What's new

Modern Razor for Vintage Shaver?

Enjoy your new razor. The 6S was just a stepping stone for me.

At the end of the day I must agree with this-

With the caveat that my British Aluminum Tech gives me as good a shave and only cost me $5.
Did not want to downplay the vintage razors at all. I'd be hard pressed to choose between the Timeless and my Star 3 piece.

Did not want to downplay the vintage razors at all. I'd be hard pressed to choose between the Timeless and my Star 3 piece.
My vintage razors aren’t going anywhere and many of them will continue to be used regularly. Some of them (e.g, Gillette Old Type, etc.) are too aggressive for my face and are just collectibles, and others (certain cased sets) are too pretty for everyday use. I just thought it was time to sample some of the modern shaving technology. :001_cool:

I have been recommending the wolfman wr2 vey often since I got mine and its the best razor I have ever used. If your collection does not have one yet you should look to ordering one.

I have been recommending the wolfman wr2 vey often since I got mine and its the best razor I have ever used. If your collection does not have one yet you should look to ordering one.
I took a look at the prices for the Wolfman razor. Now that I have pulled myself up from the floor, I can honestly say that I would never even consider spending that much on a razor. :eek2: I set my upper limit at $100, and even that is pushing my luck. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I took a look at the prices for the Wolfman razor. Now that I have pulled myself up from the floor, I can honestly say that I would never even consider spending that much on a razor. :eek2: I set my upper limit at $100, and even that is pushing my luck. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Which is why I said RazoRock. Look no further 😉

I've got a Rockwell 6S on the way. If that works out OK, I'll definitely look at the RazoRock DEs.
Many people praise it. I haven't had the pleasure. The bulky head was a turn off for me. I hope you'll enjoy it.

If not, you can always get the Vector.

Eventualky that's what lies at the bottom of the rabbit hole... before you make a turn and go SR route 😂🐰

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

Hope your Rockwell rocks your world. But if not...

RazoRock Lupo Stainless Steel...$72 Canadian plus shipping. They have it in .72, .95 and a dual comb which is .72 OC with a .95 SB. It has brought my razor acquisition disorder to an end! The .72 shown below with a titanium TiBam handle! When I shave...I shave SMOOTH!

Kit 20210422.jpg

No worries i understand where you are coming from.

I just received my Rockwell 6S DE razor, thanks to a forum member. Very nice! The one thing I'm going to have to adjust to is the weight. Compared to some of the vintage Gillette DE razors I've been using, this thing weighs a ton. I kind of expected that since it's solid stainless steel. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning and see how it works out. I'll start on plate #3, which seems to be a good balance for a daily shaver with a fairly light beard. My biggest decision now is to choose a blade. I'll probably start with an Astra SP since that's my go-to blade for most of my razors. I'll let you know how it goes!

Now, this was a surprise. I was fully prepared for a fairly aggressive shave this morning. I installed the #3 base plate ("Average Skin, Daily Shave) in the Rockwell 6S, loaded a new Astra SP blade, did my usual prep (shower), face-lathered from a puck of Pre de Provence #63, and started in. I stopped after a few seconds to see if I had a senior moment and forgot to load a blade! Nope, it was there. Then I double-checked to make sure I had the #3 plate properly installed. It was correct. I completed two passes, one with the grain and one against the grain (my usual shave). Normally, I'd have myself a damn fine shave, needing only a little touch-up/blade buffing to finish. This time, I still had considerable stubble and some areas didn't feel much different than when I started. I gave up, grabbed the Gillette Milord I used yesterday (also with an Astra SP), lathered up again, and cleaned off the leftover stubble. Needless to say, I was surprised, and more than a little disappointed. I'm going to try again tomorrow, probably switching to the #5 plate and seeing how it goes. I sure hope I see some improvement. :confused1

Now, this was a surprise. I was fully prepared for a fairly aggressive shave this morning. I installed the #3 base plate ("Average Skin, Daily Shave) in the Rockwell 6S, loaded a new Astra SP blade, did my usual prep (shower), face-lathered from a puck of Pre de Provence #63, and started in. I stopped after a few seconds to see if I had a senior moment and forgot to load a blade! Nope, it was there. Then I double-checked to make sure I had the #3 plate properly installed. It was correct. I completed two passes, one with the grain and one against the grain (my usual shave). Normally, I'd have myself a damn fine shave, needing only a little touch-up/blade buffing to finish. This time, I still had considerable stubble and some areas didn't feel much different than when I started. I gave up, grabbed the Gillette Milord I used yesterday (also with an Astra SP), lathered up again, and cleaned off the leftover stubble. Needless to say, I was surprised, and more than a little disappointed. I'm going to try again tomorrow, probably switching to the #5 plate and seeing how it goes. I sure hope I see some improvement. :confused1
Told ya to get the Vector...

In my opinion, shave wise, there is only so much you can improve. The old chaps knew what they were doing and they kept it simple. These new razors are beautiful. Works of art. But do we really need razors made of titanium? Razors that last 1000 years? I have 2 daughters. I’m pretty sure when I pass on, my crazy expensive collection is going to be sold dirt cheap.

In my opinion, shave wise, there is only so much you can improve. The old chaps knew what they were doing and they kept it simple. These new razors are beautiful. Works of art. But do we really need razors made of titanium? Razors that last 1000 years? I have 2 daughters. I’m pretty sure when I pass on, my crazy expensive collection is going to be sold dirt cheap.

That's what my two daughters say, too. But my youngest granddaughter, on the other hand....

Hope your Rockwell rocks your world. But if not...

RazoRock Lupo Stainless Steel...$72 Canadian plus shipping. They have it in .72, .95 and a dual comb which is .72 OC with a .95 SB. It has brought my razor acquisition disorder to an end! The .72 shown below with a titanium TiBam handle! When I shave...I shave SMOOTH!

View attachment 1255509

In the end, that’s what we all have, a disorder. We really only need one razor.

Expanding your horizon from vintage Gillettes doesn't necessarily mean going modern. I have a load of vintage DE razors that aren't Gillettes, which by comparison are pretty mediocre compared to my vintage Leresche/Gibbs/Wardonia/Probak razors or the ASR/Personna Star DE (the Techier Tech, if you will).

I can recommend a couple of vintage-inspired new designs from PAA, the Leresche/Kirby Beard-inspired Prismatic and the Double Open Comb based on the Grand Shave King self-lubricating razor. The DOC can fool you; if you tighten the head all the way down it's a pretty mild and not so efficient razor; back it off about half a turn and it's a completely different, much more efficient shaving experience.

Those vintage Gillette’s are the best of the best if you ask me. Unless you’re looking for stainless steel of course, then it’s a whole different story, you have a lot of options I’m sure.

I have yet to try anything modern with the comfort and efficiency of a vintage Super Speed however, so can’t help you there.
Love my Super Speed. Just gets the job done. No questions asked.

Top Bottom