What's new

Monserrat razor help

Hello! I am looking at a razor, but was unable o find much info on it. Can anyone chime in please? Unfortunaely the rest of the images are not that great...

monserrat.JPG

I would suggest posting whatever images you have, there hasn't been much help with the one provided, and whatever you can provide might give usable information

Thank you for the reply. I dug up some info on it alright. It really is a Jose Monserat. Pre-Filarmonica. Made in 1936. It has 4J and a cat symbol on the rand together with a 19356 stamp. I was just curious if it shaves as well as a Filarmonica. It is a 6/8 blade...

Thank you for the reply. I dug up some info on it alright. It really is a Jose Monserat. Pre-Filarmonica. Made in 1936. It has 4J and a cat symbol on the rand together with a 19356 stamp. I was just curious if it shaves as well as a Filarmonica. It is a 6/8 blade...

Cool I was going to suggest that name, but I thought it would have been a bad lead.

how long is the shaving edge? I'm wondering if this has lost some width from its OEM state,

I am not sure. The guy claimed it was 18mm wide which puts it a little over 6/8 width, but the length I am uncertain. Anyhow he decided not to sell it at the end. Initially I was going to buy it for 25€...

Sorry I was typing on the phone and made some errors. It is a cat symbol on the tang and 1936. It also says Monserrat and either J4 or 14. Original blade width is 23mm.. and the length is prob about 80mm. I saw a photo on Spanish site with dimensions...

not a bad price for a 14 in that condition. based on the dimensions this would leave you scratching your head why people liked 14s. It would shave, but the bevel angle would be huge without introducing "some" honewear.

I figured I will skip getting it. I ended up getting an ERN extra hollow 1166 7/8, I will give it a try.. The other razor that I have that seems kinda big is a vintage Le Grelot which says 6/8 on the tang, but it is 13/16. I might have to keep my eyes peeled for a decent 14 Filarmonica, but the prices are through the roof on those...

Le grelot and many of the other vintage manufacturers are measuring in a different way than modern typically.

the 14 is routinely documented as a 7/8s on the boxes. the measurement is coming from the edge to the oem side of the spine, not the spine back. that's probably why the ~+1mm on the le grelot is there..

That is pre Filarmonica, I have a couple of these, they are very Filamonica like in the way they shave.

That one has seen better days though, they were 7/8 or so as measure from thickest part of spine to edge.

Le grelot and many of the other vintage manufacturers are measuring in a different way than modern typically.

the 14 is routinely documented as a 7/8s on the boxes. the measurement is coming from the edge to the oem side of the spine, not the spine back. that's probably why the ~+1mm on the le grelot is there..

I was wandering about that. Thank you!

That is pre Filarmonica, I have a couple of these, they are very Filamonica like in the way they shave.

That one has seen better days though, they were 7/8 or so as measure from thickest part of spine to edge.

It sure has. Nearly 5mm gone from the width. On the plus side - no red rust..

Top Bottom