What's new

Muhle R41: Holy Cow!

Just received an R41, and I must say, that is the most aggressive razor I have ever tried. I would say it's about as close to a straight as you can get. I use Joris OCs all the time, actually exclusively, so my technique is pretty good, but the Muhle needs to be handled very carefully. What a great razor!

You can certainly feel the blade in an R41. Even a smooth blade like an Astra.

Yesterday, I shaved with my R41 for the second time and you have to be extra careful. I used it for the first pass only and it removed more whiskers than any of my other razors.

I can't figure out why more guys aren't shouting from their rooftops about how great the new 2013 Muhle R41 is.

Here is a beautifully-made, relatively inexpensive razor that shaves closer than any razor I own. Other than my Cobra, I have never experienced a razor that shaves so close, but does so with essentially no irritation - even with a Feather blade. If you had bad experiences with the 2011 version as I did, you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

My standard shave is 3 passes plus a touch-up. With the R41, I can get a BBS shave in 2+ passes, which is another reason it's less irritating.

I can't figure out why more guys aren't shouting from their rooftops about how great the new 2013 Muhle R41 is.

Here is a beautifully-made, relatively inexpensive razor that shaves closer than any razor I own. Other than my Cobra, I have never experienced a razor that shaves so close, but does so with essentially no irritation - even with a Feather blade. If you had bad experiences with the 2011 version as I did, you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

My standard shave is 3 passes plus a touch-up. With the R41, I can get a BBS shave in 2+ passes, which is another reason it's less irritating.

+1 :thumbup1:

I purchased the R41 a few weeks ago and I really like it. I still do 3 passes as I did with my safety bar but I don't need any touch up and I need less attentiveness to other areas. After the initial getting used to, it really feels fine and it sure shaves close and clean.
The only problem is that I find I can't use it everyday, as I have. I've used it with Feathers and Astras and both blades only last 3 shaves in the R41. Normally I get a week out of these blades in a standard razor.

I love my 2013 R41

Hmmm... How do you tell you are getting the 2013, as opposed to an old stock 2012 off somebody's shelf?

Cheers

I was wondering how to tell also. I just bought mine a few weeks ago and i have no clue what it is. Someone here mentioned measuring the head and if it's ___mm compared to the old ___mm then it's a 2013. Haha...I need something designed for simpletons. Like a date stamp!!!!b:001_tongu

I think, repeat, THINK the old head is 18 mm and the new one is 20 mm. I guess I could get off my lazy butt and go measure mine. If someone doesn't verify that I'm correct I will. Eventually. Maybe.

So there are 3 different r41s now?

At least 4! In June 2011 Mühle introduced the new R41, that's the type of razor we are talking about. This was very aggressive, so they made some changes, very slight variations of the base plate, a wider Top cap etc. The change was made in autumn 2012, until the razor arrived in shops it was 2013. So these two R41s are named the 2011 and 2013.

From 2009 till 2011 Mühle offered an open comb named R41, using the open combs made by Merkur. The head was like a Merkur 11.

And until 2009 Mühle had an open comb using the same head as Joris or Fa Tip razors. But at that time they named it R89. Nowadays R89 is the name of their closed comb, while R41 is the open comb. Very confusing!

At least 4! In June 2011 Mühle introduced the new R41, that's the type of razor we are talking about. This was very aggressive, so they made some changes, very slight variations of the base plate, a wider Top cap etc. The change was made in autumn 2012, until the razor arrived in shops it was 2013. So these two R41s are named the 2011 and 2013.

From 2009 till 2011 Mühle offered an open comb named R41, using the open combs made by Merkur. The head was like a Merkur 11.

And until 2009 Mühle had an open comb using the same head as Joris or Fa Tip razors. But at that time they named it R89. Nowadays R89 is the name of their closed comb, while R41 is the open comb. Very confusing!

thanks, i guess i tried the 2011 version, the "new" one, but not the newest. thats a wreck of a branding situation.

I had a Fatip Picollo which apparently had a head very close to the 2011 version. I'm interested to hear more reviews about the new one.

I bought one here on BST gave me a DFS but my finally Noxzema met it's match in terms of irritation. I would trade my sensitive skin in for a nice leathery mug any day.

Top Bottom