What's new

Mühle at AP Shave Co.

proxy.php

Starting life as a small manufacturer of shaving brushes, Mühle have developed into one of the world’s leading suppliers of high-quality accessories for wet shaving. Mühle is still a family business to this day, with the third generation of the family leading the business. AP Shave Co. strongly believes Mühle's values align closely with theirs.

The Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF) knot is widely regarded as one of the best synthetic knots in wetshaving. AP Shave Co. is the exclusive dealer of Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF) knots without a handle!

AP Shave Co. is proud to stock Mühle products and looks forward to an incredible partnership in the years to come.

Shop Mühle STF at AP Shave Co. Here: https://apshaveco.com/collections/muhle-at-ap-shave-co

I received the email notification this afternoon, and 3 minutes later, I have a 25mm on the way. I'm really excited about this. I've tried the Edwin Jagger version of the Muhle in the past and did not like it, but I think it may have been one of the 'pokey' batches. I'm really enjoying the 26mm MiG, so I can't wait to compare!

I received the email notification this afternoon, and 3 minutes later, I have a 25mm on the way. I'm really excited about this. I've tried the Edwin Jagger version of the Muhle in the past and did not like it, but I think it may have been one of the 'pokey' batches. I'm really enjoying the 26mm MiG, so I can't wait to compare!
When you have a chance please share your thoughts on how these 2 knots compare to each other.

Reactions: cf1
I've been quite interested in the Mühle STF knot since it's been lauded as one of the best synthetic knots out there. So when the email from a AP Shave Co. arrived announcing the knot, I had to get one. I selected the 25mm Mühle STF XLarge x AP Shave Co. Alumihandle - Black Matte - Layered Comfort.

Alumihandle-Black-25mmMuhle-logos.jpg

When the package arrived I was surprised at how heavy it was. I opened it to find a smaller box that contained the brush. I open it and pulled the wrapper off and found the brush with a very cold handle. Granted it's an aluminum handle and it's been sitting outside for a while; and we just had a cold front go through.

Anyway, I took the handle to the sink where I shave and ran the knot and handle under warm water. The aluminum handle absorbed the heat quickly. I then proceeded to load the knot with some Stirling soap and built the lather in my hand. What I first noticed is the typical yogurty lather gained amazing volume. Still yogurty, but more volume. Perhaps due to the density of the knot. The knot is very soft and more dense than my other synthetic knots. Though the G5C may come close.

So far, I've use the brush twice for shaves. It's performed quite well. It doesn't stand out as night and day compared to my other synthetics, except that it holds lather very well. I'm not slinging lather all over the place. I can manage the lather that comes out at the base of the knot quite well -- just roll it onto my chin. My other synthetics tend to get soap everywhere.

What really stands out, though, is the handle. I thought the extra weight, due to the solid metal, would be an issue. It is not. The bulk of the weight is in the base of the handle which fits in my hand really well. Frankly, I'm surprised at how well the handle feels in my hand. Overall, this may end up being one of my favorite brushes due to the handle more than the knot. Though the knot is very nice. I can't wait to use it again.

I've been quite interested in the Mühle STF knot since it's been lauded as one of the best synthetic knots out there. So when the email from a AP Shave Co. arrived announcing the knot, I had to get one. I selected the 25mm Mühle STF XLarge x AP Shave Co. Alumihandle - Black Matte - Layered Comfort.

View attachment 1601034

When the package arrived I was surprised at how heavy it was. I opened it to find a smaller box that contained the brush. I open it and pulled the wrapper off and found the brush with a very cold handle. Granted it's an aluminum handle and it's been sitting outside for a while; and we just had a cold front go through.

Anyway, I took the handle to the sink where I shave and ran the knot and handle under warm water. The aluminum handle absorbed the heat quickly. I then proceeded to load the knot with some Stirling soap and built the lather in my hand. What I first noticed is the typical yogurty lather gained amazing volume. Still yogurty, but more volume. Perhaps due to the density of the knot. The knot is very soft and more dense than my other synthetic knots. Though the G5C may come close.

So far, I've use the brush twice for shaves. It's performed quite well. It doesn't stand out as night and day compared to my other synthetics, except that it holds lather very well. I'm not slinging lather all over the place. I can manage the lather that comes out at the base of the knot quite well -- just roll it onto my chin. My other synthetics tend to get soap everywhere.

What really stands out, though, is the handle. I thought the extra weight, due to the solid metal, would be an issue. It is not. The bulk of the weight is in the base of the handle which fits in my hand really well. Frankly, I'm surprised at how well the handle feels in my hand. Overall, this may end up being one of my favorite brushes due to the handle more than the knot. Though the knot is very nice. I can't wait to use it again.

Fantastic initial review - thank you for sharing! I encourage others to do the same and share some pics :)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

View attachment 1601034

Great review! Looking forward to getting/trying mine.

Posted my first shave with the Muhle here:

I have a 26mm MiG in the handle shape of the two on the right. It's wonderfully comfortable and feels great in the hand when face lathering. And the Muhle is a fantastic knot, at least equal to the MiG in my opinion. Excellent brushes here!

Here's a photo of them both, MiG on left, Muhle on right:

ap.JPG

Last edited:
I am just checking in here and would like to run my experience so far with my Shavemac/APShaveCo/Muhle STF XL brush. I purchased the brush on 8/5 and received it within 5-6 days and used it for the 1st time on 8/15. My journey with the brush has been documented over in the Brush forum, (link below), and its been somewhat of a struggle since the beginning and lets just say my experiences with the STF XL knot hasn't been remotely close to what most others have experienced with theirs!! It went from problems with splaying the knot to the knot shedding within 3 months of use.

I will say that while the brush does splay much easier today it is still very springy still but will also add that I have been very successful with making a very usable lather face lathering with the brush recently. The most troubling thing I have noticed with this brush is it has been shedding fibers over the past month+ and just in the last 4 shaves its shed 3 hairs and to date has lost more than 10 hairs and I'm starting to get concerned if this is normal or maybe its just an isolated experience and thought I should bring this over here to the @apshaveco thread...

These pics I took on 10/31 and if you look at it you will see a partial fiber that looks like it had broke and had curled up on the left side in one and the other is a fiber that came out while loading the brush and I laid it on the brush handle to take a pic after the shave.
SOTDTIBBGS.jpg

STF XL.jpg

I am just checking in here and would like to run my experience so far with my Shavemac/APShaveCo/Muhle STF XL brush. I purchased the brush on 8/5 and received it within 5-6 days and used it for the 1st time on 8/15. My journey with the brush has been documented over in the Brush forum, (link below), and its been somewhat of a struggle since the beginning and lets just say my experiences with the STF XL knot hasn't been remotely close to what most others have experienced with theirs!! It went from problems with splaying the knot to the knot shedding within 3 months of use.

I will say that while the brush does splay much easier today it is still very springy still but will also add that I have been very successful with making a very usable lather face lathering with the brush recently. The most troubling thing I have noticed with this brush is it has been shedding fibers over the past month+ and just in the last 4 shaves its shed 3 hairs and to date has lost more than 10 hairs and I'm starting to get concerned if this is normal or maybe its just an isolated experience and thought I should bring this over here to the @apshaveco thread...

These pics I took on 10/31 and if you look at it you will see a partial fiber that looks like it had broke and had curled up on the left side in one and the other is a fiber that came out while loading the brush and I laid it on the brush handle to take a pic after the shave.
SOTDTIBBGS.jpg

STF XL.jpg
10 hairs over the first month isn't in defect land quite yet, but if the problem persists let me know and I'll sort out an exchange or replacement for you! Cheers

Top Bottom