What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

Sent Lee payment for my first, new to me, M&F brush. Now the wait for it to show up begins. Getting an L7 in Ivory with 25mm 2-band Finest knot. I have been able to acquirer a couple 2XL brushes on the BST in Blonde Badger and Finest and they are outstanding brushes. It will be nice to have one that I am the first owner of.

Lee just emailed back saying it should be sent out Wednesday. Pretty quick. We should both receive ours soon. Couple weeks maybe? Can't wait.

Lee must have made a mistake when telling me which knot was in which brush. The blonde is definitely in the butterscotch handle. It was noticeably rougher.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Lee must have made a mistake when telling me which knot was in which brush. The blonde is definitely in the butterscotch handle. It was noticeably rougher.

There is a significant degree of heterogeneity within the population of Rooney and M&F brushes with so-called Heritage hair as well as among M&F brushes made with just plain, old, ordinary Blonde Badger. I pretty sure there is no Heritage badger genotype. In fact, I'd bet my brush collection on it.

The softest 2-band brushes I own are my prototype Chiefs from the M&F Group Buy. The scritchiest (to me) 2-band brushes I own are the ones with the legendary old-Rooney Finest hair. I have two or three M&Fs with Finest labels and, presumably, knots made with hair that Lee would classify as Heritage grade, none of which compares in softness to my Chiefs.

I suspect (not in any cynical sense) that sorting of so-called Heritage hair and/or knots often has as much, if not more, to do with appearance (e.g., whiteness and length of tips) and density than feel. In any case, there are differences between batches from one year to the next, and as hair is sorted and re-sorted, there can also be differences within batches over the course of a year (or more). I'd guess sometimes essentially new batches (or partial batches) are made by combining dwindling batches.

I'm as big a fan as any of both Lee and M&F brushes. But I don't attach a great deal of significance (at least not in terms of objective characteristics) to labels.

Last edited:
I ended up with a Chief similar to the group buy one. I honestly would have considered something more unique, but I didn't know about the group buy until after I put in my order. I just saw one on the wiki, and it was exactly what I wanted. Based on my conversations with Lee, he recommended a knot on this that is 25 mm with a 51/52 mm loft. I haven't measured it to know exactly, but it feels pretty much perfect for what I wanted. The handle shape is very ergonomic. I have also included a pic of it next to my Simpson Berkeley for comparison.

$2014-06-02 20.00.38-2.jpg$2014-06-02 20.01.53-2.jpg$2014-06-02 20.30.30.jpg

One other thing, I first contacted him on April 3rd, and I sent follow-up emails on April 22nd and May 12th. He responded very kindly on May 13th. He said the brush would likely arrive in 5 weeks, but it arrived earlier on June 2nd.

I just told him the specs of the brush I have and what I liked and didn't like about. I also mentioned that I wanted to face lather. This thing hasn't even broken in yet, and it was phenomenal. I didn't mention whether or not I wanted Blonde Badger or Finest. I just said I wanted a softer knot, and I ended up with the Blonde Badger, perhaps adding further confusion as to the difference between the two. Either way, I couldn't be happier with it.

I have a question about gel tip hair. I've read through this thread and couldn't get a clear answer about what type of hair has gel tips. Is it only finest or can blonde or super have gel tips as well? I'm curious because I think my L7 is a gel tip, but it's labeled as blonde hair.

Last edited:
I have a question about gel tip hair. I've read through this thread and couldn't get a clear answer about what type of hair has gel tips. Is it only finest or can blonde or super have gel tips as well? I'm curious because I think my L7 is a gel tip, but it's labeled as blonde hair.

I don't have any M&F Blonde brushes with the Gel Tip hair, but my Heritage are both Gel tipped.

Top Bottom