What's new

Mogno Shave Soap

Got the soap bar today but too late as I already shaved with Pre De Provence this A.M.
I decided to hand lather it & I got real thick creamy lather from the Mogno Bar soap.
It was easy to lather like PdP soaps.
It states its a Glycerin soap but does not lather like Conk or VDH soap.
It lathers more like PdP & Cade soaps.
I will use the Mogno for a full shave tomorrow.
Anyone have an insight to the Mogno Soap.? Thanks!

Does not melt like Conk. It does have an elastic feel when grated and easily fills a shave tube. And would press well into a bowl.

Some report skin irritation from Mogno. I have tough hide and have never had a problem.

I really like the lather and the scent. When I need another bar I will probably just use the bar as a wide shave stick.

...It was easy to lather like PdP soaps.
It states its a Glycerin soap but does not lather like Conk or VDH soap.
It lathers more like PdP & Cade soaps...Anyone have an insight to the Mogno Soap?...
It is a vegetable-based soap, with palm and palm kernel oil (i.e. non-tallow). It has more in common with PdP & Cade than Conk.

The Ach. Brito Musgo is pretty similar soap with a different scent, more like Musgo Real.

Mogno is a great inexpensive soap. Nice clean, mildly light cologne scent, yet complex enough to stay interesting. As mentioned, this soap is not what is typically refered to as a "Glycerin based" soap which is uslally refered to as a meltable M&P soap base that is usually translucent to start with but can have added butters and ingredients to change the color. With the case of Mogno this soap contains Glycerin like most soaps but is not a glycerin based soap. Plus the rectangular shape is a bit unusual since there are not many soaps that come in this shape which might be because most regular bath soaps are this shape, so not to be confused.

It contains glycerin (like many soaps) but is not to be considered a "glycerin soap" base.
Glycerin is a natural byproduct of the soap making process.

Insight to Mogno --> Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/ach-brito-mogno-a-new-old-school-classic.593821/

+1

I agree, Mogno is “glycerine enriched” as Ach. Brito states, but I do not consider it a glycerine soap.
Whatever it is, it is good - even if it takes some time finding the ideal container for the rectangular shape.

B.

First use of the sensitive cream, kindly provided by @Guido75
I wonder if the soap has the same scent? Extraordinary, very gentemen like scent.
The cream, like the soap, lathers into a cloud like amount.

Why do they call it mongo? That’s a terrible name.
It is actually mogno which is Portuguese for mahogany - I think it may refer to the basic scent notes, but I cannot state that for a fact based on the ingredients list. Ach Brito also produces Musgo which is Portuguese for moss. Obviously Lavanda by Ach Brito speaks for itself. I do have Lavanda and I think referring to @Jack Goossen ’s experience that a small/tiny dollop of cream lathers like a maniac.

Why do they call it mongo? That’s a terrible name.
Mogno - Mahogony
vs
Mongo
Mongo.jpg

It is actually mogno which is Portuguese for mahogany - I think it may refer to the basic scent notes, but I cannot state that for a fact based on the ingredients list. Ach Brito also produces Musgo which is Portuguese for moss. Obviously Lavanda by Ach Brito speaks for itself. I do have Lavanda and I think referring to @Jack Goossen ’s experience that a small/tiny dollop of cream lathers like a maniac.
This is what I like about B&B. The stupider your post is, the more likely it is that you get a brilliantly informative reply. I learn so much here by just making idiotic remarks. 👍

I believe that your number of informative posts outweigh the other ones but quite a significant margin my brother!
You’re too kind. I do throw in some intentionally fatuous posts to mix it up and be provocative sometimes and I find that they usually get the most generous and intelligent replies. It sort of renews my faith in humanity. I recommend it.

Ok ok enough guys, yoy sold it to me!!!
6€ in Greece, it's a steal.

I also read somewhere that Sego from Zingari is glycerin based soap.
I'm still laughing 🤣😁

Top Bottom