What's new

Mr. Mizuochi Ryōichi video

Wow. So many things to take from this video. No wonder the Iwasakis I bought new arrived so shave-ready.

• Stone oriented long side toward sharpener
  • Nakayama finisher
  • Stone at lap level. I've noticed how much better it is if I do that, either in-hand, or standing over my table
  • Nagura. Not soaked, just moistened
  • Additional water applied at edge of stone with fingers
  • Circles first, then non-rolling X-strokes
  • "The edge is too sharp now, so polishing it with diamond paste" (!) (on cloth, and using almost perpendicular strokes)
I think I know what I'll be playing with over the next few weekends. Thanks for the pointer to such great information.

I like seeing him do even number of strokes on each side. A lot of people say 6 or 7 strokes on the omote to one stroke on the other. I tried that on my first kamisori and all it does is wear down the omote side prematurely. One to one ratio works much better for me.

Reactions: JPO
Nice video. It is great to see Mizuochi-san out of the workshop and so smartly dressed.
I will say that the subtitles do leave out some things out, not necessarily key information
but little tidbits that make the vedeo more endearing. For example, when he talks about
the Mikawa nagura stones, he mentions that they are from the birthplace of Tokogawa Ieyasu.

I have a kamisori, purchased from his shop a year ago. That razor is sharp! I have never honed it or touched it up. I shave with the "factory edge" and only strop the razor very lightly. I would like to know what grit diamond paste he uses, but the subtitles do not say. Perhaps @Sukeroku was able to discern that information?

I have a kamisori, purchased from his shop a year ago. That razor is sharp! I have never honed it or touched it up. I shave with the "factory edge" and only strop the razor very lightly. I would like to know what grit diamond paste he uses, but the subtitles do not say. Perhaps @Sukeroku was able to discern that information?
Good question. I had the same question when watched the video. I watched it several times last night, but Mizuochi-san does not seem to indicate the diamond paste grit he uses. I bought an Iwasaki Kōsuke razor recently from a Japanese barber and when I asked the seller about maintaining the edge (which was superb), he spoke of balsa stropping with 200,000 grit diamond paste. I am going to try to make a trip to the Sanjoseisakujo foundry next month. If I do, I can ask Mr. Mizouchi about the diamond paste. If you cannot wait that long, I noticed on the Japanese version of this video that Sanjoseisakujo answers questions in the comments section, even in English. Why not ask Mr. Mizuochi yourself? I have added the Japanese version (no subtitles) below.

Looks like 1 micron paste from this screenshot at 4:08.
Screenshot_20220615-171923_YouTube.jpg

An edge honed edge-leading should not need deburring.
Maybe , but didn't Iwasaki himself recommend using a felt block to deburr after honing ? I'm pretty sure I saw a video of him doing that after honing.

I just go from stone to strop myself, but why else would he say the blade was too sharp, and then use diamond paste ?

Maybe , but didn't Iwasaki himself recommend using a felt block to deburr after honing ? I'm pretty sure I saw a video of him doing that after honing.

I just go from stone to strop myself, but why else would he say the blade was too sharp, and then use diamond paste ?
I...don't know. I want to try it and see what it does. My first thought was to soften the edge a bit, but I'm not entirely happy with that speculation.

Matt (not actually a Sith lord)”, But actually, a sharp-eyed Detective.

So, first rule of honing… there are No Rules. Whatever works…

“An edge honed edge-leading should not need deburring.”

There is always a burr or fin, off a stone. It is why an edge that will not cut hair, will pop a hair after stropping on linen and or leather.

Top Bottom