What's new

Motorcycles

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This was me. My wife made me sell my mopeds. She's afraid I'll bleed to death with my anticoagulation medicine. I'm still here, 15 plus years later, so maybe she's trying to kill me with boredom? LOL.

It's hard for an adrenaline junkie to slow down. But I MAY have her convinced to get an electric assist bicycle. Or 2?

I need to see if the bike trail thru my town/county allows them, because I DO need exercise, badly, but my lungs are shot, heart not better.

The road we live on has become a drag strip since my town built a brand new police station on the opposite side of me and closed the old one. So I hate even WALKING on my road anymore. Seriously, I think I'm gonna have to do what my Dad did for fun. He was a Bad As.. Actor. Yeah, that'll do. He'd stand out by our road 50+ years ago and hold a hand full of gravel in his hand and any punk driving too fast down our newly paved road got the gravel thrown at them. It eventually stopped the problem.

You can always drive to the bike trails and go for a walk. I wish I had some trails around me. I loved leisurely biking (bicycle) down the trails and back.

I have both motorcycles and mountain bikes. I enjoy both, but feel like an e-bike might fill the gap. I take a bicycle with me when we are in our travel trailer. I take a folding bike if we are traveling and stopping a lot. If we are staying in one park for a while, I take a mountain bike. I think an e-bike might let me venture further from the park. I have given them a look. They sure are expensive. If I drop that much money one one, I want one that parts availability won't be an issue down the road.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You can always drive to the bike trails and go for a walk. I wish I had some trails around me. I loved leisurely biking (bicycle) down the trails and back.
Amen. THIS is my plan, once the weather breaks. No need to get into on here, but the last week or so has convinced me that I need to take my physical health seriously. We live about 3 miles from a beautiful walking/bike trail that my local tax dollars are helping support.

Y'all make it hard to stay off the bikes, though so far I am holding strong. After being run off the road, I just don't feel comfortable with a bike, unless it is a weekend. But wow, some great bikes here. I sure do miss the ride.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
What BMW is that? I have plans to get a touring model this summer. Either a HD Road or Street Glide or the BMW R 1250 RT. Right now I’m leaning toward the BMW. But I wanna sit on and test drive all 3.
2010 R1200RT. It was a great bike. I’m sorry I sold it. When I wanted to carve up the road I rode the BMW. When I wanted to lean back and listen to the rumble I rode one of the Harleys.
I’m sure if I hit that deer with the BMW the outcome would have been much different. My wife was on the back when we hit the deer and I was sure to thank her for the extra momentum. The stitches came out the following week.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
After my BMW, later models went to liquid cooling around the exhaust valves, a multi plate wet clutch, and more displacement. My riding days are nearer the end. Time for a Corvette.

CF8682AE-546E-4089-9CBB-DD5EF6FFA14C.jpeg

Had a number of BMWs over the years. This was my last. 2019 R1250RT.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Hitting deer is no fun. I hit one 10 or 15 years ago at about 55 mph. I went into a high-speed wobble, but was able to get it back under control.
There was a leather shop in my area that catered to bikers. The widow ran it for years after her husband hit a deer going to breakfast on a Sunday morning.
View attachment 1402703
Had a number of BMWs over the years. This was my last. 2019 R1250RT.
Nice looking bike. I really miss mine. BWW’s history is interesting. They started out manufacturing aircraft engines. When the bottom fell out of the market for aircraft engines due to the end of the war they started producing motorcycles using their engine technology.
The thing I didn’t like about BMW bikes was their maintenance philosophy. When they started using Can Buss technology the dealer had to reset the service reminder display and update the computer to reflect the warranty service was performed. Someone did make a hardware and software interface to accomplish the updates, but it wasn’t cheap. So basically you were dependant on the dealer for warranty work.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That’s what I have my eye on but 2022 model. I like the fact that there is no gaudy passenger seat and back rest. But, the plus side with having that seat and backrest is the added speakers and “trunk”. So IDK.
Sooner or later some gal is going to want a ride.
You'll be glad you have the passenger seat.

The passenger seat height of the newer RTs is rather tall. Can be problematic for short and/or older, less flexible people.

I rode a succession of BMWs from 1981 to 2013. Then I had a couple of Hondas, which were nice but not what I wanted. I have owned two Moto Guzzis since then. The picture is the latest one. I like it. It’s mid-displacement, aircooled, and shaft drive. If BMW made a similar bike today I’d buy one. I remember my old aircooled Beemers with affection.
Jack

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    970.4 KB · Views: 6
I took my '16 Yamaha XSR900 in for some scheduled service back in June and rode back home on this retro:

View attachment 1347075

It was two weeks away from my 60th birthday, so I was like why not... probably my last bike. It was in our garage for over a week before my wife even realized it was a different bike, which based on her reaction was fortunate for me. :a53: Admittedly, I've had 5 different motorcycles in the last 13 years but this one finally ticks all the boxes.
She's a beaut! Does it get the handlebar vibe that the z1000 had in the mid-range?

Top Bottom