What's new

Motorcycles

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m sure it’s posted here somewhere but my other bike is a Honda Rebel 300. I still have it. Still a fun bike to zip around town on.

86F7164D-EEE2-4764-9E17-3AB73E48F200.jpeg

DE30B850-3678-4DE0-902D-34422E90E75F.jpeg

I took the same class back in December. It was a Tuesday-Wednesday class, the 21st/22nd the week of Christmas. Only 3 of us in that class. We did half a day in the classroom the first day. Covered the MSF workbook. Answered a bunch of questions collectively and boom, were told we passed the written test. We then did 1.5 days on the riding course. None of us ever duck walked and we all did the exercises as we were supposed to. At the end of the 2nd day we were given the option - She said we could all take the riding skills test one by one and she would grade us OR we can call it good as is and sign our certificates because the skills test was 9(?) of the same exercises we just did and she felt confident we would pass them all in an actual exam. But we had to be unanimous in our decision.

So duh, naturally the 3 off us were like “yeah, we’re good, let’s sign the certificates”. :lol: So not only did we not take the written test, we also did not “technically” do the riding skills test. I even told my work buddy that they would probably do it all the same way they did for me. Apparently they did the actual paper test and actually one by one ridding skills test. But…sounds like the instructor might be letting some folks sneak by so maybe they don’t have any students that fail. I’m not sure. But my buddy said they docked him a point on the riding test and gave this duck walking girl a 100%. My work buddy got a motorcycle 2 months ago and has been riding it all over the place before he actually took the class. He has cycle experience from several years ago so he had no trouble, he basically did it just to refresh his skills and easily get the endorsement from the DMV.

I read the MSF manual cover to cover and went through and actually wrote down answers to all the questions in every chapter of the MSF book before the class. I’m confident I would have passed the MSF course regardless of actually doing the exams or not.
I have no doubt that you, as a prepared student, would have done just fine on the Written and the Skills Eval, had they actually been scored. And with three students, the RC would have had ample time to observe and evaluate.

That said, if I were the Site Manager for that training site, like I was for mine, I would be looking for new coaches. There is a training curriculum in place for a reason, and it includes individual evaluation for a reason. When you're out for a ride, it's you on the bike, not you and your classmates, and traffic and the road can be unforgiving.

Maybe that site is hurting for students and doesn't want to risk bad reviews from students who - appropriately - don't pass the course and get grumpy about it. Unfortunately, not evaluating students honestly does them a huge disservice because riders who aren't ready get released into the wild and that can have terrible consequences.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yeah it’s a more modern look for sure. But I do like the vintage look of old bikes. I would enjoy a 80’s or 70’s style Honda. I really like the cafe racers because they have that old school look to my eye.

I still have my '85 600 Ninja that I bought new when I got out of college. I also have a 2001 Yamaha WR250F dirt bike. I haven't ridden either lately though . . . . unfortunately.

Just sold my last bike (last year) after 50 years of riding. I've owned quite a few, most recently a Yamaha Bolt. Before that: HD Street Glide, HD Fatboy, HD Sportster, Kawasaki 900 Eliminator, and others going back to a 1974 Honda 750.

Last year, a deer ran into my SUV one night. Wiped out the entire side of my vehicle - nearly $7000 in sheet metal and paint - and I never even saw the deer. It jumped into my front fender and bounced down the driver's side.

Being 64, I figured that I had a pretty good run, being able to avoid an accident on my bikes for 50 years, but I couldn't get past the idea of hitting a deer on my bike - and sold it. Now a days I can be spotted with my wife and doggie on our ATV.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just sold my last bike (last year) after 50 years of riding. I've owned quite a few, most recently a Yamaha Bolt. Before that: HD Street Glide, HD Fatboy, HD Sportster, Kawasaki 900 Eliminator, and others going back to a 1974 Honda 750.

Last year, a deer ran into my SUV one night. Wiped out the entire side of my vehicle - nearly $7000 in sheet metal and paint - and I never even saw the deer. It jumped into my front fender and bounced down the driver's side.

Being 64, I figured that I had a pretty good run, being able to avoid an accident on my bikes for 50 years, but I couldn't get past the idea of hitting a deer on my bike - and sold it. Now a days I can be spotted with my wife and doggie on our ATV.
Smart man. I don't ride the motocross type of stuff anymore. I don't bounce like I used to.

Top Bottom