What's new

Most protective cream or soap

Just gauging opinions on what you guys may deem as the most protective , cushioning cream or soap you have ever used? I love the T&H Ultimate comfort, but just want to change things up a tad.

From the ingredients list it looks like T&H is still using the Creightons base or a close copy. Any cream made with that base or similar should perform great. It really depends on what scent you want.

I can make a good protective lather with any cream or soap that has stable enough lather. It's just a matter of finding the optimal water/product ratio IME.

The last time I shaved with Barbus (jar version) I went a little overboard with loading and that stuff made some insanely dense lather that was not drying at all. Downside is the industrial soap scent, but my jar is old and that's faded a bit. A new jar isn't going to smell as nice as one of the English brands.

Sorry if that wasn't the answer you wanted. Questions like this seldom have an easy answer. Consensus doesn't exist either - sorry.

THe best for me was Blue Devil Shave Soap, but the they are out of business.

Second place is Soapy Science soaps. Fantastic, highly underrated soap.

For my last few shaves, I used a trick that an acquaintance of mine told me.
As soon as I get out of the shower, I apply CeraVe Hydrating Lotion to my face while it's still damp. During this time, I start the preparation for the shave, install the foam in a bowl, start the razor, and so ten minutes later I apply the foam to the lotion that has not yet dried. This is the cleanest, smoothest and most hassle-free shave I've ever had in my life, even though I use an aggressive R41 razor. Under these conditions, any soap and cream do an ideal job without even being expensive.

THe best for me was Blue Devil Shave Soap, but the they are out of business.

Second place is Soapy Science soaps. Fantastic, highly underrated soap.
I've never heard of soapy science soaps, but I looked them up and I am intrigued. Their first two ingredients are tallow, stearic acid, then water. Is this a firm croap or hard soap? I tend to like the more firm tallow based shave soaps.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I was hoping for something more sexy

proxy.php

Sexy enough for you?
😍

Just gauging opinions on what you guys may deem as the most protective , cushioning cream or soap you have ever used?
Most work well provided you use the correct water:soap ratio. I have not used that many but Proraso, Cella, Mitchell's Wool Fat are good soaps and TfOBS are good creams.
Hard soaps like MWF take more loading time so you have to hone the the mix ration and load time by trial and error.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Somewhat heretical, but I use smurf-blue glycerine heavy GEL sometimes, particularly for aggressive razors its more effective than my usual Cella, Palmolive or Razorock soap or cream.

Top Bottom