What's new

AP Shave Co 26mm and 24mm G5C Fan

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I now have two brushes with the AP Shave Co 26mm Fan and just got my first with the 24mm G5C Fan. In all three cases, I've had AP Shave Co set the loft, and that works great.

I REALLY like this Fan. It's currently right behind the STF (a more expensive knit) in my pantheon of brushes/knots.

Question is, what is the optimum loft that @apshaveco uses? I could measure with my caliper, but am not confident of my accuracy.

Andrew @apshaveco what is the optimum loft for the G5C? And is it different for the 26mm Fan vs the 24mm Fan?

Thank you Andrew! :)

I now have two brushes with the AP Shave Co 26mm Fan and just got my first with the 24mm G5C Fan. In all three cases, I've had AP Shave Co set the loft, and that works great.

I REALLY like this Fan. It's currently right behind the STF (a more expensive knit) in my pantheon of brushes/knots.

Question is, what is the optimum loft that @apshaveco uses? I could measure with my caliper, but am not confident of my accuracy.

Andrew @apshaveco what is the optimum loft for the G5C? And is it different for the 26mm Fan vs the 24mm Fan?

Thank you Andrew! :)
This post needs pictures. 🙂

Just set a G5C fan at 52mm (26mm bore hole). I asked APShave what the sweet spot was for loft of G5C fan. If i remember correctly, he emailed me that he likes the 24mm G5C and SynBads (bulb and fan) at 52.

I believe the website offers 50 to 58(?) loft if you place order. I think Im gonna have to pull this and raise it a bit. Its much denser/more backbone than the Synbads, and takes a little more time to get lather going. Face feel wise, to me at 52, is a couple notches less backbone that my 22mm D01 2B Fan or C5 Mistura. Tips of all 3 feel close in terms of
softness.

66C972B1-F581-4BC3-A84A-74EF865E53B6.jpeg

I set my 24mm G5C at 56mm loft and it's perfection!

Awesome splay, good backbone without feeling springy, and perfect lather flow through.

I think this knot has become my second favorite synth, behind the STF.
Although the G7 is also wonderful. It's like the G5C but with more presence on the face.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just set a G5C fan at 52mm (26mm bore hole). I asked APShave what the sweet spot was for loft of G5C fan. If i remember correctly, he emailed me that he likes the 24mm G5C and SynBads (bulb and fan) at 52.

I believe the website offers 50 to 58(?) loft if you place order. I think Im gonna have to pull this and raise it a bit. Its much denser/more backbone than the Synbads, and takes a little more time to get lather going. Face feel wise, to me at 52, is a couple notches less backbone that my 22mm D01 2B Fan or C5 Mistura. Tips of all 3 feel close in terms of
softness.

View attachment 1532044

I set my 24mm G5C at 56mm loft and it's perfection!

Awesome splay, good backbone without feeling springy, and perfect lather flow through.

I think this knot has become my second favorite synth, behind the STF.
Although the G7 is also wonderful. It's like the G5C but with more presence on the face.
Excellent information. Thank you Gentlemen! :)

The G5C is right behind the STF in my personal synthetic knot pantheon. We really do have an abundance of excellent synthetic knots these days. :)

I'm loving the 24mm G5C at 56mm loft.
Plenty of backbone and density with a really responsive splay. No mashing required and no hint of flop either.
I don't recall my overall measurements for loft and am not measuring anything right now, but I personally put a 26mm G5C into a handle with only a 12mm depth (the knot went only 12mm into the handle using spacers) (checking the AP website, I guess this means it's at 53mm (65 mm less 12mm = 53mm) if I'm correct). It's a lovely knot. Not my favorite, but it's sure close and a pleasure to use. I put a SynBad knot into a handle with the same 12mm depth, and I like that more. The Synbad is super soft and feels like a synthetic, but I think I like it a bit more than the G5C. The TnS QMoon still reigns as the supreme synthetic in my den.

Now, if the fibers/hairs on the G5C were just a big longer, it might be a winner. If my math's correct, then maybe the 3mm extra loft @nav mentioned (and @Jayboz too) can make the difference (only one way to find out—one day)? But then what would I have to complain about? Oh wait, this is B&B. There's always something.

The density of the G5 series does require a higher loft for optimal balance between backbone and splay.

Most synthetics can get away weigh 52mm loft but not so much the high density of the premium synthetics like G5x, STF, Evo, G7 etc.

The TnS Qmoon and Fmoon were my favorites for a long time. I sometimes wish I hadn't sold them but I use the STF XL 80% of the days.

I don't recall my overall measurements for loft and am not measuring anything right now, but I personally put a 26mm G5C into a handle with only a 12mm depth (the knot went only 12mm into the handle using spacers) (checking the AP website, I guess this means it's at 53mm (65 mm less 12mm = 53mm) if I'm correct). It's a lovely knot. Not my favorite, but it's sure close and a pleasure to use. I put a SynBad knot into a handle with the same 12mm depth, and I like that more. The Synbad is super soft and feels like a synthetic, but I think I like it a bit more than the G5C. The TnS QMoon still reigns as the supreme synthetic in my den.

Now, if the fibers/hairs on the G5C were just a big longer, it might be a winner. If my math's correct, then maybe the 3mm extra loft @nav mentioned (and @Jayboz too) can make the difference (only one way to find out—one day)? But then what would I have to complain about? Oh wait, this is B&B. There's always something.

I really like the G5C. I've never had the Muhle silvertip fibre, so that interests me except that I prefer fan shape over bulb. The made in Germany and the Titanium Simpson rebrand also interest me.

Top Bottom