What's new

Muhle R-41 Relook

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A few years ago when I first started the wet shaving experience I declared, rightly so, the Muhle R-41 to be the most dangerous razor in the world. I promptly got rid of mine and included a band-aid in the shipment to the buyer.

I have now moved across many DE, Injector, and shavettes into the straight razor minefield. By and large I have enjoyed a good level of success. I have developed a very gentle and relaxed (but attentive) technique of shaving while respecting these razors.

Last week I saw an ad for the Muhle R-41 and, I suppose due to the boredom of Covid-19 isolation, I ordered one. I have now enjoyed 3 very pleasing shaves with this open comb razor. No cuts or nicks and a very smooth shave.

They are no longer the most dangerous razor in the world... but still bear watching.

They must have changed how they are making them... the only possible explanation.

Was your original R41 a 2011?

I don't think of the R41 (2013) as being a mild razor in any sense. It's a tad prone to jumping out of the bushes and biting me. That said, used at a steep angle, it's a very much useable and decent razor. I like mine.

R41.2.Chrome.RoseGold.640.7-18.JPG

The Rose Gold R41 is better! It's hard to beat.

People bad mouth the handle but I think it one of the best handles I've used.

As we all learn, much is our technique.

R41 Fanboy. FOAM'R.41.png

Still, some razors are very good. The R41 is one of them I think. Not the only one, but one for sure.

Hard to beat a Fatip Mk1 (Meme).jpg

Folks say the Mk1 Fatip is "aggressive." I have no idea what they're talking about. I enjoy my Mk1 more than most DE razors.

Fatip OC Slant (meme).480.png

Admittedly the R41, as good as it is, and the Mk1, too, have both been surpassed by the Fatip Open Comb Slant which is the best DE razor in my opinion and experience (not that I've used every DE of course).

Much is technique but some is the razor.

So, what about that R41? If your original R41 was a 2013 the answer is clear and congratulations are in order particularly if it's not biting you on occasion.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1612729427472.png

This looks like everything you don't want a Fatip to be.

BOSC.2.It sure sounds cray cray.jpg

I'll stick with "normal" crazy razors like the R41, the Mk1, and the iKon Tech (or Tek) when I venture to the wild side.

1612729701852.png

There are several razors, heads, and handles on sale at the iKon website including the Tech.

I have both the Tek and the Tech having bought an extra when I thought they were being discontinued. I paid a pretty penny for them and would have been been better off selling 'em short. The iKon company is strange in that sometimes their stock is so low it looks like they're fixing to fold. Not now of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

There are some aggressive razors out there. The Merkur Futur on #6 is no creampuff. Nor the Rockwell running the #6 plate. I own and use both on those occasions when a straight razor is not practical or convenient.
...........I also have a R41-2011 version............
In an inexperienced hand it is truly a tool of Satan. Want to REALLY dance with the devil?? Put a Feather blade in that spud. Watch the carnage unfold.

Top Bottom