't understand why the sides of the blade are not properly supported.
It bothers me that Muhle as never tweaked the baseplate. The cap doesn't bother me because its easy to use/try a cap from another razor, but even doing that you have to be careful to not overtight the razor. If you do, and exactly because the end part of the blade is not supported, it can bend the blade in a way that is not uniform across the baseplate.

Top Bottom